PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting reading for the history buffs

bumper678
05-12-14, 08:43 PM
Hiya folks.

I have been a huge fan of the silent hunters series for quite some time. Even though I take extended breaks from the games, I always seem to get pulled back in.

I currently work for a company that builds subs for the Navy. I am also a huge history buff, especially where subs are concerned.

I am not sure if someone has posted this before here, but in any case I would like to share a site that I found a few years back. It contains the patrol reports for every US boat during WW2. I have spent countless hours reading what our boats went through in the CO's own hand.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/subreports.htm

If it has been posted before...I apologize. Just would like to share the wealth I happened to stumble across.

o7

TorpX
05-12-14, 10:30 PM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

The hnsa site has been posted before, but that's ok, I'm sure there are people who haven't seen it yet.

Aktungbby
05-12-14, 10:38 PM
bumper678!:Kaleun_Salute: Just what is needed: another 'history buff'! I was gettin' lonesome!:yeah: And thanks for the post; at its base, Subsim, IMHO, is all 'bout history! At least one member is getting his PhD in it and several have at least BA's so your in a good place. Keep sharing the wealth.

raymond6751
05-13-14, 04:18 AM
I repeat the thanks.

This honors those who wrote the pages. It also gives a lot of ambiance to players of any of the SH versions.

Lots of reading ahead... :rock:

Jimbuna
05-13-14, 05:18 AM
Welcome to SubSim bumper678 :sunny:

Tombomsee
05-31-14, 06:51 AM
Hiya folks.

I have been a huge fan of the silent hunters series for quite some time. Even though I take extended breaks from the games, I always seem to get pulled back in.

I currently work for a company that builds subs for the Navy. I am also a huge history buff, especially where subs are concerned.

I am not sure if someone has posted this before here, but in any case I would like to share a site that I found a few years back. It contains the patrol reports for every US boat during WW2. I have spent countless hours reading what our boats went through in the CO's own hand.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/subreports.htm

If it has been posted before...I apologize. Just would like to share the wealth I happened to stumble across.

o7

Thanks a lot ! I am currently reading "Silent Victory" by Clay Blair Jr., now I have an excellent source for additional information ! :Kaleun_Applaud:

merc4ulfate
05-31-14, 09:53 AM
That is a good site to read ... I posted it months ago in a different thread after a discussion over tactics between game and real life skippers was taking place.

Some one was complaining at visual detections at 10,000 yards ... so I pointed to a WW2 skipper who had the same thing happen.

Shibster
06-15-14, 01:07 AM
I've just finished Clear the Bridge by Dick OKane. Now I'm on his Wahoo book. They are very well written, and I love reading them. Highly recommend.

Sailor Steve
06-15-14, 08:52 AM
I've just finished Clear the Bridge by Dick OKane. Now I'm on his Wahoo book. They are very well written, and I love reading them. Highly recommend.
We do have a special section just for discussing naval (and all other) books. :sunny:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=94071