PDA

View Full Version : Truk in the Fog

CapnDon
04-30-14, 10:19 PM
On patrol with USS Drum. Decided to enter Truk one night in the fog. This time we had radar which made it much easier than my last attempt in the fog.

Destroyers were patrolling the entrance, but managed to slip past them on the surface as visibility was low. Then, into the harbor. I found several ships at anchor. I set up with zero gyro angle, torpedoes set shallow. I aimed directly at each target, dialed in zero speed and AOB 90. With radar ranges were easy. I set up to fire at 1000 yards, single torpedoes at a time.

The first ship went up with a ball of fire and sank with a single torpedo. The second took three. A third went down with three as well. Then, on the way out, only having two torpedoes left, I went after one more. I hit it twice, but it didn't even start burning. So sad. Had to leave, still on the surface, and made it back to Midway with little fuel.

Refueled and loaded torpedoes, headed back to Truk. I marked all the ships while there, so it will be interesting to see if they are in the same place when I return.

Akotalaya
04-30-14, 10:33 PM
you got stuck with the drum too? haha..and let us know whats changed when you return

merc4ulfate
04-30-14, 10:43 PM
A guy got court Marshalled here for doing that so I wouldnt admit to sinking anything there let alone a carrier, Yamato, a few heavy cruisers and light cruisers or the destroyers around them ...

just saying ...:o

Akotalaya
04-30-14, 11:00 PM
why would a guy get court marshaled for playing his game the way he wants to play it? after all we bought the game so we could play how we wanted to play...

magic452
05-01-14, 01:30 AM
why would a guy get court marshaled for playing his game the way he wants to play it? after all we bought the game so we could play how we wanted to play...

It was a joke between friends. :haha:

Magic

merc4ulfate
05-01-14, 10:33 AM
I did not sink that ship out there
I did not sink it anywhere
For if it sank upon that reef
It was not my fish that it did eat

....................:har:.....................

TorpX
05-01-14, 11:12 PM
:rotfl2:

why would a guy get court marshaled for playing his game the way he wants to play it?

You can sink as many ships as you like, as long is the paperwork is right. :03:

Armistead
05-02-14, 01:50 PM
On patrol with USS Drum. Decided to enter Truk one night in the fog. This time we had radar which made it much easier than my last attempt in the fog.

Destroyers were patrolling the entrance, but managed to slip past them on the surface as visibility was low. Then, into the harbor. I found several ships at anchor. I set up with zero gyro angle, torpedoes set shallow. I aimed directly at each target, dialed in zero speed and AOB 90. With radar ranges were easy. I set up to fire at 1000 yards, single torpedoes at a time.

The first ship went up with a ball of fire and sank with a single torpedo. The second took three. A third went down with three as well. Then, on the way out, only having two torpedoes left, I went after one more. I hit it twice, but it didn't even start burning. So sad. Had to leave, still on the surface, and made it back to Midway with little fuel.

Refueled and loaded torpedoes, headed back to Truk. I marked all the ships while there, so it will be interesting to see if they are in the same place when I return.

To CapnDon

We can not credit any sinkings claimed by you or your crew without visual evidence such as pictures. While we enjoy outlandish tales, we advise to discontinue further behavior! Please report to base at once! Your next mission will be top secret, delivery of wiping paper to the marines at Guam.

The Admiral

merc4ulfate
05-03-14, 08:27 PM
LOL