PDA

View Full Version : SH4 & Win 8.1 Pro

Red Devil
04-30-14, 01:02 PM
I have been running Silent Hunter 4, (patch 1.04) from Ubisoft, since day 1 in various versions of windows including 8.1; now it wont work? With, and without, RSRDC. Even down to ver 1.04 with no mods. no luck. Ideas anyone? Win 8.1 has a auto compatibility software, which works in others but not SH4, even manual compat does not work, nothing new there.

Severely annoyed as I do not want to give up SH4 in my pc. I have it on my laptop on Win 7. :doh: I recently re-installed 8.1 from 8.

Amazigh1337
04-30-14, 01:32 PM
i'm running windows 8.1 aswel, but i have no problem with SH 4 (just got the game few day's ago)

the machine i'm playing with is a Asus X-Series laptop with this system spec. (not superb ofc.)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537u CPU @2.00GHz 2.5GHz
Installed memory (RAM) 8.00 GB (7,89 usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, 64x-based processor.

Amazigh1337
04-30-14, 01:35 PM
i'm running windows 8.1 aswel, but i have no problem with SH 4 (just got the game few day's ago)

the machine i'm playing with is a Asus X-Series laptop with this system spec. (not superb ofc.)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537u CPU @2.00GHz 2.5GHz
Installed memory (RAM) 8.00 GB (7,89 usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, 64x-based processor.

och, and don't count on the compability software, its **** and never worked, tons of games i cannot play anymore even with trying all settings of the compability system. (tried all kinds of stuff for erxample with Hitman: Absolution, which is according to microsoft perfectly compatible with 8.1 or XP if you have the 5th version)

Red Devil
04-30-14, 01:51 PM
Ok figured it out. This is the latest version of 8.1 and not the original I once used.

The auto compat required a reboot after installing SH4. Then run the program , exit to windows and then you get a pop up asking if it ran right as Win 8.1 has applied compat setting automatically.

I ran it, checked it, closed it and then put RSRDC patch and sounds mod back in - works fine. Still to see if any probs during game as I have not ran a scenario yet.

Amazigh1337
04-30-14, 02:06 PM
great, SH4 + patch worked from the start here tho, haven't turn off my laptop the past 3 months.

but glad it solved to you that way, the compability program doesn't want to work on mine.... i hate microsoft.... its all their fault ! :D

Red Devil
04-30-14, 02:23 PM
Manual compatibilty has NEVER worked for me but this was automatic and it ran fine. Just finished a saved patrol in an S18 with 5 ships sunk, so far so good. :Kaleun_Salivating:

Amazigh1337
04-30-14, 02:40 PM
hehe, my first kill in SH4 was also my most rediculess death, just made a post from that.. (i'm still a newb) even after 1.5y playing SH3

Red Devil
04-30-14, 03:27 PM
use RSRDC mod, its improves SH4 1.4 good. Any probs you can leave a meessage anytime, I am 'a bit' of a SH4 expert :know:

TorpX
04-30-14, 10:40 PM
Ok figured it out. This is the latest version of 8.1 and not the original I once used.

Good that you figured it out.

I have Win7, but I suppose, someday I'll be forced to use 8, *gulp*.

Red Devil
05-01-14, 03:45 AM
win 8 is good, but it is confusing at first because it works great on the pc/laptop but is made for touch screen. Persevere with it as it is a good solid platform and the icons are easily removed with right click and unpin. The start menu had changed into an icon based slide screen and, again, right click can uninstall anything you do not want like eg: Bing (I always use google).

IE11 is also quite solid and much better that 9 which I hated.

When you get your free upgrade from Mickeysoft for 8.1, it actually upgrades in the background whilst you are still using the pc, you do nothing. Your desktop is preserved, and all your settings but, as with the initial 8 setup, there are icons to be removed. moved or uninstalled. New features inmclude Windows Media Center, which was initially pay for with 8. Its now included, new features include a scan program.

I had probs and removed 8.1 back down to 8 on a complete re-install (not probs with windows) and then I got a flash screen offering me 8.1 for free and I thought ok, go on, its a new version and better than the original.

I am glad I went to 8.1 now.:yeah:

The whole reason for this thread was to do with compatibility with 8.1 but what I did not know was that, in 8.1, its automatic after reboot. After I played SH4, I got a little window asking if the game ran ok. I clicked yes, and it said it would be keeping those setting then.

Then I played Far Cry 2, and the same window came up, click and keep settings. It does not bother you again because its working properly.

I am also using open office 4.1.0 in 8.1 and its also very good. :yeah:

irish1958
05-01-14, 09:00 AM
I upgraded to 8.1 when it first became available and had monumental screw-up with most of my programs and games so I went back to 8.0, and had to re-install everything a second time
I was not aware that 8.1 has been upgraded; perhaps I will try again when I have a few days free to get my machine back working again. Dose the upgrade still wipe out all your programs?

Red Devil
05-01-14, 11:08 AM
the upgrade to 8.1 is done in the background as you continue to use the machine. It changers nothing on your settings. When it installed I still have my desktop etc all as I had set it out. New features include the return of Win Media Center and a new one for scanning (if you have the relevant scanner). There are other newbies too. :up:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/178091-how-to-download-and-install-windows-8-1-update-1-for-free-right-now

ReallyDedPoet
05-01-14, 11:55 AM
Nice, I am upgrading soon and may go with 8.1. I also have 7 to fall back on if I am not happy with it.

I have used 8 at work and after a bit found it fairly easy to work with.