PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions

depthtok33l
04-27-14, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone, got a few questions.

If your crewmen level up do they improve on what they do?

E.g.
Diving - does your boat dive faster if you have more experienced crewmen?

Gun Crew - do they become more accurate if they level up?

Crew Berthing in TMO

What is this exactly? Typed in "crew berthing" on google and turned out to be where your crew sleeps/rests. Meaning those 9 crew member in that compartment there are doing nothing? Please enlighten this newbie :D.

[Historical Question] Did U-Boats dive faster than US Fleet Boats?
I like to play UBM from time to time and noticed that Type IX-D2 U-boat dives at a very fast rate.

=====
Do have a few mods installed:

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
Traveller Mod v2.6 TMO
Traveller Mod 2.6 OTC 1.5 Patch
Traveller Mod 2.6 OTC 1.5 Automatic Ship ID

Akotalaya
04-28-14, 05:19 AM
yes, i think some u-boats were faster at diving, american boats took something like 2 and a half minutes to dive where a type 7 uboat could be under in less than 30 seconds..something along those lines!

fireftr18
04-28-14, 06:53 AM
If your crewmen level up do they improve on what they do?
Short answer is "yes." As crew members get promoted and experience, their skills improve. Theoretically, your gun crew does get more accurate.

Crew Berthing in TMO.
Essentially, you're right. Ducimus made this as a "storage area" for extra crew members. I use it as a place to put the gun crew when I don't need them. A flaw in the game coding, the guns are considered as a compartment much like the torpedo room. Even though the boat is submerged and the guns are not staffed, the game still recognizes the crew as still in the "compartment." When the boat is depth charged and the gun gets damaged, the gun crew can still be injured.

[Historical Question] Did U-Boats dive faster than US Fleet Boats?
I have actually heard it different from different people, so I don't really know. I believe a u-boat dived faster than the older boats, but with improvements, the fleet boats caught up.

depthtok33l
04-28-14, 07:18 AM
Crew Berthing in TMO.
Essentially, you're right. Ducimus made this as a "storage area" for extra crew members. I use it as a place to put the gun crew when I don't need them. A flaw in the game coding, the guns are considered as a compartment much like the torpedo room. Even though the boat is submerged and the guns are not staffed, the game still recognizes the crew as still in the "compartment." When the boat is depth charged and the gun gets damaged, the gun crew can still be injured.

Then I've been doing it wrong the whole time :rotfl2:. I've always ignored those 9 and I've always recruited another bunch of crew members for guns when I'm docked. I'm left wondering why they always get injured even with one fairly distant depth charge :haha:. Anyways thanks for the info.

depthtok33l
04-28-14, 07:24 AM
yes, i think some u-boats were faster at diving, american boats took something like 2 and a half minutes to dive where a type 7 uboat could be under in less than 30 seconds..something along those lines!

Yeah cuz when I crash dive with the Type IX, I don't even have enough time to scan 360° on the binoculars. On the other hand, when I crash dive with US Subs I can fully load a deck gun by myself (which takes quite a while).

ETR3(SS)
04-28-14, 08:04 AM
[Historical Question] Did U-Boats dive faster than US Fleet Boats?I like to play UBM from time to time and noticed that Type IX-D2 U-boat dives at a very fast rate.This is a Pandora's box. Nothing against your asking the question but it ultimately invokes the u-boats fan boys into making wild claims and illogical comparisons. See quote below for example.

yes, i think some u-boats were faster at diving, american boats took something like 2 and a half minutes to dive where a type 7 uboat could be under in less than 30 seconds..something along those lines!Apples to oranges. A fleet boat does not compare to a type VII because they are for two different designs for two different applications. A IXC or later would be a more apt comparison.

In so far as dive times they were similar with a reported dive time for a fleet boat being around the 30-35 second mark. Can't recall the reference offhand, may have been Submarine! by Capt. Beach.

Now as far as the game itself is concerned not as much time and research was put into it. Mainly because of the appeal of u-boats vs fleet boats. I'll admit u-boats capture the imagination a lot more than the fleet boats. Also there was the secrecy that the US had about its submarine operations.

TorpX
04-28-14, 11:06 PM
In spite of the risks, I must open the box, just a little.

In U.S. SUBMARINES THROUGH 1945, p229 discusses some of this. Detailed comparisons were made between U-570 (a type VIIc) and the Mackerel and Marlin. Some considered the German boat superior, but not all agreed:

In June, BuShips designer Captain Morgan commented sarcastically that apparently those who had seen U-570 believed that no other submarine was good "and only those who saw [her] are fully informed." It turned out that U-570 did not dive as quickly as advertised, partly because of inherent safety problems. Her best time was 28.2 sec from low buoyancy condition to periscope depth starting at 12 kt and diving at about 5.25 kt. Without the Q (quick dive) tank (which had no indicator), she dived about 6 sec slower. This was equivalent to the U.S. awash condition, with the submarine riding on her safety tank.

U.S. submarines, with their long periscopes, projected much farther out of the water. A U-boat was completely underwater at a keel depth at which U.S. masts would be still exposed. BuShips pointed out that U-570 took 60 sec to reach a depth of 42 ft 9 in. U.S. fleet submarines had to get to 48 ft in that time (and did it in 49 - 53 sec). Mackerel completely submerged at 35 ft in 41 sec (U-570 submerged at 30 ft in 50 sec). Mackerel's dive started at 10 kt, compared with 12 kt for U-570.

Amazigh1337
04-30-14, 08:22 PM
which sub is better then another....

i did read somewhere in the forum today (and i did read alot so i don't know which thread it was) some wise words following i quote:

*Its not what you should worry about... but whom, slacky captain with unexperienced crew in a high tech boat will lose against a sneaky experienced captain with experienced crew in a tin can"

was something like that... which i totaly agree with :-)

which made me think of a quote " an army of lions led by a deer is less dangerous then an army of deer led by a lion"

but i guess you understand what i mean :D

For real statistics, every thing has its advantage and its disadvantage.

my only question is, where's my target? so i can trow him a fish :D

Amazigh1337
04-30-14, 08:59 PM
there's always questions about every game like of wha is best...

What is the best gun? what is the best Battleship (spaceship), what is the best car?

i have a simple and single anwser to all of those.... the one you prefer to use :D