PDA

View Full Version : an eerie sight

Akotalaya
04-25-14, 01:13 AM
this my friends is by far the single most eerie sight i have EVER seen for sh4, this ship was half sank, and abandoned it seems...i was on patrol with my walther boat and spotted something on the horizon and i decided to check it out...this is what i have come across, an iowa class battleship, it gave me the chills...i walked out on the stern of my sub and had to snap a pic for you guys, she truly is massive...(p.s i have manual loading of torps since i carry several different types, i forgot to relaod, and when i spotted the ship i figured i better reload XD it also scared me under water, i didnt know if it was alive or dead, its an iowa after all)

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff366/Akotalaya/SH4Img2014-04-25_010504_784.png (http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/Akotalaya/media/SH4Img2014-04-25_010504_784.png.html)

TorpX
04-25-14, 01:50 AM
Yeah, it looks like it is very low in the water.

Maybe it lost a fight with the Yamato?

Akotalaya
04-25-14, 02:53 AM
thing is, i had been on patrol in the area...the only other ship for miles was a small merchant that i had sank before i ran across the Iowa, there is literally ZERO explanation as to why its there, to my knowledge there was no battles taking place in that area...

A Hidden Soul
04-25-14, 03:06 PM
Maybe she was bombed from the air? It's pretty cool to see random things while being at sea.:arrgh!:

TG626
04-25-14, 03:17 PM
She's half sunk... Do you know the date/coords?

Dread Knot
04-25-14, 03:36 PM
Somebody needs to get on the horn to Tokyo and let them now there is a war prize/scrap iron resource floating in the ocean, but maybe not for long. :)

Akotalaya
04-26-14, 12:45 AM
well the water is barely deep enough to dive in, the stern is already as deep as it will go, shes only got a few feet of clearance under her bow

TG626
04-26-14, 01:15 AM
Well she might be sunk from running aground. I knew back when I had auto map updates I saw a few ai boats on the map head right into shallows or islands and then turn to a gray sunk icon...

Akotalaya
04-26-14, 03:25 AM
no, she wouldent have run aground...it was deep enough for that NOT to happen.. and even if she did, im 100% sure that that wouldent have been the cause of her sinking, i mean it would make sense if we were along a shoreline, but this was just a shallow spot in the water haha....it WAS deep enough for her to safely travel though

merc4ulfate
04-26-14, 06:26 PM
If, in the course of game events the game had a storm or even though tit had a storm and the ship bottomed out it could damage it. I doubt that is what happened but it is a possibility.

I have seen many ships sink by bow or stern and have half if it floating and half sitting on the bottom. I have even seen them sit straight up with the bow sticking out of the water and stern on the bottom for days. I normally plug them full of holes with the deck gun and released the air but on a BB that just wouldnt work.

TorpX
04-26-14, 07:40 PM
If, in the course of game events the game had a storm or even though tit had a storm and the ship bottomed out it could damage it. I doubt that is what happened but it is a possibility.

I'm thinking it's either this, or it hit a mine.

Admiral Halsey
04-26-14, 09:41 PM
didnt know if it was alive or dead, its an iowa after all

That's why you always fire a Torpedo or two just to make sure. Better to waste a torp then your life.

Akotalaya
04-26-14, 10:55 PM
i have an iowa mod i sometimes play with, i enjoy stormy weather and have never had any problems with hitting bottom in the shallows, i will be making a trip back to that area to see what i can find

merc4ulfate
04-27-14, 03:56 PM
I too have played the mod where your the Iowa. I have indeed recieved damage from hitting the bottom and I also have recieved instant and severe damage at haveing rammed another vessle.

The Iowa is a monster to damage but the mod does not alter collision damage settings so if you ram a ship and it causes any sort of constant contact between rammed and your hull(bottom not simply the sides) you will be damaged and if that cause is not immediately removed you will sink from it.

Done that ... bummed over it.

I have a feeling the Iowa AI may have this issue. Side strikes, fine. Areas of the exact bottom ... you sink.

I have also been sunk using the Iowa by certain land based artillery. I have never pin pointed type but I sure do get out there as fast as I can when it happens.

Akotalaya
04-27-14, 05:08 PM
haha...well ive used the iowa to ram and sink merchants, ive hit them full speed ahead and have them litterally pushed under the waves by the force of my boat, its kinda fun if you do it right..and ive never had any problems with something making contact with the bottom of my hull so...

merc4ulfate
04-27-14, 07:51 PM
... and your running TMO, RSRD and Traveller mods? I was.

Admiral Halsey
04-27-14, 08:12 PM
... and your running TMO, RSRD and Traveller mods? I was. Wait just a minute. The Iowa mod can work with Trav's mod?

Akotalaya
04-28-14, 03:54 AM
haha...ive found that alot of mods are compatable to a certaint point, such as addon subs..sometimes there not made to be compatable but i have tested them and it works 100%, its really jsut trial and error and you have to play to see what you get