PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Issues

Solidsnake2234
04-13-14, 11:27 PM
Hello, I've got a bit of a problem on my hands. While on patrol in near Luzon, I encountered a small task force. After attacking it and diving, I took minor damage from depth charges. Once I was able to surface again, I found that my sub was no longer sticking to course, and would not turn at all. I checked both damage control as well as the submarine itself, and the rudder did not appear to be damaged. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

TorpX
04-14-14, 12:38 AM
Maybe the steering gear is damaged. Something should show on the damage control station.

TG626
04-14-14, 02:24 AM
Your rudder can be blown clean off and it won't show on the damage page. Only a visual inspection can tell.

If it is, you're doomed - while in real life you might have gotten home using differential thrust, the game doesn't model that. >:(

Solidsnake2234
04-14-14, 09:58 AM
I've already done a visual inspection of the sub, only to find that the rudder is still there, and nothing is showing up damage control, other than a damaged deck gun. Unfortunately at this point, my only option is to reload a previous save.

TG626
04-14-14, 10:55 AM
That sucks. I play D.I.D. but I do save before approaching any targets because in my mind a destroyed rudder is a "bug death" and doesn't count because of the unrealistic way you can't use diff. thrust to get home.

So if the rudder gets blown off, I go back to the pre-approach save.

Solidsnake2234
04-14-14, 11:18 AM
Oh well, thanks anyway.

Armistead
04-14-14, 10:48 PM
If you're playing stock the engines and rudder are very vulnerable. Most supermods correct those issues..

merc4ulfate
04-15-14, 11:19 AM
I had my rudder blown off once. I plotted a course aft and forwards to see where I would go in either direction and then beached the boat in the most favorable spot to be rescued.

A Hidden Soul
04-16-14, 01:53 PM
Little advice...save game before attacking anything. :arrgh!:

Admiral8Q
04-16-14, 05:23 PM
Little advice...save game before attacking anything. :arrgh!:

Ha ha! Yep, unless ye want ta start over again. :yep:

TorpX
04-17-14, 12:14 AM
I suffered irreparable damage to steering gear in SHCE, once. But since you teleported back to base in that game, it wasn't a fatal event.

Admiral8Q
04-17-14, 08:52 AM
I suffered irreparable damage to steering gear in SHCE, once. But since you teleported back to base in that game, it wasn't a fatal event.

To be honest, I have been sunk a few times, it's quite scary when it happens. :o

merc4ulfate
04-17-14, 09:08 AM
I normally only save the game when the game itself does it. I do not save games while on patrol. Once I put to sea what ever happens, happens.

TorpX
04-18-14, 12:19 AM
To be honest, I have been sunk a few times, it's quite scary when it happens. :o

Oh, I've been sunk plenty of times, just not because of the rudder.

I normally only save the game when the game itself does it. I do not save games while on patrol.

You mean, you play an entire patrol in one sitting?!?

Admiral8Q
04-20-14, 12:03 AM
[INDENT] Oh, I've been sunk plenty of times, just not because of the rudder.
It happens. I've been screwed before because of a jammed rudder. With a realistic mod, I can't remember which one, I was able to barely steer back to port using the port and starboard engines.

Admiral8Q
04-20-14, 12:05 AM
You mean, you play an entire patrol in one sitting?!?

I have actually done that a few times years ago when I had the time. I still saved though in case of a computer crash, heh! :know: