PDA

View Full Version : advice about must have mods

jpm1
03-29-14, 08:26 PM
hi , it's been a while since i didn't come here . hope all the torpedo crazy is doing fine http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/jpm1/Emoticons/rire.gif (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/jpm1/media/Emoticons/rire.gif.html) . I just purchased SHIV and the game is beautiful , it runs at 120 FPS on ultra :smug: . i would like to know if there are some must have mods for IV around . when i used to play to SHIII i remember there were some great mods that greatly enhanced the vanilla game , so i was wondering if there was the same for IV

Admiral Halsey
03-29-14, 09:31 PM
First off what version of the game do you have? Did you buy it from Steam?

jpm1
03-30-14, 01:24 PM
yes Steam cause it was the cheapest

Admiral8Q
03-31-14, 11:05 AM
JSGME is important. I forgot about that when I just got back. It's how to install the mods.
If you have the steam version, the folder is in ...Steam/SteamApps/common/Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific

As for 'must have' mods, that is up to personal choice. If you like or dislike something, there is usually a mod for it. Personally I like TMO 2.5 because it's a challenge (More difficult then real-life) but it has some nice graphic improvements, game-play, and sound also. RFB is well made, like I said personal choice. :salute:

Warren Peace
03-31-14, 04:05 PM
From what I've gathered during my pre-purchase investigation of SH IV (Still playing III with GWX to death), there appears to be three options for the 'must-have' mega-mods.

1) TMO 2.5 (Trigger Maru Overhauled). This appears, from what I've read, to crank the IJN up to hysterical levels of efficiency. They will find you sooner, they will find you from farther away, and once they've found you they will proceed to pound you into scrap and send you to a watery grave. Surviving in TMO, however, is extremely satisfying, because it means you did everything right.

2) RFB (Real Fleet Boats). Alters the gameplay to more realistic levels, leading to massive frustration in the early war (because US MK. 14 torpedoes were absolute garbage in 1941), but stays away from being TOO realistic. Without actually playing it, I'd have to say that alot of the comments and reviews I've dug up make me think it's closer to how GWX altered SH III. Please, anyone who has more experience, correct me if I'm mistaken.

3) OM (Operation Monsun). Takes SH IV, scraps the Americans, and puts you back in command of a German U-boat. I can't say much more than that, haven't really looked into OM much because I'm more interested in running the American side of things first.

I have also seen many good things about Run Silent, Run Deep (RSRDC), which takes the entire campaign system of SH IV and cranks it up to amazing. Lurker went through a crap-ton of historical information and used that to rewrite everything from single-ship generation to convoy routes and tactics. He redid the Special Ops missions based in historic logs, updated the mission objectives to give better information, altered the ship generation so that vessels are more accurately portrayed given the time period.

TL:DR - Lurker scrapped the majority of the campaign files and remade them to be much, much better.

captgeo
03-31-14, 07:30 PM
OM mod does not scrap the US side, just adds the German side.

Bothersome
04-01-14, 02:39 AM
I'm currently playing TMO with RSRD. My mod list...

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
Less Plankton 1.2
SS285 USS Balao_Clean
RSRDC_SH15_V550
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Hi-Res PPI
Improved Stock Environment_v3_TMO&RFB

This seems to be a pretty good experience. I tend to stay in a Balao because I HATE my boat to look all rusty and stained when it was supposed to be new in WWII.

The crew probably would not like me as their captain cause that boat would be spotless most times.

But anyway, the DDs are the real only danger from TMO. They can be "left behind" pretty easy if you know how. Experience pays here. I just left 3 DD behind on my last patrol. Came back to surface at about 2 miles away and noticed an Aux Subchaser sitting and waiting. Normally I wouldn't bother with him, but command says "Be more aggresive." Next was a waiting Minekaze Destroyer playing the same tune. After sneaking up on him for about 30 minutes or so, he got the same.

Heading back now.

Oh yea, another thing about that mod load-out, is Ducimus didn't like us shooting at airplanes. So that's big no-no. In fact, with-out remodding TMO, the planes have too thick of armor protection. The bullets don't penetrate so it's a waste of time to try and shoot down an airplane. That's why when you play a battleship mod in TMO, that "fix" must be un-done.

The Balao in that mod build doesn't seem to have a Radar detector though. So I may have to mod that, cause in late 44 I think the IJN start getting radar, and I REALLY need to know if my position is compromised.

Hope this was helpful in some way.

jpm1
04-01-14, 10:28 PM
ISE sky is great i would like to import only that from the mod right now , can someone tell me which files i have to import . i would like to import sky color , sky lightning , luminosity reflections on waves and clouds from ISE . i'm also looking for a good smoke mod and islands with better landscapes and turquoise waters ..

Edit : i globally managed to get what i wanted except for sea color . i would like to have a deep blue sea