PDA

View Full Version : RFB, S boats, and frustration!

TG626
03-20-14, 08:36 PM
The real S-40 only managed to damage one ship in the whole war, rarely found prey, and when it did it either lost it or missed.

I'm guessing the latter was due to taking wild shots out of desperation.

I know the feeling. Right now I'm watching a juicy Large European Passenger ship slip away.

I couldn't catch a cold with this thing :D

TorpX
03-20-14, 09:04 PM
I'm guessing you're used to having a fleetboat?

It is possible to do reasonable well with the S-class, but you can't do end-arounds like you can with the faster types.

However, I would point out, they were even slower in SHCE.

Sniper297
03-20-14, 09:47 PM
RFB stands for "Real Fleet Boat", last I checked the Sugar boat wasn't a fleet boat at all. Best bet for an S class is to take those 12 torpedoes at 12 knots into the deepest part of Manila Bay and scuttle it, swim back to shore and steal a SARGO. :arrgh!: Almost as fast as a GATO and with only 2 less torpedoes, my favorite rustbucket. :up:

TG626
03-20-14, 09:54 PM
I'm guessing you're used to having a fleetboat?

It is possible to do reasonable well with the S-class, but you can't do end-arounds like you can with the faster types.

However, I would point out, they were even slower in SHCE.

Yeah. Just got my Balao blown out from under me and had to start a new career :(

RFB stands for "Real Fleet Boat", last I checked the Sugar boat wasn't a fleet boat at all. Best bet for an S class is to take those 12 torpedoes at 12 knots into the deepest part of Manila Bay and scuttle it, swim back to shore and steal a SARGO. :arrgh!: Almost as fast as a GATO and with only 2 less torpedoes, my favorite rustbucket. :up:

You may be right, but I started this career with a roll of the dice for year, boat, and base.

Got Brisbane, s18 class, and 1941... Lucky me. :D

ETR3(SS)
03-21-14, 11:02 AM
There are a few positives to the old sugar boats. One is your torpedoes aren't faulty at the start of the war, they actually work how they're supposed to. Another is faster submerged speed.

Sniper297
03-21-14, 02:15 PM
Rolling dice, sissy way to start a career. Download Gone Asiatic;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=4358

And start at the Manila dock instead of outside the harbor. Make it out to sea past the zeros, vals, destroyers, cruisers, and battleships with 3 or more US surface ships still afloat you're a hero. Hell, if you can figure out what's going on and avoid sinking or shooting down friendlies you did good. But you still gotta do your assigned mission after that, good thing there are nearby sub tender bases. :salute:

captgeo
03-22-14, 08:16 PM
I run RFB 1.5 version, start in Manila the old S Boats are not bad, just a few patrol's with them and you move up to the "better" boats