PDA

View Full Version : Wake Island

CapnDon
03-18-14, 09:51 AM
Patrolling south of Wake Island on 23 December 1941:

While on the surface a few miles off shore, sound contact was detected to the south with warships moving north at about 0030.

A few minutes later, spotted several IJN DDs.

Dived to periscope depth when DDs about 10,000 yards away. While observing with periscope, saw their flashing light indicated they had made contact with me.

Allowed DDs to pass overhead. They dropped some depth charges to no effect. They appeared to be dropping 500 to 1000 yards away from me. Clearly, they did not know exactly where I was.

During the attack, sound contact was made with larger warship and merchant screws to the south. There appeared to be at least four large merchants and two or three large warships.

Raised periscope to discover three large merchants and the IJN Chitose within range.

Attacked two merchants and Chitose. Damaged Chitose and sank two merchants. During the attack, two IJN Light Cruisers were detected, but not attacked.

The destroyers, at least three with one or two subchasers, attacked us over next two hours as we made our escape westward around Wake and then to the north. We suffered minor damage, all of which was repaired by the DC crew. The attacks finally fell astern and we lost them when about ten miles northwest of Wake Island.

We transited to Midway Island where we refueled and rearmed, then continuing our mission en route the Bungo Straits.

Admiral8Q
03-19-14, 10:40 PM
I love it when the DD's go to your last known position and start depth-charging. That is a perfect time to increase speed and close on the merchies. :arrgh!:

BillBam
03-20-14, 10:20 AM
Just remember that depth charging does not cover your sub noise and even when a couple are busy one will still be listening.

Admiral8Q
03-20-14, 12:45 PM
Yep, that happened to me, had to headhunt one.