PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay Help / Advise required

skip
03-14-14, 09:40 AM
Iam a bit of noob with regards to SH4 and I installed the following mods.

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Stock Map Icons
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio_TMO

Game runs fine so far but the problem.

I created a few simple missions to practice plotting targets and manual firing solutions and so on. I am submerged at periscope depth and it is calm and sunny.

The problem is that the merchant start evasive tactics when they are around the 3000 yard mark can they spot my scope at that range ?.

If so how do I go about tracking targets without them detecting me
How long can my scope stick up out of the water at any one time.
Should I change my mods until I learn the sim better if so what mods are recommended for a SH4 noob.

Would appreciate some advise on the following to avoid detection and find track targets
1. The best way to find locate convoys
2. How to best find out their speed and course
3. how to calculate an intercept course for ambush
4. How to approach target and set up final calculations without being detected.
5. Best way to escape

Many thanks

Kremmen
03-14-14, 01:20 PM
Hey skip,I would definitely check out the Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks thread (stickied above) and check out the vids by WS and RR to get you started.
Helped me out a lot.I d/l'ed a lot of the vids there and still refer to them now and again to brush up on my technique :ping:

skip
03-14-14, 02:06 PM
Thanks m8, but I have read quite a few tutorials with regards to the 3 and 4 bearing method for tracking a target with sonar or quickly putting the scope up to take a bearing. So I feel confident enough to plot a target course and set up a firing solution now.

However after doing the same mission and with me only putting the scope up for 10 - 15 secs for a quick bearing check the merchant still altered his course as he neared my ambush position.

I don't understand why he is detecting me so easily seems a hell of a coincidence that he would change course everytime as he gets near to where I've set up my ambush.

what am I doing wrong ?

IS the TMO 2.5 mod designed to make the enemy alter there course often ?

Kremmen
03-14-14, 03:54 PM
I do remember a time where I had much the same thing happen,tracking a target at periscope depth,in good firing position,at night moonlit skies,same as yourself very careful with the scope and damn me he started evading at about 3000-4000yds (did reload a few times but same thing happened every time) I can't remember what mods I was running at the time but in the end I just left him to it and sailed away so never found out the hows or whys of that encounter but it certainly didn't happen regularly in the campaign.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help,hopefully some of our more savvy bretheren will stop by and shed some light on it.

Armistead
03-14-14, 06:19 PM
There is one thing different with TMO than RSRD and stock...he took the time to add proper zig patterns to most traffic. Most traffic the only course change will be just that...a course change, with TMO most change about every 10nms and often it will put you in left field. If the enemy senses you, they do more helming movements than course changes and stay on the same course and usually slow down....Hopefully that will clue you in..

Admiral8Q
03-14-14, 08:13 PM
Skip, only put your periscope up for a quick look, then bring it down. Do it manually so it barely pops out of the water if it is calm seas. "Periscope depth" will make it stick out quite a bit, unnecessarily most times. Also you could dive a bit deeper then pd, but enough to barely get your scope up. :salute:
I hope that's a help.

TG626
03-14-14, 09:08 PM
Also, once you know where he is going by tracking him farther out, keep the scope down. Track with sonar, and when you feel he's in a good spot to strike, check bearing by asking your sonar man, pop the scope up to check bearing and lock on, and fire as fast as you can.

That is to say don't raise the scope until you are sure you will only do it once and fire.

He'll start to zig but it will be too late.

Note: I use this technique running more or less stock v1.5

Kremmen
03-15-14, 11:08 AM
There is one thing different with TMO than RSRD and stock...he took the time to add proper zig patterns to most traffic. Most traffic the only course change will be just that...a course change, with TMO most change about every 10nms and often it will put you in left field. If the enemy senses you, they do more helming movements than course changes and stay on the same course and usually slow down....Hopefully that will clue you in..

That certainly explains what I was seeing and how it was happening every time,just a regular course change.
Thanks for clearing that up Armistead,makes perfect sense now :salute:

HertogJan
03-15-14, 12:17 PM
Also, once you know where he is going by tracking him farther out, keep the scope down. Track with sonar, and when you feel he's in a good spot to strike, check bearing by asking your sonar man, pop the scope up to check bearing and lock on, and fire as fast as you can.

That is to say don't raise the scope until you are sure you will only do it once and fire.

He'll start to zig but it will be too late.

Note: I use this technique running more or less stock v1.5

Not sure if firing as fast as you can is the way to go... as far as I know this will increase dud rates.