PDA

View Full Version : Best map mod

hunter301
03-08-14, 11:12 PM
In you opinion what is the best map mod and why?

Admiral Halsey
03-08-14, 11:17 PM
The Nav Map Makeover mod is the best one IMO. It works with every supermod including Op Monsun.

hunter301
03-08-14, 11:20 PM
The Nav Map Makeover mod is the best one IMO. It works with every supermod including Op Monsun.

Funny you said that. I just installed it in the mod file a second ago.

Admiral Halsey
03-08-14, 11:22 PM
Funny you said that. I just installed it in the mod file a second ago.

I suggest making sure to install the Air Base addon that comes with it also. Helps to know what area's have a Japanese airbase near them when the SD acts up.

hunter301
03-08-14, 11:41 PM
I suggest making sure to install the Air Base addon that comes with it also. Helps to know what area's have a Japanese airbase near them when the SD acts up.

How do you patch a mod file. Do you just put the mod patch in the same file with the other mods?

hunter301
03-08-14, 11:58 PM
Are there any map modes that give you depths?
A lot of the tactical aspects of setting up an attack with subs deals with "having deep water to retreat to." or planning a trip between land masses and needing the deep areas to sneek into.

Admiral Halsey
03-09-14, 12:22 AM
How do you patch a mod file. Do you just put the mod patch in the same file with the other mods? Yep.

Are there any map modes that give you depths?
A lot of the tactical aspects of setting up an attack with subs deals with "having deep water to retreat to." or planning a trip between land masses and needing the deep areas to sneek into.

Not that I know of. You can tell depth by the color of the water on the map. Darker is deeper is the rule of thumb. You can always have your crew give you a depth sounding though.

fred8615
03-09-14, 11:17 AM
If I may be so bold, you can check out my FJB Navigation Maps. Link in my sig below.

hunter301
03-09-14, 04:31 PM
How accurate are the renderings for the landmasses?
Last night I was running the quick mission war patrol were you have to sneek in and sink the Yamato.
I was doing fine under normal time compression. Snuck past the two jap fishing boats in the entrance so they didn't radio in my location.
Got within 3,000 yds. went down to 150' full speed got past them resurfaced at around 2,000 yds in front of them because my batteries were down to about 10% surfaced, went to full speed and plotted a course that kept me in the middle of the land masses on both sides. Due to time constraints, mainly it was getting late I was used time compression to 32x. I was mostly going by my navigation map but just after turning on my first leg to a heading of about 035 all of a sudden I'm getting damage reports. Hull breaches, damaged periscopes, engine room damage, fires,etc....:o
At this point I was pretty much done. All tubes damages, deck guns, everything. It was like I ran into a damn mountain or something.
At the time I had gotten no radar warnings and no ships in the area.
Radar had reported a contact but it was 7 miles out in front of me.
The only thing I can figure is that I hit something. What I don't know. Could it have been a land mass? I was moving pretty fast across the map so I wasn't outside looking at what was around me.

TorpX
03-10-14, 12:08 AM
You can't put too much trust in the game maps. People have reported hitting small islands when warping across the Pacific. In RL, the Navy's charts were not that good, so it is more or less realistic.

Radar doesn't help navigation at all; it doesn't show land.

Could you have been hit by shore guns, or such? That close to an enemy base, I would suspect shell fire, or maybe mines.

TG626
03-10-14, 01:12 AM
I've been hammered by shore batteries when surfaced using tc...

hunter301
03-10-14, 08:53 AM
I've been hammered by shore batteries when surfaced using tc...

Never thought about that. I was smack in the middle of enemy waters.
Damn I knew I should have magyver'ed a snorkel on my Baleo class so I could run the entire channel submerged and just come up for a peak to get a bearing fix. :lurk: