PDA

View Full Version : Is TMO compatible with OM?

Den0
03-02-14, 05:34 AM
Currently

RSRDC_SH15_v550
OM
OM to 720
OM patch
other stuff

Would this work?
TMO v 2.5
RSRDC_TMO_v501
OM
OM to 720
OM patch
other stuff

Be nice to add RFB in there somehow to...

Any advice or help would be awesome! :subsim:

Pisces
03-02-14, 08:18 AM
From the following page about Operation Monsun:

SPECIAL Note for TMO and RFB users

Because of recent changes to TMO v19 and RFB 2.0, OM is "NO LONGER COMPATIBLE" with TMO/RFB. If you do so you will "Break" the mods.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134922

So you will need to make a dual install of the game

BigWalleye
03-02-14, 12:17 PM
A megamod - like TMO, RFB, and OM - makes literally hundreds of changes to the SH4 data files. It does so by replacing the stock file with a new version. The changes are not additive. If you activate TMO, which changes, for example, commands.cfg, and then activate OM, which also changes commands.cfg, then the OM version of commands.cfg will overwrite the TMO version, and only the OM version will be used. And none of these megamods was intended to be compatible with - and avoid conflicts with - any other mod, let alone another megamod.

The modding process, as practiced by JSGME, is pretty brute force. You don't change what is already there, you just wipe it out and replace it with something different. And the "something different" may include a lot of stuff that the mod itself actually didn't change. So if Mod A changes one part of a file, and Mod B changes another part of the same file, then when you activate Mod A and then Mod B, only the Mod B version will remain in the game's Data folder. The Mod A version is gone. (But not forgotten. JSGME saves a copy and restores it when you deactivate mods. That's why mods must be deactivated in reverse order. First in, last out.)

The only megamod I know that is "compatible" with other megamods is RSRDC. And that is because RSRDC mainly alters files which the other megmods do not. Even then, the real reason why it is compatible is that a separate version of RSRDC exists for stock, for RFB, and for TMO. Because most of the files affected by RSRDC are not changed by the megamods, it was easier for the modders to make compatible versions. But woe unto you if you try to run RSRDC v502 with RFB!

So NO, you absolutely can not run SH4 with TMO and OM active at the same time. They even have different load screens. It is a good idea to treat a megamodded game as an entirely separate game. SH4 stock is not SH4 TMO is not SH4 OM. You should have completely separate installations for each, as well as separate mod packages, because mods which are compatible with one will not necessarily work with another.

Sailor Steve
03-02-14, 12:53 PM
I think BigWalleye said it all. The only thing I can add is that you can have several different installations of SH4 at the same time with MultiSH4 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1110).

Den0
03-02-14, 03:22 PM
Can you explain abit about how the MultiSH4 program works please.

:subsim:

Den0
03-02-14, 06:17 PM
Got the gold edition from amazon for 19.99. So will run my Uboat career on my steam account and start over with my American career on the amazon download. Thanks for the advice guys.

Sailor Steve
03-02-14, 09:28 PM
Can you explain abit about how the MultiSH4 program works please.

You download the file. You read the readme. It explains everything.

Basically it helps manage separate installations so the different game saves know automatically which version they came from.