PDA

View Full Version : CD key and RFB problems

electraguard
02-14-14, 03:02 PM
I had been playing SH4 with RFB v1.52 just fine. I upgraded my motherboard & CPU but kept my hard drive, video card, etc. After that, when I tried to play the game it asks for my CD key number. I bought the CD direct from UBISOFT sometime in 2008. It contains the U-Boat mod. I tried entering both key numbers but keep getting the error message that the request refused by server because activation limit has been exceeded. I don't know why I am getting that message since I didn't not re-install the game since I played it before I changed my MB. I have searched the web for an answer but could find none. There is nothing, that I can find, on the UBISOFT home site about this. Then I reinstalled the game in both the UBISOFT directory and installed the 1.4 patch. It played but would not open the save games from before. I assumed it was because the games were save using RFB 1.52. So I installed RFB 1.52 and when I run the game it goes to the RFB screen and I get an error that it can't find the black80.tga file. So I copied it from my pre-new motherboard SH4 folder that I had saved. When I run it again it gets past the black80.tga file but I get the 'there is a new (not implemented) page <pagechooseloadsave> error. I tried uninstalling the game and re-installing it in a new directory (SH4) as recommended in this forum. I had the same black80.tga then the 'there is a new (not implemented) page <pagechooseloadsave> error. Anyone have any idea how I can get this working again?

HertogJan
02-14-14, 04:49 PM
Do you still have a copy of the Documents folder?

Silent Hunter creates a folder called SH4, if by any chance you still have that and you're sure you didn't run any other Mod's with RFB you could copy the content and past everything in to the new SH4 folder.

:hmmm: Why don't you simply start a new campaign?

merc4ulfate
02-14-14, 08:27 PM
If I start anything new ... i.e. a new mother board or what ever I just start a new campaign. I can not recall the number of campaigns I have already been through so I do not see it as a big deal.

Heck I even sat off Hiroshima waiting for the bomb blast but that isn't modeled in the game.

You have to remember that these days motherboards that get changed out will not have the same configuration as before so they have to place everything all over again. Anything can happen.

electraguard
02-15-14, 09:45 AM
Do you still have a copy of the Documents folder?

Silent Hunter creates a folder called SH4, if by any chance you still have that and you're sure you didn't run any other Mod's with RFB you could copy the content and past everything in to the new SH4 folder.

:hmmm: Why don't you simply start a new campaign?

I can't start a new campaign because with the previous installation I can't get past the entering the CD keys since they aren't accepted. I can't with the new installation because I can't get past the <pagechooseloadsave> error message that comes up during the RFB load page. I tried running SH3 that I had installed and played before the MB change and it works fine.

TorpX
02-15-14, 09:33 PM
I had been playing SH4 with RFB v1.52 just fine. I upgraded my motherboard & CPU but kept my hard drive, video card, etc. After that, when I tried to play the game it asks for my CD key number. I bought the CD direct from UBISOFT sometime in 2008. It contains the U-Boat mod. I tried entering both key numbers but keep getting the error message that the request refused by server because activation limit has been exceeded. I don't know why I am getting that message since I didn't not re-install the game since I played it before I changed my MB. I have searched the web for an answer but could find none. There is nothing, that I can find, on the UBISOFT home site about this. Then I reinstalled the game in both the UBISOFT directory and installed the 1.4 patch. It played but would not open the save games from before. I assumed it was because the games were save using RFB 1.52. So I installed RFB 1.52 and when I run the game it goes to the RFB screen and I get an error that it can't find the black80.tga file. So I copied it from my pre-new motherboard SH4 folder that I had saved. When I run it again it gets past the black80.tga file but I get the 'there is a new (not implemented) page <pagechooseloadsave> error. I tried uninstalling the game and re-installing it in a new directory (SH4) as recommended in this forum. I had the same black80.tga then the 'there is a new (not implemented) page <pagechooseloadsave> error. Anyone have any idea how I can get this working again?

Ok, I'm confused about exactly what version of SH4 you have. The U-boat missions patch should bring you up to v1.5. If you have SH4 v1.5, you should be able to use RFB_2.0. I'm not sure if RFB_1.52 will work with SH4 v1.5 or not. Most, if not all, who have SH4 v1.5 use RFB_2.0, the latest version.

electraguard
02-16-14, 09:34 AM
Ok, I'm confused about exactly what version of SH4 you have. The U-boat missions patch should bring you up to v1.5. If you have SH4 v1.5, you should be able to use RFB_2.0. I'm not sure if RFB_1.52 will work with SH4 v1.5 or not. Most, if not all, who have SH4 v1.5 use RFB_2.0, the latest version.

When the game starts it shows a load screen for SH4 and the one for the U-Boat expansion but when the game starts it shows v 1.4. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I have key code for both SH4 and the U-boat expansion but during and after the install process it never asks me for a code. One the version that I had been playing before I changed my motherboard it asks me to enter the key code before the game starts. I have tried both codes but neither works. Using the U-boat code I get an error message that it has been activated too often and with the SH4 code I just get an error number, 2 if I remember correctly. UBISOFT has bee zero help with this. I can't even send the a support message because that page doesn't seem to be working.

CapnScurvy
02-16-14, 01:29 PM
When the game starts it shows a load screen for SH4 and the one for the U-Boat expansion but when the game starts it shows v 1.4

So, to get this straight......Your load screen looks like this:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/ScreenShot080copy_zpsdd061c15.jpg

Yet, your main game menu screen does not have version 1.5 in the lower right.....it has version 1.4.....right:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/ScreenShot081copy_zpsdc804f6a.jpg

Your game files are corrupt.....if this is correct. You won't have the U-Boat Missions load screen with version 1.4.

It will look like this:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/ScreenShot079copy_zps6a9b03ed.jpg

I know you've talked about having an issue with the "download key" (from what you've said, you have both version 1.4 of the game, AND the U-Boat Missions Add-on as a download.....each separate from each other). If your game files are corrupt, and they are if its as I have described above.....you'll need to do a complete uninstall, then reinstall of the game.

Make sure you understand me. A complete uninstall means to remove the "SH4" folder....found in your "Documents" folder of the computer. This is not your "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" main game folder. The "SH4" folder contains your game options, and any saved games you may have. Yes, you'll lose any past games you've been playing......but that's a small price to pay for getting your game running right!

Follow these directions for "How to re-install SH4 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133290)". You especially need to clean out your Registry to make a clean uninstall (Steps 3 and 4).

Sorry about your trouble if there's going to be one, with getting your CD-Key from UbiSoft. That's why I hate using game Downloads....get the DVD disk and forget about calling customer support. This DVD sale thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211214) might interest you.

Good Luck :up:

HertogJan
02-16-14, 02:40 PM
In addition of CapnScurvy recommendations I'd recommende renaming "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" to "Silent Hunter IV" or something similar when you re-install because of Registry remnants.

electraguard
02-16-14, 02:42 PM
So, to get this straight......Your load screen looks like this:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/ScreenShot080copy_zpsdd061c15.jpg

Yet, your main game menu screen does not have version 1.5 in the lower right.....it has version 1.4.....right:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/ScreenShot081copy_zpsdc804f6a.jpg

Your game files are corrupt.....if this is correct. You won't have the U-Boat Missions load screen with version 1.4.

It will look like this:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/ScreenShot079copy_zps6a9b03ed.jpg

I know you've talked about having an issue with the "download key" (from what you've said, you have both version 1.4 of the game, AND the U-Boat Missions Add-on as a download.....each separate from each other). If your game files are corrupt, and they are if its as I have described above.....you'll need to do a complete uninstall, then reinstall of the game.

Make sure you understand me. A complete uninstall means to remove the "SH4" folder....found in your "Documents" folder of the computer. This is not your "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" main game folder. The "SH4" folder contains your game options, and any saved games you may have. Yes, you'll lose any past games you've been playing......but that's a small price to pay for getting your game running right!

Follow these directions for "How to re-install SH4 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133290)". You especially need to clean out your Registry to make a clean uninstall (Steps 3 and 4).

Sorry about your trouble if there's going to be one, with getting your CD-Key from UbiSoft. That's why I hate using game Downloads....get the DVD disk and forget about calling customer support. This DVD sale thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211214) might interest you.

Good Luck :up:

I have un-installed the game using the Windows uninstall program. After I ran it, I did deleted the SH4 game folder as well as the sh4 in mydocs. However, I did not take SH4 out of the registry. I will that as it is probably why 1.5 shows up when I start the game. What happens when I start the game without the RFB mod is the normal sh4 screen shows up first then the U-Boat screen. Since there is no indication on the game box that U-Boat is included I probably did download it. I have checked my download folders and can't find it so that I can re-install it. I have the key code for it as I keep a list of those codes but since I don't know what the download file is for U-boat and can't identify it in my download files. If I knew the name of the file I could do a search of my current HD and the one I was using in the time frame that I would have download it. Do you know what the 1. 5 file name is/was? I have searched for another place to download it but can't find one. I find that it is no longer available or the website I am sent to isn't there anymore. Do you know where I can get it from? Thanks for taking the time to help me.

merc4ulfate
02-16-14, 03:31 PM
And you can also find a "no CD fix" for playing the game but I am not sure if that would eliminate the key issue.

I have never seen a loading screen that looked like that third photo. I have had this game on this computer for over 5 years and that is a screen I have never seen ... even before I loaded the U-Boat add on.

CapnScurvy
02-16-14, 04:47 PM
And you can also find a "no CD fix" for playing the game but I am not sure if that would eliminate the key issue.

I have never seen a loading screen that looked like that third photo. I have had this game on this computer for over 5 years and that is a screen I have never seen ... even before I loaded the U-Boat add on.

Five years is a long time.....but, that load screen image is from SH4 versions 1.0 thru version 1.4. The U-Boat Missions Add-on, version 1.5, uses the sunset U-Boat image.

===========

If your looking for the U-Boat Missions Add-on (as a download) I'm pretty sure it can be found......just do a Google search. You'll have to repurchase it, but that's up to you. For my money, buy the DVD Gold Edition!! A disk in hand is worth 2 downloads in the bush. :03:

Your RFB 1.52 only works with version 1.5. If your SH4 game is v1.4....it won't be compatible. Another reason to move up to v1.5.

electraguard
02-16-14, 07:42 PM
Five years is a long time.....but, that load screen image is from SH4 versions 1.0 thru version 1.4. The U-Boat Missions Add-on, version 1.5, uses the sunset U-Boat image.

===========

If your looking for the U-Boat Missions Add-on (as a download) I'm pretty sure it can be found......just do a Google search. You'll have to repurchase it, but that's up to you. For my money, buy the DVD Gold Edition!! A disk in hand is worth 2 downloads in the bush. :03:

Your RFB 1.52 only works with version 1.5. If your SH4 game is v1.4....it won't be compatible. Another reason to move up to v1.5.

Believe me, I have spent days searching for a download of 1.5 and cannot find one. I have taken you advice and bought the Gold. I just have to wait for it to get here.

merc4ulfate
02-16-14, 08:09 PM
I found a purchase and download copy in 15 seconds ...

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-Wolves-Pacific-Download/dp/B004I43FAG

http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_US/pd/ThemeID.8605600/productID.276614600/Silent_Hunter®%3A_Wolves_Of_The_Pacific_-_Gold_Edition.html

electraguard
02-16-14, 08:17 PM
Amazon was the first place I checked a few days ago. At that time it said it was not available. I have order the Gold so that I have it in a non-download version. Thanks.

CapnScurvy
02-16-14, 10:14 PM
I have order the Gold so that I have it in a non-download version. Thanks.

I think that's your best alternative. I have version 1.0 on DVD; after finally deciding to "purchase" the v1.5 patch (I'm just not interested with the Nazi's in the Pacific) through a download site several years ago, I got tired of messing with them. I bought the DVD Gold Edition last year, it came in three days. It's been a good choice!

While your waiting on the package to arrive.....might as well clear out your computer of any remnants of your old install. Get rid of your older saved game points....it would be best to start new again.

You can use your RFB 1.52 mod, or try the latest version of RFB 2.0 (also use its 23 April 2010 patch for RFB 2.0). Although, if your going to learn manual targeting I'd stick with the 1.52 version. It's got my Ship Centered, Accuracy Fix (SCAF) mod in it for a more accurate manual targeting experience. SCAF isn't in the later edition......LukeFF thought it was too accurate!!

electraguard
02-23-14, 08:46 PM
I received and installed the Gold version then added RFB 2 and it's update and all my previous problems seem to be fixed. However, now when I change the game settings in the options and select apply/save as soon as I go back to the game the all change to max reality. Is that a function of RFB 2? I didn't play the game before I installed RFB 2 but I did start it and change some of the setting and save them. After I installed RFB 2 I started the game and checked the settings and they were as I set them previously but as soon as I start a campaign they all change to max (all the boxes checked). I even when into the all the config files in My Docs SH4 and change all the games setting from true to false but as soon as I go back to the campaign they all change to max. I don't know how this happens.

CapnScurvy
02-23-14, 10:01 PM
There are three different "option" menu's within the game (may be more with the multiplayer?!).

The first is found on the main menu screen, under "Options".....you probably found that one!

The second is found within the "Quick Missions" menu....where you select one of the games missions to play. This is where it gets tricky, the options are found under the "Realism" heading.....along the bottom of the Missions page.

The third is found in the Captain's office, after you've started a "Career Campaign". This option's page is found on the left bookcase shelf by clicking the old time radio. This is the one you'll want make sure to use if playing a Campaign game. All three do the same thing, but no single one will work for the different ways to play the game.

electraguard
02-24-14, 08:31 AM
That's the ticket! Thanks. It had been so long since I started a new campaign that I had forgotten about setting the options from the campaign office. I have a small favor to ask. RFB 2 is really good. The only other mod I have added is the merchant skin pack. There are tons of mods on your website. Which ones would you recommend to enhance the game experience?

Thanks,
Alan