PDA

View Full Version : Crew voice Modifications?

Naruto17141
02-07-14, 01:14 PM
Hi all, I was wondering if there was any voice modifications for the fleet boat crews that were compatible with tmo 2.5? The stock voices are so monotonous... I found a voice mod from the film ''run silent, run deep'' but the links were long dead... Can someone point me in the right direction? Cheers :salute:

torpedobait
02-08-14, 09:08 AM
And if there is a way to change "Yes Sir" to "Aye, Aye Sir" it would repair one of the most glaring voice faults in the game.

Naruto17141
02-08-14, 09:29 AM
Indeed. Its a shame there are so many dead links nowadays...

derekb525
02-08-14, 11:01 AM
I tried to tackle this and it would be a huge undertaking.

There's 20 different voice files for the digits alone. (two of each digit for beginning/middle digits and another for the last one, for example for a bearing of "0-0-0" the first two 0s use one file and the last uses another)

Then you need to account for the yelling and whispering voices, so 60 files for 10 digits

Most of the voice files require 3 tones; 1 for whispering, 1 for speaking, 1 for yelling.

I just counted all the sound files in one of the speech folders, 1,372. Now obviously not all of these need to be replaced. It's still a huge project.

That only counts for 1 of the 9 different voices. It became very clear to me after looking at the work needed to be done that they had 1 or 2 voice actors and just changed the pitch and tone of each file to make them all sound different.

It would be awesome if we could compile a list of all the necessary files (leaving out ones that aren't even used ingame) then put the list up and have 9 different people record themselves doing the voice files. I would certainly be willing to help, where I have time.

Naruto17141
02-08-14, 11:29 AM
If there is anything similar to DBSM for sh3 but for sh4... that would be amazing. Im not bothered about digits and when he says ''current depth xx'' however if it said torpedo running hot straight and normal when i fired a torp that would be cool :D

merc4ulfate
02-09-14, 03:41 PM
You should run it all in German ... it's awesome but hard to understand if you do not know German.

There are several mod modification mods for crews in the SH4 mods list for sounds.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=cat&id=9

The ones by Webster or Caustic sound very nice.

Mikemike47
02-10-14, 10:35 AM
I tried to tackle this and it would be a huge undertaking.
How far did you get trying?

There's 20 different voice files for the digits alone. (two of each digit for beginning/middle digits and another for the last one, for example for a bearing of "0-0-0" the first two 0s use one file and the last uses another)

Then you need to account for the yelling and whispering voices, so 60 files for 10 digits

Most of the voice files require 3 tones; 1 for whispering, 1 for speaking, 1 for yelling.

I just counted all the sound files in one of the speech folders, 1,372. Now obviously not all of these need to be replaced. It's still a huge project.

That only counts for 1 of the 9 different voices. It became very clear to me after looking at the work needed to be done that they had 1 or 2 voice actors and just changed the pitch and tone of each file to make them all sound different.

It would be awesome if we could compile a list of all the necessary files (leaving out ones that aren't even used ingame) then put the list up and have 9 different people record themselves doing the voice files. I would certainly be willing to help, where I have time.

Sounds like something I am familiar with.:hmmm:

Only 1,372? :har::haha: You will see why I am laughing since I am working on a related project for SH5 called voices reloaded (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205078). That will give anyone the direction to go for the groundwork. Ask me any questions you need.

I used to play SH4 a lot. Maybe my next project in the many months to come.:hmmm:

Sailor Steve
02-10-14, 12:19 PM
And if there is a way to change "Yes Sir" to "Aye, Aye Sir" it would repair one of the most glaring voice faults in the game.
Even that would be unrealstic, if more pleasing to the ear. SH1 and Destroyer Command didn't have files with that at all. If you gave an order in one of those you were greeted with the accurate "Twenty degrees right rudder, aye sir!"

I've been meaning for years to make a voice mod using files from those two games, but lately I've stopped playing due to frustration over a computer that barely runs SH-type games.

Only 1,372? :har::haha:
Well, he did say that was for one folder. Nine folders would give a total of 12,348.

Unless someone did manage the task of gathering voice actors to re-record the entire set, the best way would probably be to convert the files from other games. The downside to this, as with DBSM, is that all nine folders are the same. That doesn't bother me, as the game normally selects one folder for each crew member, and some of them sound pretty lame.

derekb525
02-10-14, 01:18 PM
How far did you get trying?

Sounds like something I am familiar with.:hmmm:

Only 1,372? :har::haha: You will see why I am laughing since I am working on a related project for SH5 called voices reloaded (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205078). That will give anyone the direction to go for the groundwork. Ask me any questions you need.

I used to play SH4 a lot. Maybe my next project in the many months to come.:hmmm:

Well to be honest I really don't know where to start. I have mod experience from half life 1 days, but that's all 3d artwork. Sound is a whole new ballgame to me. I haven't started any actual recording. I have 1 fulltime job and another that is damn near full time and we've been real busy lately.

Well, he did say that was for one folder. Nine folders would give a total of 12,348.

Unless someone did manage the task of gathering voice actors to re-record the entire set, the best way would probably be to convert the files from other games. The downside to this, as with DBSM, is that all nine folders are the same. That doesn't bother me, as the game normally selects one folder for each crew member, and some of them sound pretty lame.

Actually, there's 3 types of folders:

Folders 1, 4, 7 have 1,372 files
Folders 2, 5, 8 have 1,396 files
Folders 3, 6, 9 have 1,380 files

I haven't figured out the differances

Mikemike47
02-10-14, 02:31 PM
Only 1,372?

Whoops and thanks. That is what I get for reading it fast and trying to reply on a break time!! Even more than once, I read it. Now I will laugh at myself for sure.

Actually, there's 3 types of folders:
Folders 1, 4, 7 have 1,372 files
Folders 2, 5, 8 have 1,396 files
Folders 3, 6, 9 have 1,380 files
Do you have all mods disabled at this point? Stock 1.4(wolves) or 1.5(u-boat expansion)?

that's all 3d artwork. Sound is a whole new ballgame to me. I haven't started any actual recording. I have 1 fulltime job and another that is damn near full time and we've been real busy lately

I'll look at the SH4 structure again someday to get an idea how things react to each other in this game.

Perhaps we can teach each other things. If 3d artwork is along the lines of *.dds files, and goblin or gr2 editor than I was curious to learn those tools that TDW, tonschk, bigreg, privateer and gap have all talked about.

merc4ulfate
02-10-14, 08:58 PM
I was in the Navy ... sure we said "Aye" but I never heard anyone anywhere ever say, "aye, aye". Unless they were speaking about these guys:

http://animalsadda.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Aye-Aye-2.jpg

As a matter of fact we used Yes Sir and No Sir quite often.

TG626
02-11-14, 09:27 PM
Great, now I gotta change my skivvies...

I was wondering...

Is there a fix for missing words?? Rudder amidships results in "Rudder" "Rudder" and so forth...

There is a voice fix in the downloads, but it didn't seem to do anything...