PDA

View Full Version : Messed up Medals

TG626
02-06-14, 01:38 AM
I've read the threads, and while it makes me :hmmm: I know about the "we weren't allowed to use real medals" bit.

What this does NOT explain is a "star" medal clearly bring a cross, or that you see a purple heart in the desk top box, it has a tooltip that says "Wounded" or some such, but you click and get one of the star medals , and you don't have a purple heart at all....

It's like they shuffled their own fake medals. Why? And more importantly is there as mod that fixes it? Not the mods that make the medals the real ones, just one that properly coordinates the desk top box, descriptions, and original images so they all correlate correctly.

Moonlight
02-06-14, 07:43 AM
Try this medals mod by CapnScurvy

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=597

CapnScurvy
02-06-14, 09:39 AM
Yes, the stock medal/award system is terribly messed up. The fake medals they put into the game are only a small part of the problem. Missed paced naming; wrong image displayed; completely wrong calculations of specific award criteria....all account for a pooched stock medal system.

The "U.S. Medals Fix II_Stock" mod Moonlight points to, will correct the award system for a stock game. TMO and RFB both have the same mod included in their files as well.

One thing that I've not done is to get the authentic medal 3D model's placed into the Captain's Award box (in the Captain's Office, back at base). I'm only starting to learn 3D modeling. To make an award show in the box, I'll still need to work on it. What you'll see is an empty box....just mouse click the interior of the box. You'll be taken to a seperate page showing your new medal and citation.

Make sure you load the mod before starting a new campaign; or when you're back at base after ending a patrol mission during an existing campaign. If it's between mission assignments.....close the game by exiting to Windows, add the Medals Fix mod, then restart the game. When you return to the saved point of the campaign, your new medals will be ready to go. With a much better criteria for award placement. Sorry, I didn't keep the stock fake medals (I thought the authentic medals are much better looking anyway!).

TG626
02-06-14, 11:39 AM
Oh I got your mod and it's GREAT. I really like it, I was just curious what the SH4 awards would have been like if it had been done correctly.

As long as we're talking about it, is there any way to simply fill the box on the desk. So it looks like "This is a box of medals" rather then "this is an empty box"? Like, just have the original models all in there, regardless of what medals you have or have not received?

Maybe that'd be silly... :hmm2:

CapnScurvy
02-06-14, 04:41 PM
I mentioned the Captain's Award box had 3D modeled medals in there. They were based on the fake medals the game uses. To do it right, you need to make a new group of medals, with different shapes for the models, then have that model imported into the game. I'm not a 3D modeler, yet I've been learning on my own. It would be great if someone with the skill would pick up where I've left off to finish the Captain's Award box. As it is, leaving the old medals in the box seemed wrong, so I made them "disappear". Simply adding a text stating "Click to view Awards" (or something like that) was my best effort! :88)

The bigger issue with the stock medals were the way they were mislabeled and completely out of order as to what they should have been. As I remember, you would get a Star Medal when you were wounded; you would get the Medal of Honor (whatever the stock game called it?) when the award should have been the Star....and so on. Their just a mess!!

merc4ulfate
02-07-14, 09:20 AM
I ignore medals ... they tend to be for peoplke with over active egos.

Yes ... that was directed at my former XO.

TG626
02-13-14, 03:28 PM
I mentioned the Captain's Award box had 3D modeled medals in there. They were based on the fake medals the game uses. ....{snip}

I found an answer for myself, thanks to Silent 3ditor. I took the original captainroom.dat and removed the animations from the lid and removed the straps (as they would still rise and appear though the closed lid LOL)

Now the box highlights, tooltips "CLICK TO VIEW AWARDS", and when clicked shows the medals you've won (corrected thanks to your mod)

I imagine the goofed up medals are still inside the box, but you can't see them any more since the box stays shut.

:know: