PDA

View Full Version : Mission "score" and penalties

Vaux
01-24-14, 02:20 PM
I searched the forum but came up dry. Forgive me if this has been beaten to death before.

When I RTB from a patrol, is there a way to see what my "score" is for that patrol? I remember reading somewhere that patrols are "scored" on a -3 to +3 scale, with -3 being "criminal", 0 being "average" or "good", and +3 being "outstanding". Any way to see what this number is?

Also, does RTBing with fish still on board result in a penalty? How about not completing an assigned mission?

Is there any penalty for disobeying an order? I once radioed a contact report for a big, fat, juicy troop transport convoy and received a reply telling me to "break off contact and RTB at your discretion". I decided the "at your discretion part" applied to both sides of the "and" and sank a Conte Verde liner. Would that have "dinged" my score?

I'm running:

TMO 2.5 with the small patch
RSRD
Traveller Mod

Armistead
01-24-14, 05:11 PM
Should be a log on the office desk.

You won't suffer for sinking enemy ships even if you're told to break off, those messages are basically generic. You won't suffer for not doing a patrol as long as you sink ships. It's basically a point system, you get points for patrols, sinking ships, special missions, etc...you just need points. It's when you don't get points or points to a certain level you'll suffer either demotion or promotions will be slow..

I didn't Lurker placed the Conte in RSRD.....:hmmm:

TorpX
01-25-14, 04:04 AM
Also, does RTBing with fish still on board result in a penalty? How about not completing an assigned mission?

Is there any penalty for disobeying an order? I once radioed a contact report for a big, fat, juicy troop transport convoy and received a reply telling me to "break off contact and RTB at your discretion". I decided the "at your discretion part" applied to both sides of the "and" and sank a Conte Verde liner. Would that have "dinged" my score?

AFAIK, there is no penalty (or bonus) for bringing back unused fish. There probably should be a penalty for excessive use, as real-life skippers were severely criticized for using too many, at least until the torpedo shortage was over.

As Armistead says, there is a point system where points are given for tasks, or sinking ships, but there are no penalties. The only exception I know of is a penalty for sinking friendly or neutral ships.
I guess there is a penalty for having your boat shot up, or badly damaged.

SilentPrey
01-25-14, 11:10 AM
The scale you remember reading is in the TMO manual. It tells you how much renown earned qualifies as which patrol rating. I haven't really looked but I do not recall anywhere that the patrol log will show you how much renown that patrol earned. I just usually remember about how much I had last patrol (right now I've only completed one and got 800 renown) and subtract it from the new total. If there is somewhere that the game tells you how much renown was earned on which patrol someone else will have to tell you how to find it.

Vaux
01-26-14, 01:15 PM
I didn't Lurker placed the Conte in RSRD.....:hmmm:

The convoy was 3 ships in a single column. The Conte was in the lead followed by 2 Horai Marus. This was July of '43 about 100 miles SE of the Bungo Straits.

aanker
01-26-14, 07:23 PM
In my experience all SH4 'mostly' cares about is completing your assigned Objective. After completing that and if you have enough fish remaining & fuel, you can radio for a 2nd Objective.

I experimented a few times trying to find the minimum necessary to keep SH4 satisfied and advance my career, and it came down to completing the Objectives and returning to base without damage.

Large extended patrols (refuel & refit several times) and huge tonnage numbers aren't necessary, only enough to complete the Objective requirements. My careers advanced in rank and new commands, and my crew & I received decorations.

The main thing is to have fun.

Happy Hunting!