PDA

View Full Version : Windows Upgrade Killed My Game

Lost Cause
12-11-13, 01:50 PM
Almost two weeks ago I upgraded my laptop's OS from Windows 8 to 8.1. Prior to that time, SH4 worked like a charm on my laptop and I had no problems.

But, after I upgraded to Win 8.1 the game won't start up. I've uninstalled and reinstalled more than once without success.:/\\!! The most I've seen is a brief flash of the SH4 update installer after which nothing happens.

I've put in a query with Ubi but they have yet to get back to me on the matter and I've pretty much given up on waiting for them. :mad:

If I don't get SH4 going before the Xmas Holidays, I'm not going to have anything to play when we're traveling.

Can anyone please help?

polyfiller
12-11-13, 07:54 PM
I did an upgrade to windows 8.1 and had a few problems. First thing I'd try is right clicking on the sh4 icon and select properties. Then click on the compatibility tab and select "Vista SP2"... I posted in another thread that this gave me best results and cured what appeared to be a memory leak.

I'm running fine on 8.1 laptop with switchable graphics (Intel 4000 & Radeon 7600). It runs with either graphics card, although obvious higher frame rate with the Radeon which has 2Gb of dedicated graphics.

If that doesn't work, suggest you post your config, especially the graphics card details on here so that others may be able to help.

polyfiller
12-11-13, 07:55 PM
Forgot to say, while you are selecting the properties, make the program run as administrator. If that works , you'll also need to make JSGME run as admin as well (if you use mods).

cdrsubron7
12-11-13, 11:55 PM
You say that you only see a brief flash of the SH4 update installer. What version of the game were you to trying to update to? Have you tried installing the updates manually?

I've upgraded to 8.1 and have no problems running SH4 at all. Of course, it could be that I have a desktop, but don't know that for sure. :D

irish1958
12-12-13, 09:47 AM
Upgrade to 8.1 killed SHIII and SH4 and a host of other programs on my computer. SH4 runs but it won't save games. SHIII crashes at random and won't save games either.
Ubisoft apparently do not support either game at this time.
I have observed all the details and technicalities of installation but no joy:/\\!!

JoeCorrado
12-12-13, 11:43 PM
I don't run Windows 8 but I do know that a dual boot setup will solve every single software issue that Microsoft's newest offering introduces. Legacy support is an outdated concept these days I suppose. Do a Google search for "Windows 8 dual boot" and you can solve all of your comparability issues the old fashioned way, by taking charge of your system.

As an aside, I use Windows 7 Ultimate and take full advantage of the ability to install multiple operating systems on virtual machines. A sweet add on with the Ultimate version that allows me to play DOS based games from the early nineties! Life is good. :yeah:

TorpX
12-13-13, 01:42 AM
This is just a shot in the dark, but have you tried re-installing them under your new Win 8.1? Don't know if it will work, but it would be less hassle than dual boot.

Matt86
12-13-13, 09:58 AM
I dont have any experience with win 8, but the flash of the update installer sounds like ubisofts auto-update program (gu.exe). Check your SHIV shortcut is linking to the actual game .exe and not the updater.

Lost Cause
12-14-13, 01:54 PM
I did an upgrade to windows 8.1 and had a few problems. First thing I'd try is right clicking on the sh4 icon and select properties. Then click on the compatibility tab and select "Vista SP2"... I posted in another thread that this gave me best results and cured what appeared to be a memory leak.

I'm running fine on 8.1 laptop with switchable graphics (Intel 4000 & Radeon 7600). It runs with either graphics card, although obvious higher frame rate with the Radeon which has 2Gb of dedicated graphics.

If that doesn't work, suggest you post your config, especially the graphics card details on here so that others may be able to help.

I feel like such a moron for thinking logically where Microsoft does not.

Running SH4 in compatibility mode solved the issue. If anyone else suffers the same problem, I would suggest trying this first.

Lost Cause
12-14-13, 01:56 PM
This is just a shot in the dark, but have you tried re-installing them under your new Win 8.1? Don't know if it will work, but it would be less hassle than dual boot.

This was my first course of action and tried it at least three times without success. It like beating my head on a brick wall, including the headache that followed afterward.

Lost Cause
12-14-13, 01:59 PM
Thank you all for your input. I'm sorry it was such a simple solution because I feel like I wasted board space and y'all's time. :oops:

TorpX
12-14-13, 06:31 PM
This was my first course of action and tried it at least three times without success. It like beating my head on a brick wall, including the headache that followed afterward.

I'm sorry it was such a simple solution because I feel like I wasted board space and y'all's time.

Yeah, we've all had that experience. Every computer should come with a large bottle of extra-strength aspirin. Glad you got it sorted out. No reason to feel bad about it.

emasino
12-16-13, 06:18 PM
I upgraded to 8.1 and no issues here. I would try re-installing the game

Berserker
12-16-13, 08:34 PM
I did the upgrade also..After a long talk with HP tech's,they advised me not to upgrade,too many bugs,wait for a couple of years for things to be properly tested..Long story shortened I had to restart the system,now sh4 works fine..

Aktungbby
12-17-13, 03:30 AM
Welcome aboard emasino & Lost Cause.:Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna
12-17-13, 07:32 AM
Welcome to SubSim to you both :salute: