PDA

View Full Version : Manpads on submarines/four horsemen

kbosak
12-05-13, 12:02 AM
I know this is only a theoretical thing, but in the game manpads seem to be overly limited. P[layed four horsement and found teh following issues:
When I surface Victor III, still can survive several minutes with 3 orions and ASW 212 overhead yet the following things happen:
-the missile is incorrectly rear-aspect only and this is customized for very old sensor and old jets, apparently. It should be perfectly possible to shot down a helo from its side, maybe even an Orion
-Orions, MAD planes and dipping sonar patrols should be flown very low. Here,
somehow, AI flies them so high that they cannot drop anything nor be targeted with manpads (3600m AGL!)
-because the planes fly a very thigs circles like 800m and manpads min range is quoted to be 500m depending on versions, plus this rear-aspect and engagement time, nothing is ever engaged in practice once the planes spot my sub. They drop nothing, either.
Side note: later versions of SA-N-8 and more recent editions have increasingly more evolved front aspect capability.
-surfaced Victor III at four horsemen and ran it flank for 20Nm surfaced, what invited seahawk, two asw.212, nimrod and a handful of orions overhead. Notoriously: manpads cannot fire because of altitude or... 'weapon must detect target prior to firing'. Cmoon, how long, it is 30minuest of running around. Worse, somebody thrown something ASuW at me, maybe a harpoon or tomahawk ASM, what missed completely.
-of finally after 30min gameplay it shot down one orion and two nimrods which made larger circle by accident or maybe overcrowded airspace
-at the end of flankrunning at 14kts something submerged chased me at flank and sunk with ADCAP, managed to survive for 2 hrs of gameplay
-meanwhile 2 extra nimrods died, looks lie AI mishandling fuel starvation
-suggested rewriting
1234m (3400 AGL)
because AGL means Above Ground Level, this makes impression that the former is AMSL and the latter AGL,
until you figure out units. there are many places where units are not mentioned explicitly, what creates a lot of cognitive disorder.

suggested rewriting as
1234m (3400ft) AGL

emsoy
12-06-13, 01:56 PM
Thanks once again for your input KBOSAK :D

Have registered a new bug report on me, will start looking into as soon as we got Command 1.02 is out the door.

Would be great if you could upload a savegame showing this. Thanks :up: