PDA

View Full Version : Ok to get SH4 off steam/mods?

jbruns29
11-25-13, 05:51 PM
Thinking of getting SH4 off steam. Are there any megamods for this game like GWX 3.0? Will they work with steam version? Is this game more in tune with SH3 or SH5? Thanks.

SilentPrey
11-25-13, 07:51 PM
Yes. There are several different mega-mods you can go with; I personally play Trigger Maru Overhauled with the Run Silent Run Deep Campaign and Optical Targeting Correction.

They will work with the Steam version but make sure to get the U-Boat Missions so you'll have version 1.5. I bought mine through Steam.

I never played SH5 but I'd say 4 is closer to 3 than 5.

ETR3(SS)
11-26-13, 10:02 AM
I recommend getting a hard copy vs the steam download. Had quite a few people complain on the forums about only getting v1.3 through steam and then had troubles getting the U-Boat Missions.

merc4ulfate
11-28-13, 01:04 PM
I would never use steam for anything other than a boiler. Get a hard copy or find a place to download a copy so you have all the files and do not need a steam connection.

I would even ask the folks at nosteam if they had a version before using anything at steam.

I find internet based applications and some who require connections for play a complete waste.

If you can reach around and unplug your network cat 5 cable or turn your router off and still play then fine. If you can't then I wouldn't waste my time getting anything from them.

mjones52
01-06-14, 02:42 AM
[QUOTE
If you can reach around and unplug your network cat 5 cable or turn your router off and still play then fine. If you can't then I wouldn't waste my time getting anything from them.[/QUOTE]

Just FYI, I've never had a problem running a game gotten via Steam in single-player mode.

For downloading, registration, updates, or multi-player then yes, a connection to Steam is necessary. For games that are under active support many find Steam versions at least OK; updates are automatic and most popular games have a strong modding and support community as well.

Under the Steam menu, upper left, is a selection to play offline. Select, restart Steam, good to go. At least, it's always worked for me, but I've mostly done that just with Civ IV and V.

I've got some games multi-key - I can install and play via Steam or do a clean personal install and play from desktop - or both (but saves don't sync auto-magically, of course.)

--> For some games, SH a case in point, it's likely better to start with one's own CD - no hassles re patching or running mods. <-- Be sure to image backup the CD and your OS after installing!

Be wary of d/l games - I'm out several hundred bucks from years back due to support drying up and key servers gone dark. Only way to protect yourself is make a complete image backup of your entire OS install to preserve your games as they were after registration and updates.

In fact, I'm having that problem right now. I originally bought the download version from Take2 or whoever at the time was the USA front-end for Ubisoft some years ago - on a hard drive that I sitting two feet away in a tower I can't access due to a dead monitor and closed-off remote access, nor do I have an external adapter - so I can't dig into my old Windows installs to find my original SH IV. (I've been running a Linux distro as main OS for about five years now, and my vm of XP is on the tower, not the old laptop I'm using.)

Ubisoft, among others, only allows a few installs before your licence is no longer good. After several machines and numerous hard drives, I'm SOL anyway - unless I buy SH yet a third time.

I'm left with the Steam version I bought two years ago. (I found your post while seeking a way to patch my Steam version, after finally joining up at SubSim this afternoon. Sorry to butt in. [grin])

Captain Dave
01-06-14, 09:09 AM
Welcome aboard MJONES52.

Gerald
01-06-14, 12:11 PM
:salute: