PDA

View Full Version : In case anyone wants them.

Admiral Halsey
11-13-13, 04:21 PM
Finally found the right coordinates for the Battle of Midway. They are 30N, 179.40W. Please note these are from TMO + RSRD and you mod setup may have different ones.

Bubblehead1980
11-13-13, 08:07 PM
Finally found the right coordinates for the Battle of Midway. They are 30N, 179.40W. Please note these are from TMO + RSRD and you mod setup may have different ones.

Which part of the battle? Main body? Nagumo's carrier force?

Admiral Halsey
11-13-13, 08:29 PM
The carrier force of course.

Cybermat47
11-13-13, 08:31 PM
It's time to turn the tide even more :)

Admiral Halsey
11-13-13, 08:45 PM

Wait until after the Bombers hit the carriers and have some fun with the Kongo's. That's what I normally do.

jldjs
11-14-13, 08:08 AM

How about some help with Coral Sea battle. I've been trying to find the IJN carrier force with no luck. I have a few save points on May 5 thru 6 that I can use if you could give me some coordinates.

Dread Knot
11-14-13, 08:50 AM

The only "miracle" at Midway was that the Japanese did not lose *much* more than they actually lost when all the shooting stopped. :03:

Admiral Halsey
11-14-13, 08:53 AM
How about some help with Coral Sea battle. I've been trying to find the IJN carrier force with no luck. I have a few save points on May 5 thru 6 that I can use if you could give me some coordinates.

I'll get right one it.(I never thought about trying to find the Coral Sea battle as I don't normally do a Brisbane campaign.)

Armistead
11-14-13, 02:55 PM

Use this for RSRD. Look at 3rd map where Jap TF comes around San Cristobal, that's the best ambush point. Just sit about 20 nms south of San Cris.. on the 5th and wait.

After you attack, if you get both carriers, rush flank to the strait at Rubaul, the invasion fleet returns night of 6th or 7th.

http://www.delsjourney.com/uss_neosho/coral_sea/battle_of_coral_sea/summary.htm

A great animated site for battles...http://www.pacificwaranimated.com/index.php/coralsea

If you plan it just right, you can attack the Shoho group, do the battle of CS and attack the returning Port Moresby invasion fleet at Rabaul.....conserve torps and attack capital ships only of course

Mikemike47
11-14-13, 03:55 PM
I will reference this Pacific War battles link (http://combinedfleet.com/battles/) from time to time. Or copy the complete webpage to your SH4 folder.

jldjs
11-14-13, 06:13 PM
Thanks for replies. One problem I have is the time of day to intercept at your suggested places. I am on extended patrol. It started from Surabaya, but then my home base got changed to PH. Now, using Wiki maps for the battle, times are given for where the carrier force was on May 5, 6, 7, and 8. Are those times local to the Battle area, or some other reference time? And, is the time the game displays PH based time, Surabaya based time, or something else?

My apologies for splitting this thread with the Coral Sea topic. Perhaps someone could answer my question regarding the time of day when playing as it relates to the times of the actual events from the battle, Coral Sea or Midway.

Cybermat47
11-14-13, 06:14 PM
Wait a second... the Yamato was at Midway!

:hmmm:

:)

GARBAGE DAY!

merc4ulfate
11-15-13, 12:44 AM
Wait a second... the Yamato was at Midway!

:hmmm:

:)

GARBAGE DAY!
=======================================

29 May 1942:Operation "MI" - The Battle of Midway: (http://www.combinedfleet.com/btl_mid.htm)
At 0600, YAMATO departs Hashirajima with the First Fleet, Main Body: BatDiv 1, light carrier HOSHO, seaplane/submarine tenders CHIYODA, NISSHIN, DesRon 3's light cruiser SENDAI, nine destroyers, Supply Group No. 1. The Main Body remains 600 miles behind the Carrier Striking Force.

30 May 1942:
The Japanese intercept, but cannot decode, a report by USS CUTTLEFISH (SS-171) returning from patrol near Saipan. Around midnight, the IJN's 6th (Submarine) Fleet at Kwajalein also reports monitoring messages exchanged by two American task groups located 170 miles NNE of Midway, moving westwards.
Aboard YAMATO, Admiral Yamamoto suggests that the information be relayed to the First Air Fleet's flagship, carrier AKAGI, but senior staff officer Captain Kuroshima cautions not to break radio silence.

5 June 1942:
0015: Admiral Yamamoto orders the night engagement cancelled.
0255: Yamamoto orders Operation MI cancelled.

9 June 1942:
The Chief of Staff of the First Air Fleet, Rear Admiral (later Vice Admiral) Kusaka Ryunosuke (former CO of AKAGI) and staff officers Captain Oishi Tamotsu and Cdr (later Gen/CINC JSDF) Genda Minoru arrive aboard YAMATO from light cruiser NAGARA.

10 June 1942:
1200 miles SE of Tokyo. After sunset, an unidentified submarine fires two torpedoes at YAMATO about 100 miles NNE of Minami-Torishima (Marcus Island). YAMATO and the other ships in the Main Body turn to port and both torpedoes miss.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/yamato.htm

merc4ulfate
11-15-13, 12:46 AM
Use this for RSRD. Look at 3rd map where Jap TF comes around San Cristobal, that's the best ambush point.

I did this once ... that was a fun mission.

Sandman_28054
11-15-13, 02:38 AM

TMO 2.0: Coordinates: 178.28 N; 35. 32 W; 4 June, 1942

Dread Knot
11-16-13, 06:35 AM
=======================================

10 June 1942:
1200 miles SE of Tokyo. After sunset, an unidentified submarine fires two torpedoes at YAMATO about 100 miles NNE of Minami-Torishima (Marcus Island). YAMATO and the other ships in the Main Body turn to port and both torpedoes miss.
http://www.combinedfleet.com/yamato.htm

The final run in toward port in Japan after Midway was tense, jittery and full of submarine alerts. However, there seems to be no record of an attack by a US sub on that particular date. Admiral English tried to organize some submarine attacks on the retreating Japanese, but it all came to naught. I think it's safe to say that after the calamity they had been through, that Yamamoto and company were a bit on edge and were seeing the enemy everywhere.

Armistead
11-16-13, 08:33 PM
Just remember with RSRD most TF take exact paths from base, so often you can better ambush them leaving port or in a strait if you choose this style of play. For instance, you can catch the Midway carrier group coming through the Bungo heading for battle, all the capital ships in one long single line. RSRD has numerous groups for most battles, again Midway, you have several large TF, but most go for the carrier group. There is also the large invasion fleet leaving Saipan for Midway that is fun to attack. Total, they're about 5 large groups involved in the Midway battle, plus the northern groups.