PDA

View Full Version : save games/load game problems...

Lastman
10-21-13, 08:47 AM
every time I load a saved game, the loading stops at 3/5, then It will show the message "find em, chase em, sink em" (I use TMO 2.5) but at this point the game freezes, or sometimes CTD .... I read around, i don't remember where, that it was a common problem and that the solution was to remove the attribute "read-only" from folders of SH4 and from documents/SH4 (for game saves) .... so I did it and the first times it worked, but it doesn't work now, and every time I try to remove the read-only attribute from the 2 folders, if I'm going to review the properties of the folder it is as if I had not done anything (the box is greyed out).

I use TMO 2.5
"bigger and better protractors"
TMO_ Metric_SpeedChart_Nomo

help, i try to remove the attribute read only with my administrator account, or from the prompt command attrib -r...but nothing happened, please help

Lastman
10-21-13, 12:11 PM
no one can help?

fireftr18
10-21-13, 01:08 PM
Patience young padawan. People have jobs or other real life activities to tend to and Subsim is down on the list. You need to give people time to get on, read it, then help.

Normally, the problem is a corrupt save. That's usually caused by saving the game over and over in the same file. The save system is rather complicated and if you overwrite the same save file too many times, you'll corrupt it. Save each time in a different file. While still in the office screen, I'll make a master save. For instance "fireftr18." Then, while on patrol, I'll add a number ("fireftr18 1","fireftr18 2", and so on).
When you saved was a problem on older computers. I never had a problem, but other have. After discussions, a safe way to save was developed. Try to save during day, on the surface, in clear weather, with nothing within sensor range.

Lastman
10-22-13, 09:07 AM
Patience young padawan. People have jobs or other real life activities to tend to and Subsim is down on the list. You need to give people time to get on, read it, then help.

Normally, the problem is a corrupt save. That's usually caused by saving the game over and over in the same file. The save system is rather complicated and if you overwrite the same save file too many times, you'll corrupt it. Save each time in a different file. While still in the office screen, I'll make a master save. For instance "fireftr18." Then, while on patrol, I'll add a number ("fireftr18 1","fireftr18 2", and so on).
When you saved was a problem on older computers. I never had a problem, but other have. After discussions, a safe way to save was developed. Try to save during day, on the surface, in clear weather, with nothing within sensor range.
thanks for your answer...but i load an old save game near a resupply ship, it work, but when i save whit a new save game name and try to load it,the game CTD :/\\!!

fireftr18
10-22-13, 12:56 PM
thanks for your answer...but i load an old save game near a resupply ship, it work, but when i save whit a new save game name and try to load it,the game CTD :/\\!!

The file may still have corrupted. Try abandoning that patrol and starting a new one. :06:

TorpX
10-22-13, 05:45 PM
Lastman, can you verify that the save game files/folders are not "Read Only"? The reason I ask, is that Windows Vista is known to be stubborn about allowing you to change the status of files/folders.

Lastman
10-23-13, 12:22 AM
Lastman, can you verify that the save game files/folders are not "Read Only"? The reason I ask, is that Windows Vista is known to be stubborn about allowing you to change the status of files/folders.

as i said in the first post, I saw that the folder is in read only, but everytime i try to change it, if i reopen the proprietes of the folder, it still stay in read only! :(

P.s
I have windows 7 64 bit....

desertstriker
10-23-13, 10:49 AM
try clicking on apply before clicking ok. though if you have installed the game to the defualt directory that can also be causing some issues.

jldjs
10-23-13, 11:07 AM
as i said in the first post, I saw that the folder is in read only, but everytime i try to change it, if i reopen the proprietes of the folder, it still stay in read only! :(

P.s
I have windows 7 64 bit....

Check your user group permissions, Security tab, it should allow for modify and write, mine shows complete control. The folder properties does show Read Only on mine but the user groups, System and mine, show complete control.

Lastman
10-23-13, 01:04 PM
Check your user group permissions, Security tab, it should allow for modify and write, mine shows complete control. The folder properties does show Read Only on mine but the user groups, System and mine, show complete control.

i did it... but it didn't work, it stay in read only mode....

try clicking on apply before clicking ok. though if you have installed the game to the defualt directory that can also be causing some issues.

i did it...

jldjs
10-23-13, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=Lastman;2132527]i did it... but it didn't work, it stay in read only mode....

The folder used for the game saves may show, as you say, Read only, but if the user permissions (System, your user name, etc.) allow for writing, modifying, etc, then your saves will be written. Mine are when I run under Win 7!
I have experienced corrupt saves for as long as I've played this game, though most of these were caused by bad modding on my part, installing mods that aren't meant to work together or incorrectly entered into the Mod folder. The frequency has also diminished significantly since I installed the Large Address Aware fix. This permits the game to get at least 3gb of Ram even on 32 bit Windows. I find the version 1.5 to be very stable.

TorpX
10-23-13, 10:53 PM
I don't know if this will help or not. I have problems from time to time, deleting a folder or group of files (has nothing to do with SH). The stupid machine won't let me. I pull up the properties panel and change it, but it does no good. When I check again, it is back to "read only". The only way I could delete it is to change it, then reboot the machine. Only then could I delete the folder.

I don't understand why this kind of crap happens, but rebooting seems to be required (at least sometimes).

It sounds like you have something like this going on.

neilbyrne
10-25-13, 01:19 PM
I'm having a save problem as well altho of a somewhat different character. I just came back to SH4 from a couple of years playing Roma Surrectum II, a mod to Rome Total War, which if you are into the genre is terrific. But after two complete campaigns of about a year each, felt I should return to my naval roots. I'm USN retired.

Previous to RSII, I played three SH4 campaigns to VJ Day. I seem to remember something like what I'm experiencing now, but can't remember if there's a fix. I never write over a save; they all get new names as cited above. When I load a save, I'm immediately under attack and "taking damage". Usually, this is entirely recoverable, some minor system damage easily repaired. Just a nuisance. However, last night both after torpedo tubes were damaged altho I don't remember getting that msg and found out only when I tried to fire them. When I went to the DC screen, they showed no damage whatsoever. I mounted a DC party for an hour, but no change. Of my seven remaining torps, four are aft so this will likely cut the patrol short.

So three questions. Is this just some kind of corrupted save that I need to live with? I checked the latest save file and it thinks those tubes have not sustained any damage hit pts. Is there a file where this corruption might be located and fixed?

If I go into port, will that fix the problem for next patrol?

I've got a super capable gaming rig so it's unlikely a hardware problem.

I'm running the following mods:
TMO 2.5
RSRDC V502
EZ Plot V1.0
Magnified HUD dials for V1.5 large
Foobors HiRes PORPOISE Black V1.0

Thanks for your help.

TorpX
10-25-13, 09:13 PM
However, last night both after torpedo tubes were damaged altho I don't remember getting that msg and found out only when I tried to fire them. When I went to the DC screen, they showed no damage whatsoever. I mounted a DC party for an hour, but no change. Of my seven remaining torps, four are aft so this will likely cut the patrol short.

Once, I had a patrol where all 4 tubes became inoperable (in a S-boat). I had no message, or any explanation as to why. We had taken no fire, and showed no damage, but, nevertheless, could not launch torpedoes. All I could do was consider it a mechanical casualty, and return home, empty handed.

I never figured out what happened. The next patrol was ok.

This was with RFB, btw.

Mikemike47
10-25-13, 10:12 PM
Is this just some kind of corrupted save that I need to live with?
It happens with all silent hunter 3-5 series. So many mods and variables. I always save on surface, away from other ships, TC=1 and save the mission 1-4 times. Never overwrite a save, delete oldest one first, then save with same filename.

Even when I have starting a new game, sometimes there is residual data leftover. Try deleting all from Documents\SH4\Data\Cfg\Richsavedgames & Documents\SH4\Data\Cfg\Savegames.

I checked the latest save file and it thinks those tubes have not sustained any damage hit pts. Is there a file where this corruption might be located and fixed?

I have heard it is complicated, others may have or not been able to fix things like this. Not up my alley. Check the fleetboat mod threads, bubblehead1980, armistead, privateer, webster have lots of knowledge.

If I go into port, will that fix the problem for next patrol?
Sometimes going to port does fix things.

Click on my signature link below and try post #3, maybe something work there. Works well on SH3-SH5.

neilbyrne
10-26-13, 10:44 AM
Thanks all for the help. My latest problem is I can't delete old saves; get an error message that "Can not delete save." I've now got a dozen I can't get rid of.