PDA

View Full Version : Finally Playing SH4

andylegate
09-22-13, 06:36 AM
I finally got around to buying and start playing SH4 last week.

I've spent several years playing SH3 off and on, with the GWX mod really enhancing that game for me.

I was distracted from that game here and there by playing other games (RPGs like Skyrim, Mass Effect, Mass Effect2, et), a hard drive crash and loosing SH3 game disk having to buy it again, etc.

So there I was with SH4 and learning to play it. I must say that it is quite different than SH3 in many ways.

I won't say that I hate the interface, but it has taken me quite a bit to get used to it. And it seems a bit harder to sink ships (took 5 torps to sink a small composit merchant last night....all solid hits on it, but it just didn't want to sink).

But if I have to complain about something, it would be the volume level of the voice actors. I have to turn the music and all the other sound effects way down to hear my crew.

On the other hand I do so love having to remember to send the TDC information to my torps before shooting. Was hilarious the first time I played using the tutorials and could not figure out at first why all my torps were going the wrong way! :haha:

I won't say that I like one game over the other, especially since I just started SH4 and have played SH3 for a very long time now. I'll wait until I have a lot more cruise time on SH4 under my belt.

Webster
09-22-13, 10:23 AM
welcome to sh4, if you don't already have it you need to get the v1.5 ad-on.

it adds some game fixes you need to have and it also opens up the german side campaign you can play and I know there is a Japanese campaign mod to turn the german side into a Japanese campaign if you desire. there is a big mod called operation munson that gives you a whole new scripted german side of the game, something it never really had.

after getting v1.5 running use my GFO mod that adds many more badly needed fixes to the game plus a lot of extra added content to the game. it doesn't change the difficulty or game play so its just a mod of fixes with lots of missions and added content.

once you get used to the game with it then you can decide if you want to make the game harder by using TMO or RFB mods

good luck and happy hunting

andylegate
09-22-13, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the info.

My SH4 was bought and downloaded from Steam. Do I still need to get the 1.5 patch?

ETA: DOH! Never mind. That's a $10 DLC from Steam. I'll get around to getting it one day. :)

Sailor Steve
09-22-13, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the world of the "Good Guys"! Unless of course you're playing with Op Monsun, in which case I contradict myself and say "U-boats forever!"

I've never had that problem with the voices, so I'm not sure what's causing it but I am sure it's not normal. One thing you can do is use a free program like www.goldwave.com (http://www.goldwave.com) to adjust all the voice levels. The program and others like it usually have "batch" adjustments so you can raise them all at once. That shouldn't be needed, though.

SH4 is great in its own way and a couple of the complaints about SH3 were addressed, mainly the crew now automatically rotates so you don't have to do it, and when General Quarters is called everyone goes on duty and the most qualified man for each post is put in charge. I find that very cool. On the other hand I wish there was something like SH3 Commander for SH4, mostly for the huge variety of crew names and for the ship names. :sunny:

I also like your "Brag Page". :rock:

TorpX
09-22-13, 08:53 PM
I liked it too. :up: