PDA

View Full Version : Fate is the Hunter,

c13Garrison
09-02-13, 11:38 AM
But apathy is the weapon.

April 1943, Dean Hobb's career had seemed charmed, nothing had gone seriously awry since the war started. The tonnages racked up had his name in the papers and spoken in wardrooms across the theatre. He'd even been told that when the new top secret torpedo was ready next summer that his would be the first boat to test them, if he wasn't promoted out of the water first.

Then came the deployment to the Marshalls. He wasn't thrilled, no one was. Pickings would be sparse, and no harbors in the area to prey upon if there were fish left to spend at the end. The course was set, all open ocean, then a cut through towards Majore. As they were getting closer he noticed the course was drifting over the shallows of an atol, but he just wanted to get on station, unconcerned with 5 minutes travel in 40' of water. He just couldn't be bothered with plotting a course around the area, and so he couldn't be bothered with the safety of his crew. The water wasn't 40', but 3'. Glass shattered all through the control room, the boat rumbled and shrieked, and when they rushed topside they were hopelessly high and dry.

The Sea had taught another lesson, and the chaff was further separated from the grain. The ignorant shall be culled, the lazy shall be purged. This was such a stupid thing for me to do that I'm not going to reload from save and continue. I truly deserved this one.

I think my decision to not write up stories because the captains might die contributed to a sense of just pushing on to get done with the war. I think I should reverse that.

in_vino_vomitus
09-02-13, 12:20 PM
Shame about the boat :( - please do reconsider the writing strategy - I like reading about your adventures.

TorpX
09-02-13, 10:56 PM
Fate is the Hunter,
But apathy is the weapon.

With some help from good old TC, I take it?

I guess we've all had careers end badly, for one reason or another.

c13Garrison
09-04-13, 11:42 AM
TC was on, but I was actively watching the track, and knew it was drifting over shallows, and decided it would probably be ok. Probably not!

Now when I plot courses I'm going to give shallow water a 5 mile berth whenever possible.