PDA

View Full Version : crush changes...

c13Garrison
08-26-13, 10:23 PM
So, I'm on a dreadful run of getting a year into my career, accomplishing some pretty cool things, then taking things for granted and buying the farm.

Current (late) captain was Solomon Lord, and he died in the Solomons. Nov 11 intercepted Japanese bombardment force, fired 4 torpedoes at BB at 1300 yards. He was tipped to it immediately and turned in evading all 4. I went deep and steered SE so as to head towards the battlefield. In the next 90 min I got quite a pounding as I wasn't running quiet. I did up scope and marveled at the distant flashes, then closed down again as nearby destroyers opened fire. 20 minutes later sonar showed they were steering NW again, back around Savo. I came up for a peek and saw a BB at 1800 yards making 12 knots. I switched to the attack scope when incoming fire caused casualties and destroyed the night scope. I fired all 3 and went deep again, steering back NW. Depth charging continued.

After another 15 minutes I came up to confirm I was following the right track. She was listing so her starboard deck was being licked by the calm seas but still making way, & in fact raising speed. I followed for about an hour, popping up for a peek now and again, but she showed no sign of dropping behind and a lost sight. At radar depth though I saw that someone had in fact been left behind. I knew it might mean losing the BB but I went back to find a Takao heavy cruiser dead in the water. I dispatched as dawn was breaking.

Well, the big one got away, but not too bad I thought. I went to Tulagi to restock, noticing i had 45% hull damage, then took station off Savo. Much to my surprise the very next night a whole column of cruisers came along, a Furutaka and 3 Takaos followed by others. I fired at 1200 yards and the damn things evaded aGain. I guess it was just too flat and calm. So I ordered 200 feet and SW at slow, hoping I'd have one torp reloaded by the end of the column. Our depth reached 199 and then POP! Bulkhead destroyed! Flooding! I blew tanks but no good. Kaput.

I guess the boat showed her age afterall.

TorpX
08-27-13, 12:39 AM
...noticing i had 45% hull damage...

It's not the age, it's the milage. :03:

in_vino_vomitus
08-27-13, 04:22 AM
......and by "Mileage" we mean "Gunfire"

agrims
08-27-13, 06:23 AM
And by mileage and or gunfire we mean those holes you received. Should have called a training :timeout:!!! Blame it on the extra weight of the full tanks and full rack of torps..

BigWalleye
08-27-13, 06:40 AM
IIRC, you can't reload torpedoes while at Silent Running, even in the stock game.

Rockin Robbins
08-27-13, 08:09 AM
You were hundreds of miles from the nearest farm too!

Armistead
08-27-13, 08:20 AM
A good rule is the is the 10% rule. Deduct that from your crush depth. Simply if your crush depth is 500 feet, you get 10 percent bulkhead damage, don't go below 450 and so on

in_vino_vomitus
08-27-13, 08:49 AM
You were hundreds of miles from the nearest farm too!

Hundreds of fathoms anyway.......

c13Garrison
08-27-13, 09:29 AM
That one made me laugh Vino. :haha:

And I wasn't at silent running, just chose slow in my probably vain attempt to compensate for the clanking of reloading torps.

and-and thanks for that rule of thumb Arm, very good to know!