PDA

View Full Version : destination tokyo

edwardallen
08-24-13, 03:31 PM
Just finished watching destination tokyo. A bit melodramatic but not a bad flick. I was just wondering what the oscilloscope gizmo does and how come we dont have one.

TorpX
08-24-13, 08:40 PM
It's been too long since I've seen it, but I'll guess that is was either the A-scope radar, or the SD radar. Does anyone have a screenie?

edwardallen
08-25-13, 10:06 AM
its definately some type of radar scope but nothing like ive ever seen in
in any sub movie or simulator

cdrsubron7
08-25-13, 10:18 AM
One thing to remember about Destination: Tokyo is that it was made during the war as a propaganda movie. Anything seen in that movie would have been seen by the Japanese also. Any machinery shown in the movie would not have been the real thing that would have been in a real submarine. :yep:

TorpX
08-26-13, 02:03 AM
That's a good point. They really couldn't afford to show the latest, secret technical gizmos, could they?

Dread Knot
08-26-13, 08:08 AM
Although there is a lot of Hollywood wartime schmaltz in Destination Tokyo, in a refreshing departure from sub movie clichés, there are no rivets popping, leaks springing, going below the maximum depth, releasing a dead body, etc. Plus, the sub sinks a destroyer with a straight on bow shot thus inspiring future USN submarine captains. :up:

Aktungbby
08-26-13, 12:08 PM
Actually one of the greatest disinformations of WWII was the announcement by FDR that the Doolittle raid had been launched from our secret base in "Shangri La" based on the novel of the same name. As a result, the Nipponese spent time looking for this place and to prevent a repetition of the raid and embarrassment to the devine emporer, held back two carriers in the Midway operation. Hence the aircraft carrier USS Shangri La...Has any one viewed http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/-23k on the moving of u550 to a new location?:arrgh!:

Dread Knot
08-26-13, 12:15 PM
Actually one of the greatest disinformations of WWII was the announcement by FDR that the Doolittle raid had been launched from our secret base in "Shangri La" based on the novel of the same name. As a result, the Nipponese spent time looking for this place and to prevent a repetition of the raid and embarrassment to the devine emporer, held back two carriers in the Midway operation. Hence the aircraft carrier USS Shangri La...Has any one viewed http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/-23k on the moving of u550 to a new location?:arrgh!:

Actually the novel was called "Lost Horizons". Shangri-La is the mystical, harmonious valley described in the book. The Japanese recognized the fictional inference and deduced carriers instead.

Aktungbby
08-26-13, 12:48 PM
Yer literacy does you credit! Rost Holizon?

Dread Knot
08-26-13, 01:02 PM
Rost Holizon?

Makes me think of every WW2 Marine's favorite password. "Lollipop." :D If you heard "Rorrypop" back you starting shooting.

cdrsubron7
08-26-13, 02:38 PM

Just for historical accuracy, the reason the Shokaku and Zuikaku did not participate in the Battle of Midway was they were in drydock being repaired for damage received in the Coral Sea Operations. They were non-operational at the time of Midway. :D

Aktungbby
08-26-13, 02:38 PM
"A 'Shibboleth' in time saves Nine u infernal Ephramite!"-Joshua :Kaleun_Salute:

Peter Cremer
08-26-13, 02:51 PM

I was in VA-83 on USS Shangri-La (CVA-38) in 1968 for its last cruise as a CVA carrier. After that cruise I believe it was designated as a CVS carrier for hunting subs. A year or so after that they had a really bad flight deck fire that pretty much ended the "Shangs" career. It was later taken over seas and broken up for scrap metal. At least that's how I remember it.

Aktungbby
08-26-13, 03:29 PM
Regards! Just toured the Hornet in San Fran. Bay. My brother was helmsman aboard the Oklahoma City (flagship),now part of the coral at Guam- talk about 'reefer madness'..:arrgh!:

TorpX
08-26-13, 11:53 PM
Has any one viewed http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/-23k on the moving of u550 to a new location?:arrgh!:
I saw it a few years ago, at the new location. The main difference is that it is now indoors. There are other improvements, but I think they decided they had to move it indoors so it didn't rust away.