PDA

View Full Version : Ahoy shipmates

sonicninja
08-21-13, 03:09 PM
I've been playing SH3 for years and years and thought i would give SH4 a go as i picked it up at a car boot sale for 50p :)
Ready through as much stuff as i can on the forums regarding mods, whats everyones favorite for Sh4, so much to choose from???

in_vino_vomitus
08-21-13, 03:18 PM
Welcome aboard :)

I can't comment on RFB, never having played it, but TMO combined with OTC is a combination I'd recommend to anyone. TDW's Dc water disturbance mod, and fire damage mod are very handy, and I like the strategic map symbols mod, because those orange stars on the chart quite frankly look daft.

Good hunting :)

Rockin Robbins
08-21-13, 03:22 PM
I'm a TMO guy through and through. I like the ship traffic in RSRD but don't like the gameplay changes. I don't like OTC because it gives you perfect knowledge of every ship on the ocean, both friendly and hostile. That's not historically justifiable. Removing error removes war. Error is the central mechanism of war. Everything else is window dressing.

Bubblehead1980
08-21-13, 05:17 PM
I'm a TMO guy through and through. I like the ship traffic in RSRD but don't like the gameplay changes. I don't like OTC because it gives you perfect knowledge of every ship on the ocean, both friendly and hostile. That's not historically justifiable. Removing error removes war. Error is the central mechanism of war. Everything else is window dressing.

I cant play without RSRD now days, I just miss it too much, TMO feels incomplete without for me, esp with the upgrades I have made.However, I do miss TMO's planes.I have been trying to figure out how to get them to act the same in RSRD.

Rockin Robbins
08-21-13, 05:25 PM
Yes, having planes bomb you when you're at periscope depth was one of Ducimus' most inspired inventions. I guess a tour through RSRD is in order to ferret out all the "improvements" to gameplay.

Welcome sonicninja! When you're playing SH4, you really have to forget all about SH3. These aren't U-Boats. This isn't the tiny Atlantic. You're playing in a war where the use of submarines was appropriate and resulted in victory. You're playing in a submarine that was a good fit for its responsibilities. All that is markedly different from what you are used to. Comparing and trying to apply U-boat knowledge to US subs is not the best way to proceed. Especially the TDCs are very different.

Admiral Halsey
08-21-13, 05:30 PM
Wait the planes won't bomb you when your at periscope depth when using RSRD? Looks like no more diving to 165ft when a plane shows up on radar.

fireftr18
08-21-13, 08:10 PM
Welcome to the Pacific theater sonicninja! Glad to have more sub skippers to destroy the IJN. Just remember, in the Pacific, we just sink the ships with the big red spot in the middle of a white flag, not the ones with red, white, and blue all over them.
:salute:

Your special newby job is to re-organize the recognition manual according to the country's flags. :know:

TorpX
08-21-13, 11:02 PM
Well, I play RFB, and I can tell you from personal experience, that the planes in RFB can bomb you at a good depth. I've lost more than one career that way.