PDA

View Full Version : An admittedly sophmoric question.

c13Garrison
08-11-13, 10:15 PM
I've been hitting "print screen" to take screen shots, but I'm not finding any images where I expect to.

1) Did I make a stupid assumption on how to take screen shots?, &

2) Where should I be looking to find them?

I'll be in my cabin awaiting the just derision of my crew...

Cybermat47
08-11-13, 11:36 PM
I believe that it's Ctrl-F11 to take screens. Go to the game's main directory.

And what does Sophmoric mean? :06:

c13Garrison
08-11-13, 11:59 PM
Mm, meaning a question that I feel I should have been able to resolve myself.

And Ctl-f11 just locked and crashed my game, so if that's how you do it I guess I'll be doing without screenies... -.-

in_vino_vomitus
08-12-13, 02:05 AM
I got pointed at this by Gryff. it optimises your machine for gameplay and as an added benefit it takes screenshots and records video - Worth a look.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

grislyatoms
08-12-13, 09:15 AM
I can take pictures but I can never find them. Even going directly to the path indicated on screen when the pic is taken. Subsequently, a wildcard search of the entire local drive for a given pic's file name turns up nothing...

Sailor Steve
08-12-13, 09:44 AM
And what does Sophmoric mean? :06:
A Sophomore is someone in the second year of high school or college, also used for someone in the second year of a job or project. Since the person is no longer a Freshman he is percieved as feeling that he knows more than everybody around him, but is in fact still quite naive and lacking in knowledge.

More simply, "sophomoric" is usually used as a substitute for "stupid".

in_vino_vomitus
08-12-13, 10:57 AM
I can take pictures but I can never find them. Even going directly to the path indicated on screen when the pic is taken. Subsequently, a wildcard search of the entire local drive for a given pic's file name turns up nothing...

If you're taking pics in the normal way [ctrl+F11] then they'll be in the SH4 folder. The filename will be a [game] timestamp. If you're taking pix with the Razer app then they're in your My Documents folder, in the \Razer\SH4\ subfolder.

Hope one of those does the trick.....

grislyatoms
08-12-13, 11:01 AM
Ctrl-F11 was what I was using. I have a fresh, new install with the mods I want. I'll try it again. Prior, it was as if the game thought it was taking pics but really wasn't. Wildcard search should have turned up something.

Thanks for the advice, as always!:up:

c13Garrison
08-12-13, 12:58 PM
I'll look at the add-on program, though I'll try C/F11 in a training run to see if the crash repeats.

...and if I'd been thinking properly, "TheSophmore" sounds like it would have been a perfect metaphorical online handle for me.

Aktungbby
08-12-13, 01:46 PM
If you're taking pics in the normal way [ctrl+F11] then they'll be in the SH4 folder. The filename will be a [game] timestamp. If you're taking pix with the Razer app then they're in your My Documents folder, in the \Razer\SH4\ subfolder.

Hope one of those does the trick.....
Danke that info!:arrgh!:

in_vino_vomitus
08-12-13, 07:00 PM
Bitte :)

BrucePartington
08-12-13, 10:55 PM
I'll look at the add-on program, though I'll try C/F11 in a training run to see if the crash repeats.

...and if I'd been thinking properly, "TheSophmore" sounds like it would have been a perfect metaphorical online handle for me.
Navigate to find your SH4 folder in Programs. Right click it, select 'Properties'. In the 'Security' tab, give your 'user' full access rights. Then do the same for the SH4.exe file inside.
Only after this I finally found my 'screenies', and no more crash/freeze ups.

c13Garrison
08-12-13, 11:05 PM
Gadzooks. What a brilliant. ..[I]plan.[I]

Sorry, had to. :D

TorpX
08-12-13, 11:55 PM
This is odd. The files should be .bmp (bitmaps), and be in the SH4 folder mixed in with all the other game stuff. (Not really ideal.)

If you can't find any trace of them, you might want to follow BrucePartington's suggestion and check the properties of the folders.

Pisces
08-13-13, 11:30 AM
Mm, meaning a question that I feel I should have been able to resolve myself.

And Ctl-f11 just locked and crashed my game, so if that's how you do it I guess I'll be doing without screenies... -.-You probably installed the game in the default location in Program Files. You probably also have either Vista, 7 or Windows 8. These OS-es protect your system if a program is trying to create or change files in this folderstructure. When you make a screendump SH4 makes a file in there. And the OS tries to prompt a UAC screen asking for permission. However, since the game is fullscreen or doesn't expect this to happen, it pukes and crashes. Since no permission is granted, the OS denies making the file so you'll never find the screen dump in there.

There are solutions of disabling UAC, or explicitly start the game as an administrator account. But that opens up security holes for nasty stuff intruding in your system. The easiest way, and a "solve this once and for all", is to select a different install folder for the game upon installation. (like C:\games\SilentHunter4) Then you can mod the game and make screen dumps to your hearts content.

c13Garrison
08-13-13, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the insight Pisces, now I know exactly why that happened.

I'll consider the Admin solution, it sounds most practical. A re-install introduces too many variables for my liking, and I'll probably have to do it sometime anyway when the soup gets too thick.