PDA

View Full Version : RSRD Midway battle...

c13Garrison
08-09-13, 12:29 PM
I'm perplexed why I couldn't find any sign of this battle taking place.

I set up 5 days before hand 300nm NW of Midway. Narry a peep of a ship on sonar nor a single plane on radar. At 10am on the 4th I realized I wasn't going to find Kido Butai so I headed west at flank hoping to contact the Main Body before Yammamoto turned back. After a day and a half I realized this was moot as well. Then I headed south 250-or-so miles, then east to Midway hoping to find the bombardment force limping home. Nada.

I couldn't have accidently de-spawned THREE battlegroups. Is Midway not modeled?? :06:

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC
LST_TMO_v2
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Stock Environment_v3_TMO&RFB
Submarine Hull Numbers
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
Easier AI for TMO 2.5 by Orpheus
Donation_Narwhal _v185_TMO

Bubblehead1980
08-09-13, 12:45 PM
I'm perplexed why I couldn't find any sign of this battle taking place.

I set up 5 days before hand 300nm NW of Midway. Narry a peep of a ship on sonar nor a single plane on radar. At 10am on the 4th I realized I wasn't going to find Kido Butai so I headed west at flank hoping to contact the Main Body before Yammamoto turned back. After a day and a half I realized this was moot as well. Then I headed south 250-or-so miles, then east to Midway hoping to find the bombardment force limping home. Nada.

I couldn't have accidently de-spawned THREE battlegroups. Is Midway not modeled?? :06:

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC
LST_TMO_v2
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Stock Environment_v3_TMO&RFB
Submarine Hull Numbers
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
Easier AI for TMO 2.5 by Orpheus
Donation_Narwhal _v185_TMO

Midway is one of the tougher ones to find, mainly because its before you have surface search radar, plus its a big open sea area. The battle is modeled in great detail.More than likely you just missed them. The way i eventually found it was dumb luck, i noticed on SD radar a lot of what turned out to be US planes on the morning of June 4 flying over me, heading what I assumed was towards the IJN fleet(torpedo planes, the ill fated VT-8) so I headed in the direction the were, Maybe hour later I ran into the carrier force, while I was closing in the the dive bombers came on soon, wrecked a couple carriers and a DD.I closed in and fired 6 torpedoes at a carrier, 4 ran deep, 1 was a premature, two hit.She was on fire but steamed away while DD's pounced on me, later I put four stern torpedoes to finished off one of the carriers damaged by dive bombers.

This was the only time, in all my tries I found the battle, it was pure luck.I've found them before or after the battle but on the morning of, just takes some great timing. Could always open up the file with the mission editor file is mods/rsrd/campaign/battleofmidway. This shows you all the movements of the different forces, can get coordinates if needed, can run the simulation to see timing, it may help.Ill admit I try not to use it but I have when I want to know where to be to witness certain battles.I did this after the time I mentioned above where I located it because of the planes.Like I said, you probably just were not in right place, a lot of ocean out there or could have been too close and someone didnt spawn.Nagumos carrier force comes from Japan, then stops and respawns early morning of June 4 if i remember correctly.

c13Garrison
08-09-13, 12:51 PM
I was probably too close then. Darn.

Ah well, next career. :)

I'll set up differently next time, maybe 150 miles due north of Midway on the 4th, then search westward. In this case I don't much care if I get any tonnage, I would just like to see a major battle going on.

In fact, I'd say it was unlikely I could sink anything, unless I'm finishing off a cripple.

Armistead
08-09-13, 02:02 PM
If you really want to find it, open the ME, plenty of measuring tools.

Bubblehead1980
08-09-13, 04:34 PM
I was probably too close then. Darn.

Ah well, next career. :)

I'll set up differently next time, maybe 150 miles due north of Midway on the 4th, then search westward. In this case I don't much care if I get any tonnage, I would just like to see a major battle going on.

In fact, I'd say it was unlikely I could sink anything, unless I'm finishing off a cripple.

Yes, scoring kills is not my big thing when visiting historical battles, mostly there to watch, will attack is presents an opportunity or sink the cripples after its over.Midway was cool, of course I modified it bc felt didnt have enough planes, esp dive bombers attacking.Had to go a little less than historical because game took a Frame hit and slowed down but added quite a few to the dive bomber groups, they really tore into the IJN ships.