PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo Oddity

c13Garrison
08-09-13, 12:22 PM
I had something bad happen on my 3rd Narwhal patrol, but pretty cool from a game mechanics point of view. I was waiting in Convoy College when a lone ship ran through at 12 knots.

I fired 4 torps fast from open tubes, the first 3 on the same mark so they were running about 15-20 feet behind each other and probably within 5 feet of the same track. The first torpedo had a premature detonation, and as the trailing 2 reached the zone of disturbed water they detonated too! I didn't realize the water modeling was so accurate as that.

The 4th was skewed about 100 feet further back along the Maru's hull, thus having a clean run in, and exploded below the keel to break the ship in half.

Bubblehead1980
08-09-13, 01:18 PM
I had something bad happen on my 3rd Narwhal patrol, but pretty cool from a game mechanics point of view. I was waiting in Convoy College when a lone ship ran through at 12 knots.

I fired 4 torps fast from open tubes, the first 3 on the same mark so they were running about 15-20 feet behind each other and probably within 5 feet of the same track. The first torpedo had a premature detonation, and as the trailing 2 reached the zone of disturbed water they detonated too! I didn't realize the water modeling was so accurate as that.

The 4th was skewed about 100 feet further back along the Maru's hull, thus having a clean run in, and exploded below the keel to break the ship in half.

Yep, why its always good to fire them 6-10 seconds apart, depending on the situation.They can cause others to premature.

TorpX
08-10-13, 12:11 AM
Yup. :yep:

in_vino_vomitus
08-10-13, 03:18 AM
Nothing to do with prematures, but firing on the surface in heavy seas, I had a torpedo that left the boat airborne. it took me a moment to realise what the splashing sound was - I thought that was nice attention to detail.

TorpX
08-11-13, 12:25 AM
I was going to say that has never happened to me, but, even if it did, I would likely be none the wiser.