PDA

View Full Version : CTD problem

Flying_Ducthman
08-02-13, 10:32 PM
Recently having a CTD problem:/\\!!, can't find a debug file to post. But I recently started a fresh career after installing some graphics mods. Right now I'm in the South China Sea and there was a report of a fast moving ship off of Saigon heading my way. I saved once I got close just before contact, right when I made contact I got a CTD. Tried reloading and wont even load just CTD's again. I'm running the stock game with radio stations and graphics mods(Merchant skins, Coral sea fleet graphics, reworked Office, Authentic Flag mod, 3d Interior mods for all boats). Right now am running a defrag and restarting as soon as thats done and gonna try to load up again. Will edit post if that doesn't work. Any help is appreciated

EDIT#1: Should have added that I'm running the steam version 1.5 u-boat missions
EDIT#2: Dfrag, and restart did not help. Still CTD when try to load save. Started another career to see if it worked and did

Flying_Ducthman
08-03-13, 01:46 AM
I seemed to have found the problem. I believe its a problem with the Merchant skin pack, I started a new career and was assigned a mission to sink merchants off Luzon. Had another "Fast single ship" contact. Honed it in on sonar and jumped to it in the external view. turns out it wasn't 1 ship but several ships of the same type(Old passenger carrier). Gonna reinstall the mod and see what that does.

Flying_Ducthman
08-05-13, 12:13 AM
reinstalling the mod and game didn't help. Started another career in '41 from Pearl with a porpoise, was assigned a patrol mission south of Tokyo. Hit up Midway to refuel while there large Jap bomber mission came in(march 21, 42) got a couple of Betties and continued onto the patrol area while in route got a Tanker and two Old Passenger ships(same ships as before) but didn't encounter a problem with them. Out of torps headed back to Midway to refit. Turned around and headed back to the islands just south of mainland Japan and the game CTD. I really want to know what the problem is. The mods I' running were all manually installed without JSGME and Running Steam 1.5 version with UBM on windows 7-

Authentic Flags
3d Interiors for all boats
Medals Fix for 1.5
Rusty Pigboat
Custom music added to "Washington" station

magic452
08-05-13, 01:10 AM
I haven't played a Steam game but some people have problems after they add mods. I would use JSGME if I were you.

You might try running the stock game and than add your mods one at a time and see if there may be an issue there.

I really don't see any problem with your mods list but one thing I would suggest is install CapnScurvy's game fix only mod, GFO. Fixes some of the glitches in the stock game.

That Old passenger carrier seems to be related to the problem. Is this a stock ship or one you added? You might try taking that one out of the game. Other than that I don't have much in the way of ideas. You seem to know your way around the files so taking out one ship should be easy.

Does it crash not long after you save? That may be an issue. Some people have problems with bad saves, some don't. Use a different name for each save. When I save I go to the Nav map and pause the game then save, I've never had any problems with saves.

Not much help I afraid but I just don't see anything else.

Magic

Flying_Ducthman
08-05-13, 08:48 AM
The Old Passenger Ship is a stock ship. It seems to only crash while on patrol, At one point from the first post I knocked down the graphics to the bare minimum to see if that was the problem and its wasn't. The last time it CTD I as in the middle of the ocean and not contacts reported, I did have the radio on the though. I will try and save under a different name while on patrol till I get back into port every time from now on.

CapnScurvy
08-05-13, 10:16 AM
One of various reasons you could be getting a CTD while playing is your computer doesn't have enough access to its memory to play the game. You haven't told us anything about your system except its using Windows 7.

I'll take a long shot and say if you have more than 2 gigs of ram memory, you need to use something like the "Large Address Aware" (http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556) fix.

The game uses a lot of resources, A LOT OF THEM. Graphics is the number one killer of using the ram your system provides. One ship isn't going to hurt your system too much, but getting into a convoy of rendered ships, the system is going to slow down. Unlike the days when the game was first released (March 2007), having additional ram memory is cheap, most computer systems are designed with more than two Gb of memory today. 2Gb was the normal maximum back in 2007. The game wasn't designed to look for additional ram (much like the game didn't expect the numerous types of resolutions/aspect ratios that are available today with the change from 4:3 analog monitors to 16:9 LCD monitors).

There are ways around getting more ram into play when using a modern system that has more ram than the game was designed for. If your system has more than 2 Gb of memory you'll need to tell this older game to "go ahead, use more ram, it's available". That's what this little program does, tells the game to use more ram since it's available on the newer computers of today.

Try it and see if it doesn't help. It helped me with a similar system using an older game called "Sid Meiers Railroads". Stopped the CTD's and game slowdowns.

When looking at your mod list, most of them use a lot more memory to display their images than the stock game expects. The "Authentic Flags", "3D Interiors", "Medals Fix for 1.5" (....I'll bet it not my U.S. Medals Fix II mod (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=597)) all use a lot more memory to display their images. If you don't have enough memory to run the mods, or the game keeps your system from accessing the additional memory you have available......you'll have CTD's.

Likewise, I applaud your effort to load your mods by hand, but you had better know what your doing when adding mods to your game like that!! Having a conflict when adding two of the same modified file is going to be easy to do!

========

I didn't make GFO.....that's Webster's.:D

Flying_Ducthman
08-05-13, 11:03 PM
My comp is a couple years old but can run most newer games just fine at full grahpics. It has an Intel Core duo, Radeon E8400 graphics card @ 3ghz, 4gbs of Ram. I did download the program you recommend and have linked it and haven't had any problems yet. The medal mod is by Latency. I will also give the GFO a try tomorrow.

magic452
08-06-13, 01:28 AM
My deep apologies to Webster. :oops::oops::oops:
I'll say 3 Hail Marys and only go out with a half load of torpedoes next patrol.

Magic

CapnScurvy
08-07-13, 03:57 PM
My comp is a couple years old but can run most newer games just fine at full graphics. It has an Intel Core duo, Radeon E8400 graphics card @ 3ghz, 4gbs of Ram. I did download the program you recommend and have linked it and haven't had any problems yet. The medal mod is by Latency. I will also give the GFO a try tomorrow.

The "newer games" you mentioned probably already have the switch set to access the larger memory your system has. Silent Hunter 4 doesn't have it. That's why the LAA is sometimes the answer to giving an older game the boost it needs to run on a system with additional memory (more than what was the norm when the game was first released).

Latency's mod is a "rip off" of my mod with higher resolution graphics (which means higher memory usage). As far as I remember, his mod doesn't rearrange the medals to be correctly given in the order they should.