PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Clean Sweep
07-29-13, 09:29 AM
Hello everyone!

For the longest time I've luked these forums. I had no computer to run any of the newest SH games. Last one I played was SHII years ago. Finally after purchasing a new laptop capable of playing SHIV, I purchased it from Steam and here I am!

I am an avid WWII buff and am privileged to live in New Orleans, where I frequent the WWII Museum. There's an attraction there called the USS Tang Experience. An interactive mock up of the Balao sub's control room, forward torpedo room, and con. Guests experience the final mission of the Tang, and there's nothing more scary than having the sub shake, likes flicker and smoke fill your compartment after being struck by the stray torpedo. Very entertaining and most of all educational.

Anyway I've been a huge fan of the Balao and Gato class submarines and sub warfare in general for as long as I can remember. I've been aboard the USS Drum and one day wish to visit the USS Pampanito.

I'm currently in a career with the Tang herself. On my second war patrol (need to update my battle flag!) I look forward to meeting you all and contributing to this community!

Gerald
07-29-13, 09:35 AM
:salute:

CapnScurvy
07-29-13, 10:43 AM
Welcome to Subsim Clean Sweep!!

The Tang Experience sounds like quite an "experience"!

Clean Sweep
07-29-13, 11:30 AM
It's an incredible experience! Each guest is assigned a duty station an recieves a duty station card. The card shows what your role is and who you emulate from the real crew. I forgot his name at the moment but I was a Lieutenant Junior Grade up in the con leading the fire control team, and was one of the survivors.

The experience starts with the Tang at periscope depth, surfaces to engage the enemy merchant ships. The 24th torpedo launches and curves around. When it strikes the entire sim begins to shake and rattle. The lights flicker and compressed moister is pumped out to simulate flooding. You try to control it but then as more smoke fills the lights (which were rigged for red) go out completely and you're left in the dark as you hear the bulkheads collapse above you... And then nothing but silence.

I cannot begin to fathom life on a real one of these. You truly had to be of a special nature to handle the demands of sub service. Even in modern times.

grislyatoms
07-29-13, 12:55 PM
Penciling in a trip to New Orleans a.s.a.p. That sounds like quite an experience!

Welcome aboard!:salute:

Admiral Halsey
07-29-13, 01:08 PM
Quick word of warning about the steam version of Silent Hunter 4. It's version 1.3 and you need version 1.5 in order to play any of the supermods.(Oh and welcome.)

Jimbuna
07-29-13, 01:40 PM
Welcome :sunny:

in_vino_vomitus
07-29-13, 03:02 PM
Welcome :)

Clean Sweep
07-29-13, 03:51 PM
Thank you all for the welcomes. And yes I highly recommend a trip to the WWII Museum. It's got something for all ages!

Sadly I've come to terms with having v1.3. I'm content sailing on my stock Balao sub. Am considering SH5 if anything for the virtual walk around if the entire sub. I always wanted that freedom in a sub game.

Bubblehead1980
07-29-13, 04:51 PM
Thank you all for the welcomes. And yes I highly recommend a trip to the WWII Museum. It's got something for all ages!

Sadly I've come to terms with having v1.3. I'm content sailing on my stock Balao sub. Am considering SH5 if anything for the virtual walk around if the entire sub. I always wanted that freedom in a sub game.

Why not just get V 1.5 in lieu of purchasing sH 5. With the mods like TMO and RSRD, SH 4 is a great PTO sub sim. Definitely missing out, stock is just crap without the mods, to be frank.Worth a try, go for it, assure that wont regret it.:salute:

grislyatoms
07-29-13, 06:10 PM
Ditto what Bubblehead said. 1.5 with select mods is to stock as a Ferrari is to a skateboard.:D

fireftr18
07-29-13, 09:33 PM
Welcome aboard, Clean Sweep! :salute:

Always good to have someone new on here to pick on, err, I mean guide and encourage. :oops:

Since you have such a love for Balao's, then you need to get your pink primer out and start repainting your boat. Then you need to rename her. Sea Tiger sounds like a good name. :D

Like everyone else said, you need to upgrade to 1.5, also known as the U-boat add-on. There are lot of bugs in early versions of the game and it fixes a lot of them. Also the best mega-mods are all written for 1.5. :yeah:

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we are all happy to offer advice.

TorpX
07-30-13, 12:02 AM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

I'll go along with the others and say that the v1.5 is most certainly a worthwhile improvement; much better than stock.

Azgrim
07-30-13, 01:14 AM
Welcome!
I've joined this community just a week before, and already found out, that it's a right place for those, who like submarines and everything about them.:subsim:

So, you're just in the right place! Nice to meet you.:salute:

By the way, I love my Balao too, and I've already decided not to give her away for new Tench.:oops:

BTW, I've never been to the USA, but now I know, where to start from - New Orleans! :)
And I too suggest to install 1.5 update, and some mods like Trigger Maru Overhauled. The majority of people here use them.

Clean Sweep
07-30-13, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all the hearty welcomes! I'll definitely look into getting a physical copy of SH4 so that I can get to 1.5 and the mods! *Dashes to Amazon!*

One quick question, how might I change my avatar?

Many thanks.

fireftr18
07-30-13, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all the hearty welcomes! I'll definitely look into getting a physical copy of SH4 so that I can get to 1.5 and the mods! *Dashes to Amazon!*

One quick question, how might I change my avatar?

Many thanks.

Your avatar will change as you post more and your rank changes. If you donate, Steve will let you change it yourself.

WernherVonTrapp
07-31-13, 03:55 PM
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/archangel501/Smileys/9841d688.gifhttp://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/archangel501/Smileys/387a264a.gifhttp://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/archangel501/Smileys/ffe4117e.gif