PDA

View Full Version : SHIV Steam version headache..

DrewC
07-28-13, 04:31 PM
Hey does anyone know how to completely wipe SHIV off my computer? The reason being is that I seem to have corrupted the game data. I tried to install TMO to the game through JSGME. BTW this was a clean, fresh install of the game. Anyway, the mod would get about halfway through the enabling process on JSGME before it froze and became unresponsive. I tried multiple times to get it through to no avail. So now when I start up the game I get the Trigger Maru loading screen before the main menu, but when I start the actual game play, it seems to be stock vanilla.. However, the game usually crashes before I ever get to that point. I deleted my the game off of steam and re installed, but I still get the TMO loading screen, and the game is all out of whack-even though it appears that the game data is completely stock. Any ideas how I can completely swipe it form my hard drive so I can do a real fresh install? Any help would be appreciated.

CapnScurvy
07-29-13, 10:34 AM
I don't use Steam so I'm not talking from experience BUT, from many who have, Steam may have given you a version 1.3 of the game. There have been reports that many gamers buying from Steam have had this happen. If so, a current TMO 2.5 mod will not work properly with a version 1.3 of SH4. The current, most up to date version of SH4 is v1.5 (your main game menu page will show the version of the game in the lower right corner of the page). TMO 2.5 only works with a v1.5 of the game. Version 1.5 only comes with purchasing the Gold Edition of the game, or what's known as the U-Boat Missions Add-on.

To have a complete reinstall of the game follow the instructions found HERE (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133290). Yes, their extensive, but print off the instructions and follow the steps.

If you know for sure the version of the game from Steam is v1.3......don't bother to use it. Buy a true disk copy of the game from someplace like iNetVideo (http://www.inetvideo.com/products/silent-hunter-iv-wolves-of-the-pacific-gold-edition). The games only $8.99 plus shipping.....got mine in 3 days.

A couple of pointer's about AVGWarhawk's instructions:

Making the Restore Point isn't entirely necessary.....as long as you don't screw up when doing the Registry deleting. Depends on how familiar you are with making a restore point in Windows. If you do it regularly, then help yourself. If its the first time you have, and don't feel comfortable with it, then let your conscious be your guide.

Deleting the "My Documents/SH4" folder is important. The folder is made every time the game is started. Keeping an old "SH4" folder should be the last thing you would do when trying to reinstall a fresh copy of the game. The "SH4" folder (don't get it confused with the main game folder called "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific".....their not the same) does not automatically get deleted with the wizard, you need to delete it yourself.

As far as AVG's advice about saving the JSGME "MODS" folder, and the various mods/additions you've made to the game like "Sound\Gramaphone files/music, etc."......Forget-about-it. If your game is running screwy, the last thing you want to keep is a possible corrupt mod that you've added that will do the same with a fresh install. Download all new mods as the urge hits you.

He says....."Some people also recommend copying over (backing up) the Saved Game files from the Documents\SH4\ folder and attempt to put them back into the final Re-Installed Game". Don't do it! You don't want to run an older saved game point on a new install. Make new memories, not replaying old ones.

Follow his instructions for clearing out the Registry.....I agree with it all.

The rest of the instructions are pretty much OK, except for his instructions of needing to add the 1.4 patch to a version 1.0 game. If you buy a Gold Edition of the game, version 1.5 is already included.....no need to add another patch.

When adding a new JSGME to the game, make sure you follow his advice about making a "Snapshot" of your new freshly installed game files. You'll need it to "Compare the Snapshot" to a future time when things go haywire again (and they will if you add/subtract mods to the game). The Snapshot Comparison will tell you what main game files have been altered by a mod that didn't get removed through JSGME. The "Generic Mod Enabler" is good, but even its creators know things can get screwed up with mods.....that's why the "Snapshot" feature is offered in the "Tasks...." menu of JSGME.

SilentPrey
07-29-13, 11:13 AM
I have 1.5 via Steam. If you haven't deleted everything already, just delete the folder in My Documents and then right click on the title in Steam. Click Properties, the Local Files tab, and then Verify Integrity of Game Cache. That makes sure that all the files that are part of the game are back to the original. If that doesn't work you may end up having to do the registry stuff but that's worked every time I've needed it to.

DrewC
07-31-13, 08:12 PM
Wow guys thanks for the replies. But yea thanks to yall's advice I seem to have everything in running order now. Steam can give me some headaches sometimes but I guess thats the price to pay for the convenience and great deals I get out of it. Again, thanks!:up: