PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into SHIV

Scurvy
06-30-13, 05:34 PM
I'm going to buy the "Gold Edition", 1.5 version. Is it OK to buy it from Steam or will I need the actual discs to get the mods here to work properly?

TorpX
06-30-13, 08:28 PM
I would try to get it on disc, if I were you. Some people do ok with Steam, but some report problems. However, in the interest of full disclosure, I've never used Steam. I like to have things on disc.

Stealhead
06-30-13, 09:47 PM
I am willing to bet that Steam issues are caused when Steam and therefore any game acquired from Steam is located in the "program files" folder always always always put games into a separate folder it can be your main drive that is fine but not in "program files".

Hard copy or digital it really makes no difference it is the exact same data.What matters with a Vista,Windows 7 or 8 machine is where you place those files.If inside "Program files" you will have problems especially when modding.Jut make a file in your main drive and call it "games" or "SH4" if you have a hard copy.If you have Steam uninstall it and reinstall manually into a folder you have crated (outside of program files) name it "Steam" for ease.

I happen to have SH4 Gold edition from a disc but I also have many Steam games and on my PC Steam is installed in its own folder and not associated with the "Program files" folder I have never had any serious problems with Steam games or modding them.My SH4 as well it has its very own folder on my main drive.

Scurvy
07-18-13, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys.

I have my copy of SHIV Gold installed and RFB 2.0 (and the patch) downloaded.

I know I've got to be in harbor to install the mod but I haven't even started the sim yet. Will I have to run it and save it in-harbor and then install the mod or can I do it now?

Thanks again.

TorpX
07-18-13, 09:42 PM
I would play a session of the game, in stock condition, just to make sure it works, then install your mods, and start a career. Don't try to use an old career; it won't work.

Good luck! :subsim:

Scurvy
07-20-13, 09:36 PM
Thanks. I've got the mod working now...kinda.

I ran across some fishing boats south of Japan. When I decided to sink them with my deck gun, it's unavailable. Same with AA. Actually, they're not on the boat at all but I have crew who are manning them.

Any ideas?

TorpX
07-20-13, 10:55 PM
Do you mean that there is no deck gun on your boat?

What class of boat do you have?

Did you change the position of the deck gun?

Did you start a new career, in port?

Scurvy
07-21-13, 07:30 PM
Do you mean that there is no deck gun on your boat?

What class of boat do you have?

Did you change the position of the deck gun?

Did you start a new career, in port?

1. Apparently there is no deck gun mounted on the boat:

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/5006/exxx.jpg

...even though:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9423/1v4d.jpg

I do have crewmembers manning both the deck gun and AA gun but when I try to man it myself, it does nothing. When I'm on the deck and have the crew man the deck gun, I pressed the spacebar and got a message "no deck gun available" or something to that effect.

2. Gato

3. No

4. First thing I did was started a new career and saved it at the "office". Then, I installed RFB 2.0 and the RFB 2.0 patch and continued that career. Should I have dumped it and started a new one?

Another thing, I used JSGME Mod Validator to make sure everything was OK and I got this:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8044/8b1m.jpg

That list of conflicts is really long...this is just a small sample.

So, is that alright or should I remove the patch?

Thanks again.

EDIT:

OK, I just started a new career with the same year and boat and I now have both a workable deck gun and AA gun.

My only question now is about the JSGME Validator saying the patch is conflicting with the mod. I'm inclined to think that it's OK and to ignore the validator.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks again, TorpX.

TorpX
07-22-13, 02:19 AM
First thing I did was started a new career and saved it at the "office". Then, I installed RFB 2.0 and the RFB 2.0 patch and continued that career. Should I have dumped it and started a new one?

Yes, a mega-mod like RFB changes many elements of the game and will be sure to mess up any pre-existing career/save.

Anyway, good that you fixed it. :salute: