PDA

View Full Version : Couple of silent hunter 4 questions

govmentcheez420
05-27-13, 12:47 AM
Hello subsim community I recently purchased silent hunter 4 gold and have been playin the vanilla version of the game for a couple of weeks. I also play silent hunter 3 modded. I just have a couple of questions.

1. Which mods/mega mods are a must have for silent hunter 4?

2. I've heard about a mod called the surface warfare super mod for sh4, is this mod available, in development, dead, from what I've read about it, it seems like a whole new way to play sh4.

Thanks for any help or info and happy hunting.

Luno
05-27-13, 02:28 AM
The main mods that I am aware of are Trigger Maru Overhauled and Real Fleet Boat. They both aim for improved realism, but do so with different methods.

Run Silent, Run Deep Campaign improves the stock campaign layers and can be used in conjunction with the above mods.

Operation Monsun expands the U-boat campaign, but I have yet to try it.

Game-Fixes-Only does what it implies.

I can't help you on point two. Good luck! :woot:

govmentcheez420
05-27-13, 03:19 AM
thanks for the info luno, all the mods you've listed sounds interesting, especially any mod that adds to realism

Armistead
05-27-13, 10:12 AM
Realism, in this game anyway, is better defined by difficulty. RFB has a more historic game model, TMO is more difficult.

Red October1984
05-27-13, 11:16 AM
TMO, RSRDC, and Traveller's Mod is my preferred setup.

TMO is great because it makes you think like a real captain would.

RSRDC redoes the campaign completely. It's really nice.

TM updates lots of stuff including Damage Models, repair operations, etc.

I don't use much else. I've got some little mods installed....but this is the basic setup that I like.

Father Goose
05-27-13, 11:18 AM
My sig below will show you the mods I play and the order I install them (left to right). It's a good combination for you to explore. The OTC needs to be matched up with your screen resolution and monitor size. You may want to check the mods out one at a time to see their effects. Good luck. :up:

I have no experience with the surface warfare mod you mentioned.

Webster
05-27-13, 11:20 AM
try my GFO mod first, its the stock game but with many added fixes so the game works so much better plus there is a little extra small tweaks plus extra added content to improve on some things but its not altering the stock "feel" of the game.

play that for a few weeks and if you still need more then try TMO, FOTRS, or RFB mods and for the german side there is OM

once you get into the game for a while, most people will want to personalize it with lots of little single mods or make your own and each one has its own compatibility issues depending on the other mods you use. its best to wait until you know the game well enough to be able to tell when things aren't working correctly since ctd is not the only side effects of mod issues.

govmentcheez420
05-27-13, 11:52 AM
Thanks again for even more info.

@red october Sorry I'm not familiar with some of the abbreviations for the mods, u mentioned "TM updates lots of stuff including Damage Models, repair operations, etc." Is TM a different mod that the TMO one.

@webster I like your idea and think I will try your mod first before I try some of the others that have been posted on this thread.

Red October1984
05-27-13, 04:17 PM
Thanks again for even more info.

@red october Sorry I'm not familiar with some of the abbreviations for the mods, u mentioned "TM updates lots of stuff including Damage Models, repair operations, etc." Is TM a different mod that the TMO one.

TMO-Trigger Maru Overhauled. This mod redoes a lot of the game and makes it harder for a more realistic feel.

RSRDC-Run Silent Run Deep Campaign Mod. This mod completely redoes the campaign. It's great!

TM-Traveller's Mod Pack. This mod updates a lot of the little things and upgrades A.I. and some other things.

THEBERBSTER
05-28-13, 11:42 AM
Hi Govmentcheez420
I have only recently started playing SH4 and Webster has been a big help I am using the following mods while I find my feet and get used to setting up the TDC etc
Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1
New Orders Bar Menu
Webster's Better Mouse Arrow v2
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton for v1.4 and v1.5
Webster's No Crew Fatigue for v1.4 and v1.5
Webster's Upgraded Deck Gun v2
Webster's Improved US Torpedo v2
Bigger Better Protractors
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x
Good hunting Peter

Father Goose
05-28-13, 01:18 PM
Berbster, I see you're using that "top secret" invisible ink. You may want to tell the War Department we can still barely read it. :D

govmentcheez420
05-28-13, 01:38 PM
Thank you @theberbster i like your mod list and think I'll give it a try.

@Father Goose I like your mod list too and will probably delve into the TMO mod and RSRD campaign after I give the GFO mod a try.

Again thanks for all the info and any further info.
The Subsim community is the most helpful community on the web :subsim:

CptLoonee
05-28-13, 02:31 PM
I use TMO and RSRD exclusively, and really like the new Traveller's Mod, but the only drawback to the latter is that it is not compatible with the Nautilus-class sub mod which I love too much to give up.

Luckily, JGSME allows you to add and remove mods easily, so I use Traveller's for my non-Nautilus campaign and stick with TMO+RSRD only for my Nautilus campaign.

Webster
05-28-13, 05:48 PM
Berbster, I see you're using that "top secret" invisible ink. You may want to tell the War Department we can still barely read it. :D

lol, some people use different skins for the website so in the other skins black stands out but not on the default black skin.

if anyone missed this feature look to the bottom of the page on the left

the default is called SUBSIM SmartDark

for those who like the default color then click and drag the mouse over the black print to make it readable

THEBERBSTER
05-29-13, 05:56 AM
Hi Father Goose
Sorry about that. I copied to and pasted from Microsoft Word. I will try another tactic next time.
Best wishes Peter

Father Goose
05-29-13, 09:11 AM
No need to apologize Peter. Just kidding you. :-j
I realized different folks use various forum skins but thought most used the default.

THEBERBSTER
06-05-13, 09:50 AM
Hi Father Goose
I forgot to mention I also use MAGNIFIED HUD DIALS for v1.5 available in LARGE or MEDIUM versions. An absolute must for those of us who do not have 20/20 vision.
Best wishes Peter

Gryffon300
06-17-13, 05:27 AM
My sig below will show you the mods I play and the order I install them (left to right). It's a good combination for you to explore. The OTC needs to be matched up with your screen resolution and monitor size. You may want to check the mods out one at a time to see their effects. Good luck. :up:

I have no experience with the surface warfare mod you mentioned.

Hi, FG, your signature seems to be missing (not under your profile either), so your mods list is MIA. Can you update or advise in another way?

Thanks
G :06:

TorpX
06-17-13, 10:43 PM
Hi Father Goose
I forgot to mention I also use MAGNIFIED HUD DIALS for v1.5 available in LARGE or MEDIUM versions. An absolute must for those of us who do not have 20/20 vision.

I didn't know that there were two versions. Maybe I should try the large version.