PDA

View Full Version : time comression???

johnlax
09-15-12, 10:23 PM
Guys I have SHIV ver 1.5 with T.M.O mod I have crashed and killed my boat on reefs or tiny islands on many mission now any tips on how I can avoid this very deadly results I alway steam home to Midway or Pearl at max compression and have hit the rocks I notice that sometimes it slows to 4x but other times no notice or slow down mission fails can I save often and retive a game if this happens?????

razark
09-15-12, 10:39 PM
Guys, I have SHIV ver 1.5 with T.M.O mod. I have crashed and killed my boat on reefs or tiny islands on many mission now. any tips on how I can avoid this very deadly results? I alway steam home to Midway or Pearl at max compression and have hit the rocks. I notice that sometimes it slows to 4x, but other times no notice or slow down. mission fails. can I save often and retive a game if this happens?????
Yes, you can save and reload. However, I find careful plotting of my course to be the most effective method.

And my gods man, punctuation! :/\\!!

Webster
09-17-12, 11:44 AM
the problem lies in not zooming all the way in on your plotted course, it may look clear when you plot but when you zoom in you see a dot appear or a shallow water area like a sand bar so you HAVE TO zoom in even out in the ocean so you dont drive over a reef or small island that doesnt show at distance map views

BigWalleye
09-17-12, 06:16 PM
Just one more thing your crew doesn't bother to do. You might try giving your Navigation Officer a very lousy fitness report, since that's something he is supposed to take care of.:)

Armistead
09-17-12, 07:38 PM
We've all done it a few times. Take Websters advice, magnify the map.
Sometimes if water is shallow near land, the game will slow, but often water isn't shallow enough, so bam.....

fireftr18
09-17-12, 09:48 PM
Just one more thing your crew doesn't bother to do. You might try giving your Navigation Officer a very lousy fitness report, since that's something he is supposed to take care of.:)
You can always just send him out to swab the deck.:huh:

Then submerge.:smug:

fithah4
09-22-12, 05:40 PM
Yeah getting to know your way around the pond is tricky at first, then after repeated missions and game play you learn the safe corridors and harbors passages. Though switching from different mods or even from 1.4 to 1.5 there will be some differences.
I usually do high compression and keep an eye out on the time left to destination and start slowing down the time compression, don't rely on the radar to kick in and slow down the compression for you.......BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!!! :o

Good luck out there! :up:

mdewals
10-03-12, 07:03 AM
Ha, was just thinking about asking a question about this. Had the same problem. Honestly, why can't the game just keep this in mind when plotting a course?? :/\\!!

[module plotting course]
IF plotted course crosses land
then
not possible
else
plot course
FI
[/module plotting course]

BigWalleye
10-03-12, 09:32 AM
Yeah, Harpoon did that maybe 20 years ago. IIRC, gave you the option to close the land, otherwise avoided it. Not really pushing the SOA.