PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up SH4

grottski
08-20-12, 06:00 PM
So after downloading and finding out my machine doesn't run SH5 as smooth as I would like it too (its a little older, GeForce 8600 512 mb card and the AMD 64 x 2 4200+ processor aren't quite up to snuff) I picked up SH4 from steam. Really excited to get started in SH4 as I haven't played a subsim since Aces of the Deep.

I'm gonna give the game a run stock for a while but I have already picked up Caustic's graphic upgrade and a nav map upgrade (im hoping its just the map, I will wait to install untill ive played for a bit though) just in case. Are there any other mods to keep an eye out for? I stumbled on some info about Run Silent, Run Deep, but would like to know more about it.

TY in advance! And great site and community btw :up:
Grottski

A Hidden Soul
08-20-12, 06:04 PM
TMO is a good one to use. I personally like using TMO and USS Ohio mod.

grottski
08-20-12, 06:48 PM
TY I may have to check that out, any other good mods I should look into?

A Hidden Soul
08-20-12, 07:47 PM
Depends what side you play. Pacific or German? Both have a lot of good mods.

You running 1.4 or 1.5?

grottski
08-20-12, 09:00 PM
I'm playing American to start, although I do plan on getting the U-Boat pack. Actually I think only 1.3? I downloaded it from steam and I have yet to update it... This could explain why the map mod I downloaded seems to crash on my career start....

Is it possible to just download v1.5? Or do I have to get all patches up to 1.5?

Sailor Steve
08-20-12, 10:04 PM
A new version should already be at 1.4. You have to purchase 1.5. I usually recommend just getting the disc version of SH4 Gold, which is 1.5 out of the box.

grottski
08-21-12, 12:37 AM
My download from steam is claiming its only 1.3:06:, how much does 1.5 cost?

*Edit: OK, so v1.5 is the U-Boat Expansion? If I have already purchased and downloaded the base game through Steam and wish to get v1.5, what is the best way to proceed? Or is v1.4 just v1.5 without the expansion? I plan on getting the expansion anyways but I am a little confused... Maybe just picking up a physical copy of gold would be best anyways (since they are the same price), time to do some research...

grottski
08-21-12, 01:02 AM
OK nevermind, I just found a new copy for $8 on Amazon, unfortunately its being shipped from the UK so it will take a while for it to get here, but I have the base game until then...

Shredd27
08-21-12, 02:47 AM
Well,. even if you had 1.4 the base game is quite quirky/buggy. I first got SH4 when it came out in 07' and was all excited to play an updated version of the very first original SH that ran on MS-DOS. Much to my disappointment, SH4 for me was almost unplayable and many things were very unrealistic so I lost interest. About a month ago I was looking thru my old pc games/sims and ran across SH4 again and since I love the subject matter I decided to give it a try. Knowing about this forum I came here looking to make SH4 the best experience it could be, and it paid off BIG! I learned how to install the mods for the version I have (1.4) and now SH4 is as enjoyable as I remember the original being,.. probably more so. The mods I have are TMO, ISE, Websters Better Air Patrols, Websters New Sounds and Nav Map Makeover. I LOVE this sim now! So do yourself a favor and get modded up,. you won't regret it. :rock:

BigWalleye
08-21-12, 06:51 AM
Wow! Shredd27, your experience is about identical to mine. Loved SH2. Jumped on SH4 when released. Too buggy, too much just Wrong. Tossed in in a drawer. Picked it up a month ago an' tried again. 1.5 still too buggy and Strange. Found this forum and all the excellent mods. Now a total fanboy. Play RFB with RSRDC and love it. All I ever wanted from from a new improved SH2.

Grottski, I urge you to try the mods. Using JSGME makes it easy. At least you should use Webster's Game Fixes Only mod with the stock game. (Mod does just what it says.) But TMO, RFB, or FOTRS will add hugely to the enjoyment. And RSRDC - which you can use with the stock game - actually puts you in the Pacific War.

Please don't judge this product by the stock Ubi-version. It can be way better than that.

BTW, all the more popular mods are based on v1.5, so you should get the upgrade. It may be hard to find mod versions for v1.4.

grottski
08-21-12, 08:12 AM
OK, cool, Thanks for all the input guys! I'm going to see if any work with 1.4, if not its easy to swap em out with jsgme. I already have the improved textures mod and I have to say "wow" a huge improvement, I tried the navmap mod but its seems to cause my game to crash whenever I'm near Pearl...

BigWalleye
08-21-12, 08:53 AM
You might try dialing back your graphics level. And keep an eye on your frame rate (ctrl-F8) when running time compressed and getting close to a base with a lot of ships present. If the frame rate starts to sag, bail on the time compression and you may not CTD. Been there, done that.

Godspeed!

CapnScurvy
08-21-12, 09:46 AM
grottski, if you're running a 1.3 version you should defiantly upgrade to a 1.4 version. I've not downloaded from Steam but it's my belief there's something wrong with the download if you only get a 1.3 version from them. It's my opinion you should always have a physical disc to fall back on, in your case, getting only a 1.3 version from a download is like getting short changed at the checkout! There have been plenty of posts regarding a problem with the use of a mod, only to have it learned that the Steam version has some sort of quirk in it. If nothing else, the issue is related to the version that's downloaded.

1.4 is the latest patched version before the wisdom (and greed) of UbiSoft saw fit to charge us for the 5th (and last) patch. This also included adding the German side of play. Even if you never plan to play the German side, the 5th patch is still an improvement over the 1.4 version.

So, my advice to anyone who would like to play Silent Hunter 4 (either for the first time, or from just returning to a game that was pushed aside), get a disc copy of "SH4 Gold Edition" and reinstall the game. You'll get the 1.5 version, with a disc copy to back up any files that will go sour when you start modding your game (and yes, you will have issues from corrupt files if you do much modding).

As was pointed out earlier, there is the Amazon site from the UK that's selling the disc version of SH4 Gold Edition for $8. There's also this iNetVideo (http://www.inetvideo.com/catalog/product/view/id/53992/s/silent-hunter-iv-wolves-of-the-pacific-gold-edition-used-on-pc-at-inetvideo/) site that has it from 8.99. I believe the product is shipped from the U.S. I don't know how long this price or availability will hold out, but as of this writing the offer is still good.

grottski
08-21-12, 04:05 PM
TY again! I went ahead and ordered a Gold copy and it should be here in a week or two, no biggie, at least I have my digital copy until then. I am a little irritated with steam however... Its pretty lazy to sell a digital copy of the game without the most recent patch and in order for me to patch it I have to uninstall (and in the case with Steam, re-download) the game, so I may just try to run on v1.3 testing mods out here and there to see what works. If the mods don't work out I can always swap out with jsgme and if files get corrupted... well I have a physical copy comming so no biggie.

I have not played SH3 or any earlier ones but I have to say SH4 (and what i've played of SH5) are a nice departure from what I've been playing. Subsims have always been special to me, the first game I ever really got into was AoD for msdos (and I still have all those floppies :ping:), and even though SH4 has its flaws (from what I've heard, although I have noticed some inaccuracies already) I'm excited to be playing it :up: Perhaps I'll give SH3 a try when I'm done, the Grey Wolves mod sounds intriguing...

Speaking about mods what exactly are TMO, RSRD, FOTRS, and RFB and what do they do? I assume RFB is a realism mod?

TY in advance!

A Hidden Soul
08-21-12, 04:29 PM
Also, if you want to play a career using TMO with a modern submarine such as the LA 688i, Seawolf, or Ohio class. Just let me know and I'll send ya some links.

Webster
08-21-12, 07:10 PM
its a shame steam screwed you, they sell sh4 v1.4 and v1.5 at the same price but if you dont ask you dont get the new version.

at least you found a real copy on disk.

with your older system i would recommend you stay away from the german side, operation monsun is HUGELY computer intense and you need a good system to handle it.

not to worry, the german side is more of a side excursion the way the game was made so 95% of it is designed for the american side. thats why OM is so huge and hard to run, lurker had to basicly make his own game from scratch to do it.

after you get v1.5 installed load up GFO to fix most of the issues with the game then get used to it like that for a while. GFO is close to stock so after you are ready for more of a challenge then try TMO

by the way if you really do have the v1.3 game then the 1.4 patch can be downloaded from subsim right here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=8

note, before updating you should uninstall all mods or your game will be corrupted

grottski
08-23-12, 08:03 AM
Unfortunately v1.4 won't install because it cannot find the game. After doing some research I found out this seems to be a common problem with the steam version that most who play fix it by downloading the UBoat Expansion which will update the game straight to v1.5. 0. I have a physical copy comming so this is something I'm going to refrain from doing. After looking through many of the games files (title page of the game, readme, and details from the program itself) I have found that Steam is indeed offering the v1.3 version of the game through their download, which is odd because 90% of the time they are pretty good about including the most recent update... :-?

I would spread the word to avoid getting an SH from Steam, it seems like games from steam are impossible to update unless steam has an update for them. Also I'm finding its not exactly the most enjoyable to mod the game through steam.

Oh well, since I bought my physical copy out of the UK (and I live in a tiny in central Illinois) I'll be waiting a couple of weeks for it to get here (they only offered 1 shipping method). Oh well atleast I can still play the game until it arrives.

captgeo
08-23-12, 09:17 AM
When you get your game ,please read install instructions on this forum,do NOT let game load into default folder,make a new folder and call it SH4 or something,then you will not have huge prob's later.

grottski
08-23-12, 11:27 AM
When you get your game ,please read install instructions on this forum,do NOT let game load into default folder,make a new folder and call it SH4 or something,then you will not have huge prob's later.

TY for the heads up, yeah I will definitely look up the install intructions on this forum