PDA

View Full Version : Can't shoot straight

Dorjun Driver
08-11-12, 08:16 AM
I really want to like this POS-piece of software. The problem is it won’t shoot straight.

The setup: PK off with 0 gyro, outer doors open and my sub at periscope depth with no forward/after momentum. I let fly with my fish and they skitter off in directions that would make Fat Freddy’s cockroaches proud!

Am I missing something?
dorj

MaxOptics IV for SH4 1.5 mod
Win 7 64-bit pro w/8GB
AMD II x4 975
nVidia GTS 450 o/c 930x2075

Rockin Robbins
08-11-12, 08:40 AM
BLAME THE TINNIES!!!:D

Yes, you're missing something. The game works great and targeting is not broken. So you're stuck either straightening out your technique or blaming the tinnies. But first you'll have to drink some.....

There's not enough information in your post to tell what you are doing wrong so I'll just direct you to the Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=146795) thread where you can pick up on the Dick O'Kane technique with a link in the first post. That will bild a little confidence in you that you actually can hit targets and be dangerous. Once you understand how that works, you should branch out to other targeting techniques, including conventional WWII American Submarine targeting, which you are having so much trouble with now.

But you need to get it out of your head that the game is broken. It is not. Your technique is what is broken.

Dorjun Driver
08-11-12, 09:43 AM
The point Rockin? I daresay you***8217;ve missed it. I***8217;m setting up a solution to do trapshooting as per gutted***8217;s Solution Solver 1.3.3 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=156698), ie. determine the lead and shoot (no real target required).

Without changing anything in the torpedo setting panel, aft tube #5 sends a torpedo hither and aft tube #6 sends a torpedo yon. As a concrete example, #5 fish goes off on a bearing of 225 and #6 fish goes off on 135. As Bill O***8217;Reilly would say, ***8220;You can***8217;t explain that!***8221; Well, perhaps you can, but I can***8217;t.

dorj

edit: Who and or what are the TINNIES?

robbo180265
08-11-12, 09:56 AM
The point Rockin? I daresay you***8217;ve missed it. I***8217;m setting up a solution to do trapshooting as per gutted***8217;s Solution Solver 1.3.3 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=156698), ie. determine the lead and shoot (no real target required).

Without changing anything in the torpedo setting panel, aft tube #5 sends a torpedo hither and aft tube #6 sends a torpedo yon. As a concrete example, #5 fish goes off on a bearing of 225 and #6 fish goes off on 135. As Bill O***8217;Reilly would say, ***8220;You can***8217;t explain that!***8221; Well, perhaps you can, but I can***8217;t.

dorj

edit: Who and or what are the TINNIES?

Just a thought......Have you got duds enabled ? The reason I ask is because I was caught out like that for a while.

If you have enabled that setting then a dud will head all over the place (except of course where you are targeting)

Oh and tinnies are beers (to some of us Brits anyway) I believe it originated from the fosters adverts that were shown over here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74g4ZMftbLU

Edit because the link for the Fosters add looked like it was my sig. If you watch the advert you'll see Paul Hogan brainwashing Brits (honest)

Rockin Robbins
08-11-12, 12:06 PM
You do have a non-zero range input, don't you? That would have been okay in the real TDC but our digital one has a cow.

The point is that the "POS" game works fine.

Apparently the word "tinnie" means beer in a small part of the British Isles. The word is predominately used in Australia to mean something that just doesn't make the joke funny at all, so that one isn't it. I encountered the term in a post on a radio control aircraft group where the poster gave a list of possible causes of a serious plane cratering and included "tinnies" in his list.

This Yank spent an hour chasing the term before figuring out what it meant. I'm getting some return on my investment!

By the way, sometimes the ingestion of tinnies is appropriate and sometimes it is not. As a service to the fine people over at RC Groups I made a flowchart so people can quickly determine whether a tinnie or three would be appropriate. Please substitute "Torpedoes Away!" for "Go fly" and "Target Sunk?" for "Plane in one piece" for use in manual targeting.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/TinniesFlowchart.jpg

And please be careful to follow the chart as amended above exactly. Inappropriate consumption of tinnies can result in bizarre torpedo misses.

fireftr18
08-11-12, 02:22 PM
I like the flow chart. I'll be sure to follow it exactly.:Kaleun_Cheers:

Rockin Robbins
08-11-12, 02:48 PM
And a flow chart is SO appropriate for a situation such as this.:O:

robbo180265
08-11-12, 03:30 PM
Good flow chart :)

Dorjun Driver
08-11-12, 04:49 PM
Well that just about explains everything. It's a bit early in the day for beer, is it OK to substitute rum?:Kaleun_Party:
x-cruzan

Rockin Robbins
08-11-12, 06:47 PM
Arrrrrrr! Feel free, cap'n. It's your boat!:salute:

TorpX
08-12-12, 12:37 AM
I like the flow chart. I'll be sure to follow it exactly.:Kaleun_Cheers:

I like it too. Now we just need a version with Rum, for when we have computer, um, *situations*.

Rockin Robbins
08-12-12, 01:02 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/RumFlowchart.jpg

rebel 411
08-12-12, 01:17 PM
love the flow chart it works for me:)

Rockin Robbins
08-12-12, 01:33 PM
How do you know? Have you tested it? That could be an anomalous result you know. The only way to know for sure is further testing. This is war. Great commitment is called for.:()1:

And please use great care in using the chart to only ingest rum when it is appropriate. Inappropriate ingestion of rum can result in child support payments.

fireftr18
08-12-12, 04:01 PM
Now we have two charts. That is way too confusing.:hmmm:

I think I'll go off the chart and have a few tinnies, or rum, or bourbon.:()1:

Hylander_1314
08-12-12, 07:29 PM
Kentucky windage sounds good to me! Beam White Label!

fireftr18
08-12-12, 07:52 PM
Kentucky windage sounds good to me! Beam White Label!

You can join me then, or I'll join you.:()1:

Hylander_1314
08-12-12, 10:01 PM
Here's to good hunting! A double shot over the line! Woo hoo that goes down good!

Don't have to worry about a DUI on a Sargo boat!

Dorjun Driver
08-12-12, 10:39 PM
Y'all are a bunch of sick puppies. You do know that, right? hic...

TorpX
08-14-12, 01:16 AM
He He, I think RR just made this game 100 proof more popular.... I mean 100% more popular.... :()1::arrgh!:

Denis4510
08-19-12, 08:33 PM
:hijacked:Being an Orstralian :haha:, I know what tinnies are but I respect greatly the second flow chart showing RUM. As a typical Aussie, I like a cold beer on a hot day but also being an ex-Musician I am a great fan of that evil concoction called Bundaberg Rum in only its original form - that being "as rough as guts". The OP version is not bad either but it sneaks up on you. The only problem is that they reduced the size of the bottle from 750ml to 700ml some time ago.

http://bdcbondstore.bundabergrum.com.au/eCommImages/1/0010000000177.jpg:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

Bundaberg is a town in Queensland Australia.

All they had in Vietnam was Barcardi :down: for 10 cents MPC. It was cheaper than a tinnie which cost 15 cents MPC.

EDIT: I can't hit anything either.

Beardmoresam
08-20-12, 04:28 AM
What's the range and AoB set to? On my set up (TMO and some other mods), the range defaults to about 200yrds and so if don't change that, my torps go all over the place... I learned that the hard way... the destroyers up top weren't too fussed though.