PDA

View Full Version : Who is this?

Armistead
08-03-12, 10:14 AM
Fairly obvious to me...

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/SH4Img2012-07-28_175258_515.jpg

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/13-23.jpg

fireftr18
08-03-12, 12:32 PM
I give up. My wife and I both tried. We were thinking an actor in a war movie.:hmmm:

Armistead
08-03-12, 01:30 PM
Doesn't act per say
Alive today
Tall, well built...{no, I'm not gay}
Not from the USA, but often works here.

Look at the face, can't you see it......:yep:

Bet SS nails it first try.......

merc4ulfate
08-03-12, 04:06 PM
Neil?

Sailor Steve
08-03-12, 04:07 PM
Neil?
Neil who? Young? Armstrong?

Or did you mean Neal Stevens?

merc4ulfate
08-03-12, 04:08 PM
well yeah Stevens who else ... I mean come on isnt it a given I would mean Stevens?? LOL

Sure as hell isnt Vince Neil:har:

merc4ulfate
08-03-12, 04:09 PM
I remember Neil back when I used to Multiplayer 688 ... those were fun missions

Armistead
08-03-12, 04:20 PM
OK, since SS can't get it, I'll post a pic in my original so you can compare, tell me it's not him....

fireftr18
08-03-12, 05:02 PM
So who is he? I don't recognize him nor do I know the name.

merc4ulfate
08-03-12, 07:35 PM
Carlos the Jackal?

fireftr18
08-03-12, 07:40 PM
Carlos the Jackel?

That's a name I recognize:gulp:

Armistead
08-03-12, 08:15 PM
Think boxing.....

Sailor Steve
08-04-12, 12:02 AM
well yeah Stevens who else ... I mean come on isnt it a given I would mean Stevens?? LOL

Sure as hell isnt Vince Neil:har:
You seem to have missed the point entirely, which is that Neal hates it when people call him Neil.

Qitbuqa
08-04-12, 12:36 AM
It's Wladimir Klitschko obviously.

Sailor Steve
08-04-12, 12:41 AM
Bet SS nails it first try.......

OK, since SS can't get it, I'll post a pic in my original so you can compare, tell me it's not him....
Even with the photo I have no clue.

And it's per SE! Doesn't anyone read Latin anymore? :O:

Hylander_1314
08-04-12, 05:32 AM
Don't follow boxing anymore. Last good boxer I remember right off the top, is fellow Detroiter, Tommy Hearns.

So who is the guy in the picture?

u crank
08-04-12, 05:38 AM

It's Wladimir Klitschko obviously.

:up:

John Channing
08-04-12, 08:27 AM
And it's per SE! Doesn't anyone read Latin anymore? :O:

Post hoc ergo propter hoc!

:D

JCC

Sailor Steve
08-04-12, 08:45 AM
:rotfl2:

Tua fallacia est ostendens.

u crank
08-04-12, 08:47 AM
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

:O:

Sailor Steve
08-04-12, 09:08 AM
:rotfl2: :rock:

You, you...LINGUIST, you! Linguism is the worst 'ism' there is!

Armistead
08-04-12, 09:37 AM
Don't follow boxing anymore. Last good boxer I remember right off the top, is fellow Detroiter, Tommy Hearns.

Yea, I was a Duran fan, they had some good fights.

Hylander_1314
08-04-12, 09:50 AM
Yeah they did! Duran, Hearns, and I can't think of his name, but another fellow I think from South America. All good in the fight ring, and very good at their craft.

Used to like Golden Gloves too. 3 rounds and it's done. Those guys came outta the gates on fire!

u crank
08-04-12, 09:59 AM
You, you...LINGUIST, you! Linguism is the worst 'ism' there is!

Ignoscere 'ism'. :D

Armistead
08-04-12, 10:14 AM
Yeah they did! Duran, Hearns, and I can't think of his name, but another fellow I think from South America. All good in the fight ring, and very good at their craft.

Used to like Golden Gloves too. 3 rounds and it's done. Those guys came outta the gates on fire!

Maybe Boza....

I boxed most of my teens through my 20's, several boxers visited us from time to time at the city club. I actually did a round with Duran, course he played, geesh could he hit hard.

Hylander_1314
08-04-12, 10:53 AM
Yeah, they said the same thing about Hearns. I'll never forget the fight he had with Sugar Ray, and the first connect he had, wasn't even his most powerful, and it sent Ray half way round the ring with a very suprized look on his face!

I think he broke his hand in the fight, and couldn't do what he was potentially capable of, and lost it in the end. But Hearns wasn't a duration fight, as most of his fights were over in the first 3 rounds.

That must have been cool to mix it up with Duran! Not every day you get that opportunity! Did he offer any advice or tips?

WernherVonTrapp
08-04-12, 01:09 PM
Hmmmmm:hmm2:, now you guys have me wondering how many of the ol' time boxers I can remember. I haven't been a sports fan (of any kind) in the last 10 years or so, but in the 70s & 80s, I even went to see professional tennis matches every year at Flushing Meadows, NY (the U.S. Open).

Now, let's see how many boxers I can remember:

Roberto "Stone Hands" Duran
Tommy "The Hit Man" Hearns
"Sugar" Ray Leonard
Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini
Sean O'Grady
Barry McGuigan
"Rockin" Robin Blake
Christy Elliott
Alexis Arguello
Hector Camacho
"Marvelous" Marvin Hagler
Julio Cesar Chavez
Tony "The Tiger" Baltazar
Wilfred Benitez
Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker
Marlon Starling
Edwin Rosario
Pinklon Thomas

Anyway, these are the ones I remember the most. It took me quite some time to recall/remember these names. I liked Heavyweights, but the real action was in the lighter weight categories.

Armistead
08-04-12, 01:42 PM
Yeah, they said the same thing about Hearns. I'll never forget the fight he had with Sugar Ray, and the first connect he had, wasn't even his most powerful, and it sent Ray half way round the ring with a very suprized look on his face!

I think he broke his hand in the fight, and couldn't do what he was potentially capable of, and lost it in the end. But Hearns wasn't a duration fight, as most of his fights were over in the first 3 rounds.

That must have been cool to mix it up with Duran! Not every day you get that opportunity! Did he offer any advice or tips?

Not really, he came by for a quick visit, some photo's. I think he did about 6 rounds with different people, in and out. What was funny we saved our best for last, small guy, golden glove champ....he actually gave Duran a fit for the one round, you could tell Duran got serious, moreso when he got clocked a few times...Long time ago, Coach Al Lowe is dead now, but least they named it after him.

Hylander_1314
08-04-12, 05:27 PM
Ah well, at least you have the memory of having done it!

aanker
08-04-12, 06:57 PM
Looks like one of the Klitschko brothers, not Neal :)

Happy Hunting!

I'm goin' down
08-04-12, 09:28 PM
One of the greatest lightweights in the history of boxing. Before the first Leonard fight, which he won, he had only one loss in over 60 fights, and that was a ten round non-title fight with Estaban de Jesus right after he dethroned Ken Buchannon for the lightweight title. Duran fought de Jesus twice after that, during de Jesus' prime, and he knocked him out both times.

Duran once knocked a horse down on a bet. He ended the career of one fighter, who was unconscious for an hour after Duran knocked him out. Duran said that man was lucky, and that if he had been hit with a clean shot, he would not have survived. Knockout power in both hands, and extremely skilled defensively. Terrific fighter.

Wikipedia:

regarded as one of the greatest boxers of all time. A versatile brawler in the ring, he was nicknamed "Manos de Piedra" ("Stone Fists," although the literal translation is "Hands of Stone") during his career.[1]

In 2002, he was chosen by The Ring to be the 5th greatest fighter of the last 80 years.[2] Bert Sugar rates him as the 8th greatest fighter of all-time and the Associated Press voted Duran as the #1 lightweight of the 20th century.[3] Many even consider him the greatest lightweight of all time. He held world titles at four different weights***8212;lightweight (1972***8211;79), welterweight (1980), light middleweight (1983***8211;84) and middleweight (1989). He was the second boxer to have fought a span of five decades, the first being Jack Johnson.

He finally retired in January 2002 at age 50 (having previously retired in 1998) following a bad car crash in October 2001, with a professional record of 119 fights, 103 wins with 70 KOs. Up until the second Ray Leonard fight, he was trained by legendary boxing trainer Ray Arcel.

Durán is one of the rare men in boxing history to win fights in 5 separate decades. He registered wins in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and the 2000s, putting him in the company of Jack Johnson, who had wins in the 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s and 1930s.

Sailor Steve
08-05-12, 12:06 AM
Now, let's see how many boxers I can remember:
I watched Johansson beat Patterson. I watched Patterson beat Johansson. I watched liston beat Patterson. I watched Clay beat Liston.

Then I got bored. I know Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard by name. Mike Tyson. A couple others I would recognize if I heard them. That's about it.

aanker
08-05-12, 10:25 AM
Thanks @I'm goin' down

I like boxing but am a novice and my favorite weight class is titled overseas.

(should mention Submarines) I bet there were some good bouts in the aft torpedo room!

Happy Hunting!

WernherVonTrapp
08-05-12, 11:38 AM
I watched Johansson beat Patterson. I watched Patterson beat Johansson. I watched liston beat Patterson. I watched Clay beat Liston.

Then I got bored. I know Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard by name. Mike Tyson. A couple others I would recognize if I heard them. That's about it.I forgot about Sugar Ray Robinson! I knew there was another Sugar Ray before "Leonard" but couldn't recall. I don't remember if I ever saw Liston fight:hmmm:, though remember the name Floyd Patterson. Yeah, I was a BIG boxing fan through the late 70s/80s, and then I just suddenly lost all interest.
Anyway, not many boxing fans will recall Christy Elliott. He was an up-and-coming boxer who was on the Irish Olympic team. I'm surprised that there is very little info about him on the web. It's been so many years that I can't remember, but I vaguely recall that he (very) briefly held some class of Champion title (maybe Bantamweight), but I honestly can't remember.

I knew him personally and was (briefly) very close friends with him back in the early 80s. His personal story, the one that I know, is very sad and tragic. BTW, I just found out (while searching the web) that he passed away in Jan., 2011.:nope:

merc4ulfate
08-05-12, 06:07 PM
@SS I did not see a point.

Sailor Steve
08-05-12, 07:17 PM
@SS I did not see a point.
The point was simply that you misspelled Neal's name. I was teasing a little, with what I thought was a gentle correction. Since you still don't seem to get it, I guess now there is no point. :sunny:

Armistead
08-05-12, 07:57 PM

Then I got bored. I know Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard by name. Mike Tyson. A couple others I would recognize if I heard them. That's about it.

You forgot to capitalize the L in the first Liston, just thought I would point it out.:O:

Three years I've been waiting for you to make a mistake.:har:

Sailor Steve
08-05-12, 08:35 PM
You're not very observant then. I make mistakes all the time. Frau Kaleun has mentioned it several times, and several others at least once each. :sunny: