PDA

View Full Version : Early SJ Radar

ejbeadles
07-12-12, 03:17 PM
Im having trouble figuring out the early SJ Radar. More exactly the A-Scope. The A-Scope is used to calculate range right? I line up the contact so I get a "spike". This version of radar is different than the others I have seen. In the others there is a "pointer" on the a-scope I can move with the mouse or with a wheel. This radar does not have those controls. It just has a scale along the bottom that I cannot figure out.

If I could figure out how to insert screenshots I would show it. Can someone help here I'm lost.

Thanks!!
Ed

donna52522
07-12-12, 05:47 PM
I am not sure if this is right, but that comes with the 3D TDC mod. I think with the stand alone mod it only works for the Gato, Balao, and Tench.

With TMO 2.2+ that has the 3D TDC mod incorporated in it, I think it only works with Tambor/Gar and upwards. But I don't think it works for the S-class, P-class, or Salmon/Sargo class.

Of course I am only going by memory so I may be wrong, as I haven't been in one of those boats for awhile with radar.

Edit: I just tried a late war TMO 2.5 Sargo with radar...it does not have the 3D TDC A-Scope set up. I doubt the S or P-class boats would either.

twm47099
07-12-12, 07:30 PM
If you are using stock, I'd recommend adding the Optical Targeting Correction mod. Along with its periscope fixes, it has made significant improvement to the radars and added very nice calibrated scales to the a-scope. There is still some estimation involved, but its accurate enough for setting deck gun range. You can find the info on OTC at the thread linked below.

Tom

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181172

Hylander_1314
07-12-12, 09:21 PM
Or the 3D TDC Mod as Donna suggested. It has the pointer you can move.

ejbeadles
07-13-12, 05:51 AM
Ok, thanks for the advice!

Is there a thread or tutorial for basic radar operation. I looked around but didnt find one. Thanks!

Ed

donna52522
07-13-12, 08:51 AM
Basic radar approach.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6kq4simwI0&feature=related

Very basic

twm47099
07-13-12, 09:45 AM
Or the 3D TDC Mod as Donna suggested. It has the pointer you can move.

I've tried to use that, but I must have a video card issue. I don't get any movable pointers. I have a few other problems that I think point to video card problems.

I've tried loading the TDC mod (the one that looks like an actual TDC and where you enter info directly on the dials.
The 'body' of the TDC shows up, but all the dials just show their black backgrounds.

I have the mod which adds the 3K yrd bearing indicator that moves with the sub on the chart. No matter which version I try, the range scaling is wrong - For the resolution I am using now, the 3K ring actually measures 1900 yrds (I made a chart of screen range vs actual range which works well enough.)

I have the OTC mod. But the OTC range input dial does not have its index line. I have to approximate it position when I enter ranges. Also the omnimeter inner scales don't line up with the 'groove' in the slide rule and their lower edges are covered by the slide rule frame.

I tried the small chronometer mod. The chronometer did not change size and was still the same large chron.

It's always an adventure.

I have a Radeon ADI 1500 card; if anyone could list some currently available video cards that would work well with SH4 v 1.5 on an XP computer, I'd appreciate it.

Tom

donna52522
07-13-12, 10:38 AM
I've tried loading the TDC mod (the one that looks like an actual TDC and where you enter info directly on the dials.
The 'body' of the TDC shows up, but all the dials just show their black backgrounds.

Tom

The stand alone 3D TDC will only work for Gato's, Balao's, and Tenchs I believe. It won't change anything for any other boat. It works for me in Stock, GFO, RFB, and TMO. TMO 2.2 and 2.5 already have the 3D TDC incorporated in the supermod itself.

I don't use OTC so can't help you there.

Never tried the smaller chronometer mod.

ejbeadles
07-13-12, 11:05 AM
After actually thinking a little bit I figured it out. The key to reading the range is the little thing on scope that says "x 100 yds" duh I'm an idiot :hmmm:

The best advice my father ever gave me :

1. "Ed, even if it's wrong, do SOMETHING"
2. " It's never against the rules to think"

Thanks for the help!

donna52522
07-13-12, 04:45 PM
As you can see in this picture, the 3D TDC has the range readout on the lower left of the radar unit, white numbers for where the range is set now, green for previous range readout. There is a White pointer (triangle) in the center of the scope...and where the cursor is placed is a movable wheel to dial in the range.

Not sure if we were all talking about the same thing, lol.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j408/donna577/SH4Img2012-01-28_154257_453.jpg

I'm goin' down
07-13-12, 09:47 PM
captain scurvy has a tutorial with the OTC mod that explains US and German radar. It is a good tutorial.

ejbeadles
07-13-12, 10:47 PM
Donna,

The example you posted is not the radar in my current boat. I'm in a salmon class with the first available radar.

If I could figure out how to insert a screenshot I would show you. :/\\!!

Hylander_1314
07-14-12, 12:24 AM
Any of the places like imageshack, or photobucket let you sign up for free. Upload your pics there, and then when you are here, just copy the link from that photo / picture, and paste it in you post.

When you submit the post, the image should automatically show up.

ejbeadles
07-14-12, 11:16 AM
Ok Thanks!