PDA

View Full Version : Refueling question

Majorlee
06-20-12, 10:55 PM
Hello, all. New to the forum and I would appreciate some help to this awesome game. I had the old game by SSI, SIlent Service, back in the 90's, but as computers progressed the old game would not run on more modern machines...even when working with compatibility tools. Anyhoo, i digress with TMI on myslef, so to the question:

It was early February, 1942 and I was south of Davao and running low on fuel. I tried to go to Davao, but even when I sailed right into a berth I was never prompted to refuel nor did I get any. I thought maybe it was taken over by the Japs and I didn;t know it? I reloaded the game and tried to head for Darwin. Darwin was being bombed like crazy, but I managed to slip in at night...again no fuel was given. I thought you could refuel at any freindly port? How is this done? Thanks, and Ipromise I am not usually this long winded.

TorpX
06-20-12, 11:45 PM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

Whenever you need help for a question about game problems of this sort, you should say what version of the game you are playing and what mods, if any, you are using.

Most here play version 1.5 with their choice of mods. With the version I play, I can refuel at any port with an anchor icon. As you get close, you should get a menu presenting options for refueling, or ending the patrol.

Majorlee
06-20-12, 11:53 PM
Thank you for the reply and advice. I am playing 1.4 stock. Perhaps I misunderstood the manual when it said you could refuel at any freindly or neutral port. I thought the anchor symbols on the map were where you could get both fuel and torpedoes, and you could get fuel pretty much anywhere. Perhaps I misunderstood the map.

Diopos
06-21-12, 12:52 AM
The official manual has nothing to do with the game!. Throw it away. NOW! :yep:. The "manual" is this forum, right here!

magic452
06-21-12, 02:55 AM
For refueling and torpedoes you need to go to a port with a anchor.
Your home port will have a tilted anchor and you can end a patrol there.

Welcome aboard mate. :salute:

Magic

Carthaginian
06-21-12, 02:59 AM
For refueling and torpedoes you need to go to a port with a anchor.
Your home port will have a tilted anchor and you can end a patrol there.

Welcome aboard mate. :salute:

Magic

And be sure to check you map- you might miss the fact that your homeport got moved during the Allied Retreat! Those radio messages can get lost in the shuffle sometimes.

PacificWolf
06-21-12, 04:02 AM
And remember when You refueling and refiting You need to "catch" one of the torpedoes from internal magazines and drag her to any tube, then click refit again, if You want "full house".
Its just a game issue but i think it will be helpful 4 You.

Hylander_1314
06-21-12, 06:18 AM
One thing about refueling / refitting, is it can cause an issue with getting upgrades like cut down control towers, and new classes of boats.

So try to use them sparingly. Which makes it tough when you are based at Pearl, and boats regularly used Midway, and later in the war, Guam, and other locations to top off the tanks to get back to base.

Littica Marek
06-21-12, 11:31 AM
And remember when You refueling and refiting You need to "catch" one of the torpedoes from internal magazines and drag her to any tube, then click refit again, if You want "full house".
Its just a game issue but i think it will be helpful 4 You.

Hehe yeah i have forgotten to do that a few times, almost always ill go sink a few ships and get down to around 3 Fish left THEN find a large convoy, was gutted once when i found an Oil Heavy Convoy with only 1 Mk 10 left in my little Pigboat.... i cried i really did.

Hylander_1314
06-21-12, 02:45 PM
I don't know how many times the SH4 Gods have done that to me! I think they are a sadistic lot!

Carthaginian
06-21-12, 02:55 PM
One thing about refueling / refitting, is it can cause an issue with getting upgrades like cut down control towers, and new classes of boats.

Really?
Howso?
Do tell, as if I ever decide leave my Sugar boat behind, I'm going to have to spend these 15,000 renown on SOMETHING.

Majorlee
06-21-12, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the great tips, mateys!!! S-35 is back on station, fueled and ready to take Japan down.

Rockin Robbins
06-21-12, 11:59 PM
Well in that S-Boat you're dead meat but I like your attitude! Remember: you're faster underwater than a fleet boat and for some reason your sugar boat seems more stealthy. Too bad you're not packing more torpedoes! Fight her right and you might just get to see that girl of yours again.

Sorry though they are, S-Boats have a way of stealing your heart and you get to love the cotton pickin' things!

Hylander_1314
06-22-12, 05:57 AM
Really?
Howso?
Do tell, as if I ever decide leave my Sugar boat behind, I'm going to have to spend these 15,000 renown on SOMETHING.

You don't use renown to pay for conning towers or newer boats that enter service to my knowledge.

I was running a campaign I think in the Asiatic, Fleet, but I have done the same from Pearl, and was lazy, so before ending a patrol, I would refuel and rearm, because it would automatically load the torpedoes I liked in the loadout instead of doing it after entering port.

Needless to say, I was in the middle of 1944 with an early war conning tower on a P-Class boat, and no offer to upgrade to a newer boat. But the first patrol I did not rearm, and refuel, I got a cut down tower, and 2 patrols later, I got offered a newer boat, a Balao if memory serves.

But it has been discussed here a few times in the past. It won't interfere with your accumulation of renown, it just has some kind of stock bug that no one has been able to overcome.

I think the discussion came up in one of the supermod threads, as some folks were not getting upgrades, or newer boats, so tests were done, and the evidence showed that if you opted to refuel / reload while at sea, upon retuning to base, you weren't offered or given any of the automatic upgrades the game does. But if you just ran your patrol, and returned to base without refueling / reloading, you would get regular improvements like cut down control towers, and newer boats when they entered service.

Carthaginian
06-22-12, 12:06 PM
Strange- I'm over 2 months overdue for the change in conning tower for my Sugar boat, then. I haven't refueled/rearmed at a tender in a long time- probably 3-4 patrols. I have been offered a new command several times and have turned it down... but I've never seen the updated tower or AA gun available for my boat.

Hylander_1314
06-22-12, 02:53 PM
Yes, that's one of the other oddities that happens. Sometimes it just doesn't want to give you the update relevent for your boat. Nothing more frustrating than going through the entire war with a pre-1941 CT, and armament of only one AA gun platform.

Those 40mm Bofars guns are great to use on sampans, and fishing boats.

Trying to figure out why I was given a Gato with an old style CT, when the mid-war version is already a standard fit on boats, and my Sargo had the cutdown CT when I finally traded it for a deeper running boat.

I may just have to go into the files and make the change manually.

Rockin Robbins
06-22-12, 03:16 PM
Yeah, that blind chimp just doesn't hit the target every time. Every time you end a patrol, you have a CHANCE at receiving an upgrade. It's like that letter you got in the mail that said "Just visit our dealership for a chance to win $50,000." Well,.you may have a chance, but you're not going to see $50,000.

The blind chimp isn't the most popular character in Silent Hunter 4.

Hylander_1314
06-22-12, 04:47 PM
Here's an older thread I found on the topic of refits.

How To Get Refits To Occur More Regularly:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134913&highlight=renown

Wish we could just use Metamusal to get the game to make them more regular.

Majorlee
06-22-12, 08:55 PM
I like the challenge of the pre-war boats. But my trusty S doesn't have much range. What happens if you run out of fuel/batteries when you are about 50 miles form your home port? Can you ask for a tug or will one be sent? I fear I may have underestimated my abilities at fuel conservation and may end up dry after four successful patrols in S-35.

Hylander_1314
06-22-12, 09:34 PM
There are a couple mods that send you a refueler I think, or transport you back to base. Something along those lines.

But just a heads up, watch the fuel guage. Mostly you have to leave the crew to their fate at sea.

Kongo Otto
06-23-12, 02:50 AM
No more fuel?
Make her sail, i say!! :D

http://www.offthemall.com/Military/ships/Sailing%20Submarine.jpg

While searching for the missing USS Conestoga (AT-54) southeast of Hawaii, the R-14 lost her powerplant. As repairs were unsuccessful, her crew rigged a jury sail, made of canvas battery deck covers, to the periscope and sailed her to Hilo. She arrived there on 15 May 1921, after five days under sail.

Littica Marek
06-23-12, 08:09 AM
Now that is an Epic Win right there!

johnlax
01-31-22, 08:21 AM
i have ver 1.4 is there a command for docking ( key)
i have been playing sh iii (enjoy that)
in SHIVi have selected refit and nothing happens
i assume in my version you can not stop at (non-home) port and recieve torps or repairs
do you ever get a refit and repair read out in terms of days required in port
i am learning this game and am having fun
how is my quickest way to get back home after hitting a convoy
i recently had a sussessful patrol but sailed to pearl by mistake( i forgot i started in brisbane. i was really fustrated that i could not dock
help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KaleunMarco
01-31-22, 10:49 AM
i have ver 1.4 is there a command for docking ( key)
i have been playing sh iii (enjoy that)
in SHIVi have selected refit and nothing happens
something DID happen. if you received the Refit screen and clicked on that button, you replenished your consumables: fuel, ammo, repairs(mostly), etc.
i assume in my version you can not stop at (non-home) port and recieve torps or repairs
do you ever get a refit and repair read out in terms of days required in port

you can always stop at a non-home port to replenish your consumables. however, there are certain, serious repairs that must be performed at your home base AFTER you end your patrol. for example, you are based in Manila at the beginning of the war. you begin your patrol and execute an attack and take damage as a result. you return to Manila and perform a Refit but some of the damaged equipment (torpedo tubes or shafts or props) are NOT repaired during the refit. for those repairs you must end your patrol to have them fixed.

secondly, SH4 does not consume time for a Refit during a patrol.

i am learning this game and am having fun
how is my quickest way to get back home after hitting a convoy
i recently had a sussessful patrol but sailed to pearl by mistake( i forgot i started in brisbane. i was really fustrated that i could not dock
help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as indicated earlier in the post, you can always stop at a non-home port to replenish your consumables. however, there are certain, serious repairs that must be performed at your home base AFTER you end your patrol.

i hope this helps.
:Kaleun_Salute: