PDA

View Full Version : want to love it but ???

jason8888
06-16-12, 08:37 AM
ok all I have installed in ways of mods is TMO all has been fine but I saved close by land and now save file is corrupt. Lesson learnt so whats the best place to save the game at and why does my game ctd sometimes when I try to use periscope or go to bridge ?

Soviet Creeper
06-16-12, 09:28 AM
Saving in open ocean with no ships or land around is your best bet. And CTDing when going to bridge or peri is quite common, try using the 4gb patch. Should fix the problem.

Edit : Apparently this is SH3 advice? meconfused.

Rockin Robbins
06-16-12, 09:48 AM
Why do people give SH3 advice in SH4? The game is rock steady. If you save in combat with a torpedo on the way to the target you'll reload fine. I've saved hundreds of times purposely against the legends of instability and not had a problem.

Where problems come in is when you change mod configuration and then try to load a save. Often that will immediately CTD you. Whenever you change mods, make sure you have ended your cruise in port. Then you will be fine to log in and start your next cruise.

And yes there is a very small chance of a random problem that will corrupt your save file, just as it can happen with Microsoft word. Always have a backup save. Save twice under two different save names and you'll never have a problem.

But save where and when you want without fear. SH4 does not have SH3's problems.

Hylander_1314
06-16-12, 10:05 AM
What RR said.

Although I don't make a practice of saving the game in combat, I do save within 50 NMs of port before the end of the trip and in the last 4 years, I have only had a couple saves get corrupted.

Where I have had issues, is modding things that shouldn't be modded while still on patrol. Impatience is my worst enemy sometimes.

But just follow what RR said about saving, and you should be fine.

One program I use, is the Large Address Aware program, that lets programs i.e., games use more than the standard 2 gigs of memory which can cause a crash.

But as long as I follow some simple rules about modding, my game runs rock solid.

As for saving, I will save from the last point of the patrol and then right before entering port, and keep them, but any previous saves, I delete, so it is only those 2 that show up, before ending. So if I go to the save game option from the office, it will show the 2 saves at sea, and the automatic save on EnteringBase1 I think is how it shows up.

Whether it's a good thing or not, or a better way to save, I don't know, but you know us seafarers! We're a superstitious bunch! Especially us fishermen! Even if it costs 40 bucks in gas to tow a fellow boater in, you would never take any compensation, as it is bad joojoo to do it.

Carthaginian
06-16-12, 12:49 PM
Though I am new to SH4, I will say that I save upon 1.) sighting a convoy, 2.) sighting a task force or 3.) doing something particularly silly, like raiding a harbor. I haven't had any problems except for a constantly repeating sound/crew voice- especially someone saying 'passing thermal layer.'

jason8888
06-16-12, 05:39 PM
thanks for the info guys

Hylander_1314
06-16-12, 06:13 PM
Though I am new to SH4, I will say that I save upon 1.) sighting a convoy, 2.) sighting a task force or 3.) doing something particularly silly, like raiding a harbor. I haven't had any problems except for a constantly repeating sound/crew voice- especially someone saying 'passing thermal layer.'

That one gets real annoying, and just happens from time to time.

Hylander_1314
06-16-12, 06:13 PM
You're welcome Jason.

donna52522
06-16-12, 06:40 PM
Hylaner 1314,

I believe banking was developed by the Knights Tutor, and was one of the reasons that Pope Innocent II had them eradicated....thereby giving us the Friday the 13th superstition.

Hylander_1314
06-16-12, 09:42 PM
Twas the goldsmiths.

doulos05
06-17-12, 12:24 AM

And if you've ever sustained damage, you'll get the exploding depth charge sound (actually it sounds more like the torpedo launch sound crossed with the depth charge sound) every launch. The boat rocks too like it just got hit. Kinda fun, but a little scary if you've saved mid-egress...

jason8888
06-17-12, 01:19 AM
And if you've ever sustained damage, you'll get the exploding depth charge sound (actually it sounds more like the torpedo launch sound crossed with the depth charge sound) every launch. The boat rocks too like it just got hit. Kinda fun, but a little scary if you've saved mid-egress...

yea I did notice the boat shifting violently lol when I restarted once

WernherVonTrapp
06-17-12, 05:07 AM
Hylaner 1314,

I believe banking was developed by the Knights Tutor....thereby giving us the Friday the 13th superstition.I believe you meant the Knights Templar.http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/archangel501/Smileys/cfee3c67.gif The Teutonic Knights were a Germanic order.

merc4ulfate
06-17-12, 08:36 PM
I like the Knights tutor .... never been tutored to be a Knight before gov'nah