PDA

View Full Version : Damage Q

bill clarke
06-16-12, 03:39 AM
Playing the battle of the Phillipine Sea last night, and I got DC'd.

Ended up with damage to the stern tubes and motor room, had damaged bulkheads, and flooding bad enough to cause me to sink by the stern.

However, the hull damage percentage was at zero, how can you get that kind of damage without having a hull breech?

Anyway, I blew ballast and then levelled out till I started to sink again, did this till compressed air was down to 50%.

So I decided to go out in a blaze of glory, surfaced and took on the nearest DD, got 4 rounds in to it and set it ablaze when I was rammed by and other DD which promptly sank.

I thought this bug had been fixed.

Running WOP, and RSRD.

TorpX
06-16-12, 03:46 AM
What is WOP?

In RFB, you don't have a working hull damage indicator because there was no magic instrument that gave you that info, so you can sink when it says 0%. Could that be the reason?

In any case with all that damage, you certainly had hull damage, no matter what the guage says.

bill clarke
06-16-12, 05:52 AM
Wolves of the Pacific Gold Edition it includes the U boat missions.

merc4ulfate
06-16-12, 08:32 AM
Run TMO with RSRD ... love those two together

Rockin Robbins
06-16-12, 10:02 AM
Agreed. Someone should just paint over that hokey hull damage meter. Where's the dirty underwear meter, the crew morale meter, the target health bars, the powerups you can run over to heal your sub? What kind of a simulation is this? I'm going back to WOW!:har:

Hylander_1314
06-16-12, 10:06 AM
Aren't those part of SH5?

Sailor Steve
06-16-12, 10:47 AM
Someone should just paint over that hokey hull damage meter.
There have been the arguments for it: Damage control would have some idea of how bad things were etc. I'm not going there because I'm not convinced myself. The best in-between solution I've seen so far is h.sie's 'Colored Hull Integrity Meter' for SH3, which just shows a green bar. When you get down to 95% it turns yellow. It goes red at, I think, 30%. Unfortunately no one has done anything similar for SH4.

Aren't those part of SH5?
:rotfl2:

You're pretty close. :rock:

TorpX
06-17-12, 01:15 AM
Yes, I think that would be the best solution. Something that gives you an idea of how much trouble your in. Perhaps, after you break contact and have the crew go over the boat, you would find out more. The uncertainty of not knowing how many more thumps your hull could take would prey on your mind, and give you the feeling of really being in jepordy.

Littica Marek
06-19-12, 12:23 AM
What about it being switched to say Minor / Moderate / extreme "Flooding" rather than a Hull Damage Meter?

A Basic damage report?

bill clarke
06-19-12, 12:59 AM
But how would the crew know what damage had been done to the hull, because the sub had an inner and outer hull.

Sailor Steve
06-19-12, 04:13 AM
The inner hull is the pressure hull. An experienced engineer can make an estimate based on obvious flexing and leakages. The outer hull is free-flooding and for streamlining only. It doesn't matter.

doulos05
06-19-12, 06:40 AM
I'm with Sailor Steve. The pressure hull is what matters and any engineer worth his salt can give you a color-coded triage of that (Green/Yellow/Red/Black) based on what he can see from the inside of the tin-can.