PDA

View Full Version : damage control and deckgun

jason8888
06-13-12, 03:39 AM
Am I supposed to fill these 2 compartments full with people while at dock or do you fill these from existing crew positions ? Im confused on it lol the manual is worthless.

doulos05
06-13-12, 04:06 AM
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Historically, both were formed ad hoc from the crew as needed by the captain, in other words, don't fill the positions draw people from other slots on the boat when you want to use them. However, some people choose to fill the berths before leaving harbor.

Personally, I choose to put the most balanced Seamen I can find in port into the DC team (usually around 5). I aim for good Mechanical, Electrical, and Guns, though 'good' in this case means low 30's. When I need DC, I drop in two Petty Officers to round out the DC team (usually 1 with super-high leadership and 1 with super-high Mechanical/Electrical). When I need the deck gun, I drop in two Petty Officers there as well (usually 1 high leadership, 1 high guns). That strikes the comfortable balance for me between historical accuracy (no DC) and pure gamey-ness (full complements for every slot).

jason8888
06-13-12, 04:41 AM
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Historically, both were formed ad hoc from the crew as needed by the captain, in other words, don't fill the positions draw people from other slots on the boat when you want to use them. However, some people choose to fill the berths before leaving harbor.

Personally, I choose to put the most balanced Seamen I can find in port into the DC team (usually around 5). I aim for good Mechanical, Electrical, and Guns, though 'good' in this case means low 30's. When I need DC, I drop in two Petty Officers to round out the DC team (usually 1 with super-high leadership and 1 with super-high Mechanical/Electrical). When I need the deck gun, I drop in two Petty Officers there as well (usually 1 high leadership, 1 high guns). That strikes the comfortable balance for me between historical accuracy (no DC) and pure gamey-ness (full complements for every slot).

awesome thanks for the info and may all your torpedo's go straight and boom on target

Rockin Robbins
06-13-12, 09:01 AM
Because of a defect in game modeling, those people kept in the deck gun positions while you are submerged take damage as if they were on deck, although they stay dry pretty well unless the rest or the crew gets wet too!

Your best deal is to take the deck watch and deck gun crew and put them below when you submerge.

doulos05
06-15-12, 01:09 AM
This is true, though TMO, at least, seems to have largely fixed this defect. I haven't had a direct DC hit on my sub yet, so maybe when that happens I'll find that not to be the case, but thus far close calls aren't wounding them.