PDA

View Full Version : How Many Survivors?

Carthaginian
06-11-12, 09:32 PM
How many of these smoke floats do I have to chase down in a bloody hurricane? WWII aircraft couldn't fly in this kind of weather, much less consider fighting in a major air battle! I'm getting waves of 20+ feet and the pilots seem to be moving around at a good 8-10 knots.

It's just after Labor Day, and this mission could run till Hunukkah!:down:

I'm tired of following these guys as they drift all over the Soloman Islands.
I've picked up five- which wasn't a bad score for a real sub- and they keep telling me to continue with my mission. Is there a way to get this mission completed?

Sailor Steve
06-11-12, 09:57 PM
Yep. Just don't do it. You can ignore any mission. Don't request another one. Go sink ships. Go home. You may or may not get a renown bonus for each pilot rescued (I haven't played the American side enough to find out), but even if you do it can't match what you get for sinking ships. You don't have to complete any mission, including the ridiculous assignment to photograph Tokyo Bay. Just go home and call it good.

Carthaginian
06-11-12, 10:06 PM
LOL - not the thing I wanted to hear.
Being committed to completing the mission, I hate having to give in and head off. I know that I can simply jump off and start sinking Japansies, but the soldier in me still feels that I should get the job done... even if its only to minimum standards. :doh:

I could understand if it were fair weather, or even partly cloudy with a chance of rain... but a lifeguard mission in this kind of weather makes me think that the admirals in charge of the Op should be keel hauled, boiled in oil, hanged, poisoned, shot, drawn and quartered and cremated.:damn: Any pilot who managed to take off wouldn't be able to fight effectively.

Armistead
06-11-12, 10:34 PM
Remember what the famous sub skipper Josey Whales said...

"Sharks gotta eat same as worms"

Forget the pilots, go find some ships....

Carthaginian
06-11-12, 11:08 PM
The answer- after much ungentlemanly language and not a few thumps to men who were reluctant to grab the lines I threw them- was eight pilots. If you can hold out that long, you can manage to grab the lifeguard mission objective.

Time to go to the Bismark Sea for some hunting.
This time of the war (04OCT42), it's a target rich environment... which is good, because the long ride from Australia is hard on my little Sugar boat. Thankfully, the tender just showed up near Honiara- this makes it easier for me to stay at sea for a while.

MKalafatas
06-12-12, 02:19 AM
Ah, a brother in the S-boat fraternity. October '42 is pretty late to still be driving the dinosaur. Did you decline an upgrade or transfer?

If so, you move into S-boat royalty... ;)

Sailor Steve
06-12-12, 07:30 AM
LOL - not the thing I wanted to hear.
Being committed to completing the mission, I hate having to give in and head off.
I understand. You're talking to the king of the obsessive-compulsive pedantics here. On the other hand many of the mission goals are totally unrealistic. I just wish they had an icon representing the extra people you've taken aboard. It's like they're there only on paper, but not really in your boat and in your way. Back in the SH1 days I used to have imaginary conversations with them, giving them a tour of the boat, showing them how the other half lives.

I still give them all names for my patrol logs.

Carthaginian
06-12-12, 11:45 AM
Ah, a brother in the S-boat fraternity. October '42 is pretty late to still be driving the dinosaur. Did you decline an upgrade or transfer?

If so, you move into S-boat royalty... ;)

Me and my girl are sticking out the war together.
I have declined two transfers so far.:salute:
The bad part is no one in my boat is eligible for promotion.
Now, I completely plan to get her the refits in late '42 and through '43 as they become available... but on my second patrol I put down a Kongo and a Mogami, and since then I have killed a total of 10 destroyers with her- on the high seas, not in port. I've also raided Rabul twice. Why change boats when this one is so lucky?:rock:

EDIT: all realism options are on except Manual Targeting and No Contact Updates.
I figure that is what I have a crew for, you know- to do their jobs. ;)