PDA

View Full Version : Be very thankful for JSGME

Bubblehead1980
06-11-12, 12:49 PM
I need a break from SH 4 so decided to try out a flight sim.I used to play CFS II years ago and loved it but left before the thousands(literally) of mods came out for it or before I was aware.I did not do much gaming until a couple years back when got into SH 4.Anyway, seeing can fly a slew of planes in different theaters etc I decided to load up CFS II.I located a "USS Essex" campaign that seems great.After going over the readme, really dawned on me what a task it is, changing all the various files, installing the ships and planes must have to go with the campaign.I am sure it will be worth it but wow what a pain it is, esp when some modders were so vague in their readmes. Also, the flight sim community seems a less bit organized or detail oriented in some cases.I have ordered IL-2 1946(with the add ons) I hope it works with JSGME because manual installation is a real pain.I know it will be worth it but :damn:

Anyone still run CFS II? Please PM me, I have questions.

Hylander_1314
06-12-12, 06:42 AM
For CFS2, or any of the others, you should join Sim Outhouse, (SOH). They have loads of mods and a CFS2 forum, and everybody over there has been very pleasant with helping to get things sorted out.

Sailor Steve
06-12-12, 07:25 AM
I'm glad you're thankful, but there is really no need to start two separate threads on the same subject.

Bubblehead1980
06-12-12, 03:46 PM
I'm glad you're thankful, but there is really no need to start two separate threads on the same subject.

The sperate threads were an effort to get more answers, had a few PM's with advice already.I wanted advice from here because already have contact with some and can judge those who usually know what they are talking about or not.Calm down Steve, it's just a forum.:salute:

Sailor Steve
06-12-12, 04:44 PM
Calm down Steve, it's just a forum.:salute:
Your explanation is fine. That wisecrack is not.

Rockin Robbins
06-13-12, 09:12 AM
Most mod communities for most games have no clue about JSGME and rely on not always dependable instruction for mod installation. Often times, mod removal is problematic.

I've used JSGME for Counterstrike Source, Unreal Tournament 3, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, IL2, Halo, SH3 and SH4. I'm sure I've used it over the years in places I've forgotten.

That Sir Jones chose to hang out exclusively in the Silent Hunter community and the SH3 community in particular totally astounds me. His program could revolutionize ALL modable games. Well, maybe not Minecraft, as many of those mods are Java based.

Hylander_1314
06-13-12, 09:32 AM
Yep! It is more generic in useage, because it isn't designed for any one game specifically, but it reminds me of the old EAW Manager Program, that I used to use when playing EAW. It let you swap landscape and skin files for planes vehicles, ships, trees and other stuff that would normally change seasonally.

And kinda like having to be in port, you just exited out of the game, applied the changes you wanted, and fired the game back up and went about playing with the changes you implimented.

Fish40
06-13-12, 10:03 AM
I use JSGME for all my sims. I remember back in my SH3 days, I tried JSGME with BOB2WOV to install some mods. It worked, and I mentioned it on the BOB forums at A2A. At the time, very few if any had heard about JSGME. Now it's a staple to mod installation over there. Same with IL2. This utility is the best thing since sliced bread!

Hylander_1314
06-13-12, 12:56 PM
Yep! Same for Over Flanders Fields. It is becoming a top used utility program, as it saves from the labored delete, and re-install if you screw up adding or removing things manually.