PDA

View Full Version : Periscope destroyed after save game.

MattM1121
03-05-12, 11:25 AM
Greetings folks,

I'm using TMO 2.5 and RSRD. Last night I happened on a freighter during the day. I decided to use this time to practice using the sonar and mapping a ships course.

I was watching the ship though the main periscope and decided to save the game. I quit, had dinner, and then brought the game back up. However, after I loaded the save game it shows my periscope completely destroyed.

Is this a known bug? Or was there a series of events that happened that caused this?

I don't know if the scope was damaged before the save.

Thanks for any info.

-Matt

Fish40
03-05-12, 11:45 AM
I'm a RFB/RSRD player myself, but as a rule of thumb never save a game while submerged. Strange things may happen as a result. Some may say that they never encounter problems while saveing while submerged, but I don't take any chances.

MattM1121
03-05-12, 11:49 AM
Ah ha! That would explain a great many sub-space anomalies.

Thanks for the help.

-Matt

I'm a RFB/RSRD player myself, but as a rule of thumb never save a game while submerged. Strange things may happen as a result. Some may say that they never encounter problems while saveing while submerged, but I don't take any chances.

Rockin Robbins
03-05-12, 12:16 PM
Whattttt!!!!!!! After years of playing and this fairy tale of don't save while submerged, in contact with any vessel, in sight of shore, not facing Mecca, this is all garbage carried over from the bad old SH3 days. It no longer applies.

I've saved SH4 in all situations for the express purpose of breaking the game. I'm talking about submerged, in combat, in an enemy harbor, with torpedoes on the way to the target. The game saves flawlessly every single time. In five years I've not had a bad save for any reason I could identify except for saving, then changing my mods and trying to reload.

I've even done THAT on purpose to try to break the game and not even all kinds of mod changes hurt the save. You can safely do boat skins, HUD and plotting screen changes, keyboard reassigns and several other categories of mod installs and uninstalls without hurting your ability to run the saved game.

Forget all those fairy tales. They're about as effective as the NASCAR phobia about green cars, or a sailor's aversion to a cat on board, or not walking under ladders. Just save the game and play! That's what I've done for five years.

The game's save game function is virtually bulletproof! If you have a problem it comes from somewhere else.

Fish40
03-05-12, 12:50 PM
" They're about as effective as the NASCAR phobia about green cars, or a sailor's aversion to a cat on board, or not walking under ladders."

RR, don't forget having Bananas on board! Jeez, I was always under the impression that these "rules" still applied:oops: Glad to hear otherwise.

MattM1121
03-05-12, 01:40 PM
:timeout:

Sorry, didn't mean to start anything. :cry:

Rockin Robbins
03-05-12, 01:41 PM
" They're about as effective as the NASCAR phobia about green cars, or a sailor's aversion to a cat on board, or not walking under ladders."

RR, don't forget having Bananas on board! Jeez, I was always under the impression that these "rules" still applied:oops: Glad to hear otherwise.

Holy cow! I forgot about that one but remember seeing it on "Big Shrimpin'" Quick! Eat em now!:D

Rockin Robbins
03-05-12, 01:42 PM
3/4 of my saves while in contact with enemy ships turns junk....and I am not superstitious, knock on wood. I have had plenty of save problems when saving in contact with enemy ships and so have many of my friends.

Many a times I have come back from a save with a "we're taking damage" report and "periscope destroyed"....and I was on the surface. I only save now when not in contact with the enemy.

Everyone has a different PC that runs the game differently....some may never have save problems while other are plagued with them. To find out how yours works, would be to purposely save in all situations and see what happens.

:hmmm:
My experience base spans multiple computers. No problems. Ever.

By the way, greetings from Windows 8! Don't be impressed, it is not impressive. It's the SH5 of Windows. We go from a sophisticated and debonair Windows XP (hold on--have to go to Firefox on XP because the Metro Internet Exploder doesn't use multiple tabs (excuse me while I cheat wildly)...***8230; Oh @#$%$$ I can't open a tab for Photobucket to cut and paste the link......

Guess I can't do this post in Windows 8. We'll save here and continue in primitive, outdated Windows XP where you can actually get work done. Stay tuned....

Whew! Back home again. Let's proceed. Windows XP, sophisticated, capable, multitasking, civilized: You can work here!
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/screenshot204.jpg

Crap! That is so last year! Let's replace it with the whiz bang modern Windows 8, shall we?
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/Windows8MetroDesktop.jpg

There ya goes pals and gals! To be fair, you can choose from eight or so colors for your background. Metro doesn't multitask and yes those buttons have to be that big, no confusing photographic color pallet allowed, you MUST look at these garish and clashing colors. Why is this that way? Why, because cell phones are that way! Yes, Microsoft has found a way to turn your $1500 computer into a $50 cell phone. Everybody cheer! I had to leave Windows 8 just to make this post. What happens when you attempt to do real work? I'd just load up Windows 3.1 again. It was better.

DrBeast
03-05-12, 01:48 PM
I'd get corrupted saves all the time on my old rig and OS when I saved with contacts and/or submerged. Haven't had one since I revisited the game, but it's only been a few days. Wonder if the ghosts of the past will come back to haunt me? :hmmm:

MattM1121
03-05-12, 02:00 PM
Looks like my crappy new Xbox layout. *ick* Screw this, I'm getting a MAC. Or better yet some Linux thingy.

My experience base spans multiple computers. No problems. Ever.

By the way, greetings from Windows 8! Don't be impressed, it is not impressive. It's the SH5 of Windows. We go from a sophisticated and debonair Windows XP (hold on--have to go to Firefox on XP because the Metro Internet Exploder doesn't use multiple tabs (excuse me while I cheat wildly)...***8230; Oh @#$%$$ I can't open a tab for Photobucket to cut and paste the link......

Guess I can't do this post in Windows 8. We'll save here and continue in primitive, outdated Windows XP where you can actually get work done. Stay tuned....

Whew! Back home again. Let's proceed. Windows XP, sophisticated, capable, multitasking, civilized: You can work here!

Crap! That is so last year! Let's replace it with the whiz bang modern Windows 8, shall we?

There ya goes pals and gals! To be fair, you can choose from eight or so colors for your background. Metro doesn't multitask and yes those buttons have to be that big, no confusing photographic color pallet allowed, you MUST look at these garish and clashing colors. Why is this that way? Why, because cell phones are that way! Yes, Microsoft has found a way to turn your $1500 computer into a $50 cell phone. Everybody cheer! I had to leave Windows 8 just to make this post. What happens when you attempt to do real work? I'd just load up Windows 3.1 again. It was better.

Rockin Robbins
03-05-12, 02:07 PM
With a computer of 2007 vintage that can run the game, no. I ran with an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, Athlon single core slow as Hades processor (3700+), an EVGA 7600GT graphics card and two GB of memory, the minimum that Windows XP liked to run on. This was truly the minimum configuration that SH4 would run on, much worse than any off the shelf computer today.

No save problems. With each of three successive total rebuilds the story is the same. No save problems under any circumstances. I have saved in a harbor, under attack, submerged with a torpedo halfway to the target, reloaded and watched the torpedo strike. If SH4 was going to crash I would have destroyed it.

Conclusion: it is way too easy to have a problem and blame it on something completely coincidental. For thousands of years everybody knew that stomach ulcers were caused by stress and the fix was a super-mild disgusting diet and surgery. Then a doctor who wasn't even a proper researcher discovered the h. pylori bacteria and attributed ulcers to it.

Suddenly the world changed and ulcers were the product of an infection treatable with an antibiotics regime. My wife had one cured that way. All that torture (or most of it anyway) was completely unnecessary and based on a false cause and effect.

Same with SH4. The problem is elsewhere. An effect is not a cause. Separating one from the other is sometimes difficult.

Rockin Robbins
03-05-12, 02:18 PM
Looks like my crappy new Xbox layout. *ick* Screw this, I'm getting a MAC. Or better yet some Linux thingy.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/clownsshortofacircus.gifBad news. They've all caught the sickness. Let's make computers into cell phones!

Mac has already gone that way with their new GUI. It's a disgusting and ugly thing that insults the hardware it runs on.

Windows, you have seen it now. Just take some Pepto Bismol and call me in the morning. By the way, the design WAS pioneered on the Xbox and metastasized like some grotesque cancer to Windows. It needs chemotherapy. One scandalous secret of Windows 8: once you start it, you can't shut an application down except by killing it with the task manager! They say that is really a GOOD feature as memory is cheap..... That is the lamest piece of smarminess I ever heard in my life. I USED to be opposed to the death penalty......

Linux? Well there you have a choice of GUIs. Let's take Ubuntu's Unity. Let's not. It is much better than Windows 8 but the same monochrome colors and big buttons covering your screen. Like Android (a subset of Linux) the apps insist in arraying themselves alphabetically and refusing to be organized in any logical manner that would help you find what you want. Yuk! At least it multitasks.

So let's try another Linux GUI, KDE!. This thing is so alien you can't even figure out how to use it. Now they're joined in that boat by Windows 8 Metro. Yippee! KDE 3 used to be great. 4? Near as I can tell it's a joke. Someday I'll get a book and learn to use it. Wasn't the idea of the computer according to Apple that you never had to touch a manual to use it? Forget THAT! But hey! KDE looks WONDERFUL.

Ok let's load up Gnome 2. Actually this one is still a cell phone abortion. But I have to hand it to them they made it look beautiful and operate semi-well. This is one that looks as great or maybe even better than XP. I use it as my GUI of choice in Ubuntu and I have 12 GUIs to choose from there.

I sure wish the old GDM, Gnome Desktop Manager, were available to use. It isn't. Gnome 2 has a legacy desktop, but its missing a third of the old interface.

So we need somebody to come in and save the world from all these lousy cell phones. Any volunteers?:D

DrBeast
03-05-12, 05:26 PM
So we need somebody to come in and save the world from all these lousy cell phones. Any volunteers?:D

*shrug*
I still use my good, old Nokia 2600. 6 years and counting. I mean, it still works, why change it? But nooo, people like shineys. Not exactly Jobs's fault the whyPhone became all the rage. You catch my drift, yes? :03:

Rockin Robbins
03-06-12, 09:53 AM
Well, I didn't mean REAL cell phones. I mean wannabe computer cell phones. A friend owns an iPhone. When she saw my wife's LePan TC970 tablet ($200), she decided to dump the iPhone, get a tablet and a flip phone.