PDA

View Full Version : problem with save-and-load

She-Wolf
03-02-12, 05:14 AM
hello all :) I am running SH4 1.5 and I WAS running TMO, but kept getting a problem, this being that if I saved and came out of the game in daylight, when I went back in, it was night. This happened two or three times, which was very annoying, even though I started that patrol again. So, just to see if it made a difference, not that I thought TMO was to blame, you understand, I thought I would try a different mod - which I was going to do at some point anyway - and opted for OM.

That problem has not repeated so far in OM, but now, if I Save and Resume, everything is fine, but if I choose Load Game, the game crashes and I have to restart the game to continue.

Any ideas what the problem might be please?

64 bit Windows 7 dual processor

She-Wolf
03-02-12, 09:42 AM
humm, I went back in on a U-boat mission - my how small and primitive the IIB looks now! - and tootled off to the North Sea as Bernard ( slightly worrying). Anyway, have saved and then loaded without any problems, so I guess that suggests it is the Career savs that have the problem, which, I suppose, means that I will have to restart my career with a new profile. (sigh):down:

jldjs
03-02-12, 11:47 AM
What folder are you running SHIV 4 from? Do not use the Programs folder. Put SHIV in the root .
Others more knowledgeable than I respond. Be patient.

She-Wolf
03-02-12, 12:31 PM
hello jldjs:)
the game is installed to a folder not on the root drive, but the savs in Windows 7 are parked in Documents, which is on the C: drive....

I have now started a new career based in Manila ( not so far to go for action) and so far everything is behaving as it should - but without mods....

WernherVonTrapp
03-02-12, 12:59 PM
The "Saved Games" file is in your My Documents folder. The program files, depending on your OS can be found in C:/Program Files OR C:/Program Files (x86) or something to that effect. Anyway, I have had SHIV installed to my Programs (x86) files for years now and have had no problems loading the game. I have had an occasional CTD or failure to load, long ago in the past and quite infrequently. On one occasion, I found an auto-update GUI prompt hanging open when I closed SHIV and, sure enough, when I went to reload a saved game, I got the dreaded "Failure to Run" message from windows.

Though I'm not absolutely certain, I think some of the CTDs or failures to load may be caused by conflicts with other programs running in the BG. I know that on (at least) one occasion, I was experiencing CTDs that were caused by an improperly installed mod. Also, since I began deleting the Saved Games folder (in My Documents) before starting a new career, most of these CTDs or failures to load are a thing of the past. I cannot say for sure that deleting them has solved the problem, but it's still an interesting coincidence that they no longer occur.

She-Wolf
03-02-12, 02:38 PM
Not quite sure what you are referring to dear Wernher, perhaps I am looking in the wrong place? C: Users 'My Documents' ( grouped under Libraries) - SH4-Data-Cnfg. Then you have two saved games folders; RichSaved Games and SaveGames which I do not understand about... which one would I need to delete if necessary - or would it be both?

Computers are fun, Fun, FUN!! :D