PDA

View Full Version : Questions about RSRDC

stegotgame
03-01-12, 02:15 PM
I've recently updated SH4 to 1.5 (Uboat missions) AND at the same time installed RSRDC. My first time playing i noticed that the campaign missions / objectives were different....better i would say....worded differently and a few other small differences.

I also noticed that i dont get war updates / messages anymore.....like the random messages that come in telling you that troops just invaded such and such island.....or that the battle of coral sea has begun or whatever. I liked getting those messages because it gave me little hints as to where to find some good action and I liked trying to get involved in the major battles (Midway, coral sea, etc etc) .

Does RSRDC remove those updates? or does it have something to do with me updating to 1.5 that removed them? I searched a couple posts about RSRDC but it doesnt really get into detail in explaining exactly what the mod does lol.

I'm goin' down
03-01-12, 10:41 PM
RSRDC adds ships, missions, etc. that attempt to replicate the Japanese TF and Convoy routes. For example, the Battle of Leyete Gulf. The Jap TF's are in the right place at the right time, and the ships in the TF are historically accurate. Same for Jap TF running the slot, Battle of Midway, Battle of the Coral Sea, Sinking the Yamato, etc.

stegotgame
03-02-12, 05:55 AM
Odd. I don't know what the deal is then. I'm not getting ANY updates / messages / reports of jap positions anymore. On a side note........does anyone know if there are any maps or timelines out there that show historical dates of battles and/or show where they can be found on the map during campaigns?

I'm goin' down
03-02-12, 07:22 AM
you will not get many reports at the beginning of the war re Japanese Navy positions, as intelligence was poor.

To locate the main battles go on the web and search for "pacific naval battles." You will find a link to a site that lists the battles, dates and forces involved on each side, and maps showing you where the battles occurred. It is not that difficult to figure this out.

WernherVonTrapp
03-02-12, 12:49 PM
As IGD has said, search the web. There are literally volumes of information about ships, battles, campaigns, etc.. All one has to do is but stretch out their Google hands and touch it.:D

I'm goin' down
03-02-12, 02:50 PM
and if you cannot find a battle, ask armistead. He has worked RSRDC to death, including racing off the Bungo Straits to intercept the TF that bombed Pearl Harbor when it returned to home waters.

(I tried to intercept the same TF when it was heading to Hawaii, but caught up with it when it was so dark I could not see the targets. All my shots missed. I was trying to preempt history, and if successful, prevent ubi from creating SH4 (I got that idea from an old Twilight Zone show.))

Armistead
03-02-12, 03:38 PM
You will not get as many messages with RSRD as you do with stock or TMO. When enemy groups are built, you have a value that you can set that determines if it will show up as a message and contact on your screen, with stock many groups are set to show, so you'll see a lot of contacts show up on your map, RSRD not near as many. RSRD also doesn't include all those war messages, subs lost at sea, etc., they're a few mods that add some back, but I haven't tried them.

You will see more contacts pop up later war with RSRD.

I'm goin' down
03-02-12, 03:54 PM
(I knew I could bring you to the surface when I started yakking about RSRDC!) :D

Urge
03-02-12, 04:36 PM
Check out this site

Pacific War Animated (http://www.pacificwaranimated.com/)

It has the when and where for a lot if not all the major sea battles of WW2.

Urge

Armistead
03-02-12, 06:11 PM
(I knew I could bring you to the surface when I started yakking about RSRDC!) :D

Hehe, I don't play RSRD right now, when I play I enjoy TMO alone.
Yea, I miss all the historical traffic, but TMO traffic has much better zig patterns and speeds, not to mention I've added a crap load of ships and traffic to it, so it's fun for now.

I'm goin' down
03-02-12, 07:04 PM
http://combinedfleet.com/battles/

stegotgame
03-03-12, 03:54 AM
and if you cannot find a battle, ask armistead. He has worked RSRDC to death, including racing off the Bungo Straits to intercept the TF that bombed Pearl Harbor when it returned to home waters.

(I tried to intercept the same TF when it was heading to Hawaii, but caught up with it when it was so dark I could not see the targets. All my shots missed. I was trying to preempt history, and if successful, prevent ubi from creating SH4 (I got that idea from an old Twilight Zone show.))

:haha::haha::rotfl2::haha::haha: LOL, this made me laugh. Doesn't the game start AFTER the bombing of PH? Did this require a mod to start at an earlier date or something? Sorry for the noobish questions.....I've joined the SH game far too late but am really digging it so far. :rock:

stegotgame
03-03-12, 03:57 AM
You will not get as many messages with RSRD as you do with stock or TMO. When enemy groups are built, you have a value that you can set that determines if it will show up as a message and contact on your screen, with stock many groups are set to show, so you'll see a lot of contacts show up on your map, RSRD not near as many. RSRD also doesn't include all those war messages, subs lost at sea, etc., they're a few mods that add some back, but I haven't tried them.

You will see more contacts pop up later war with RSRD.

Thank you. This was exactly the answer i was looking for. I just didn't know if it was RSRDC that made the change....or if it had something to do with me updating to 1.5 at the same time. So really, playing with less reports is more realistic maybe? Did skippers in WW2 have many transmissions coming in telling them about war updates / battles that were taking place around the Pacific?

Armistead
03-03-12, 08:52 AM
Thank you. This was exactly the answer i was looking for. I just didn't know if it was RSRDC that made the change....or if it had something to do with me updating to 1.5 at the same time. So really, playing with less reports is more realistic maybe? Did skippers in WW2 have many transmissions coming in telling them about war updates / battles that were taking place around the Pacific?

Well, it's hard to determine if it's less realistic as we lack several real factors due to code, certainly more realistic than stock where contacts constantly show. Obvious we had the benefit of reading Japanese code and know many times where convoys were and if subs were near they would be sent a message and placed near the position, but messages weren't sent to every sub, just those in or near that area that could attack.

Seldom was anything mentioned of upcoming battles if we had the info, the need was to protect the fact we could read the jap code, so skippers were often in the dark to as why they were where they were, but they caught on later war and many figured we were reading their code.

peabody
03-03-12, 11:26 AM
:haha::haha::rotfl2::haha::haha: LOL, this made me laugh. Doesn't the game start AFTER the bombing of PH? Did this require a mod to start at an earlier date or something? Sorry for the noobish questions.....I've joined the SH game far too late but am really digging it so far. :rock:

Some of the stock battles were written incorrectly. One of them is the Attack on Pearl Harbor. I don't know if you know how to write missions but this is the problem. They put the correct start date for the ships, but Dec 7, 1941 for the start date of the mission, and the ships are just leaving home waters. But even that is written wrong because the mission will not start until the game starts.
What they should have done is set the start date of the mission for 11/26/1941 the same as the date on the ships and check the "evolve from entry date" and the mission would have actually started on time, and the ships would be where they belong.

I'm goin' down
03-03-12, 11:50 AM

there is a mod for pre December 7th start datec reated by fred8615 (the captain who created all of the radio station music mod downloads.) Here is the link. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=864717#post864717 RSRDC contains the TF that attacked Pearl despite the fact that the attack predates the start date of the stock game. So, how do you combine RSRDC with the stock game to intercept it? Easy. Fred's mod solves the problem, and gives you a chance to intercept it. I witnessed (i.e. saw with my eyes while glaring through the Attack periscope) part of the Yamamoto's TF cruise by in the predawn hours on December 7, 1941, around 5 a.m., but I missed it when it headed home, as it was still dark after the TF launched the attack aircrapt. Unfortunately for my boat and subsim lore, the TF changed position, and I could not catch it. The TF was moving fast. Really fast. But when they reached the Bungo Strait, old armistead was waiting for them, the lucky b........! He gets all of the glory. It's not fair, as I, like Achilles fleet afoot at the Battle for Troy (cross reference the Iliad written between 700-1100 BC), am the Great Warrior, who lays waste to thine enemies, and the Barbarinna is my feared WEAPON OF DESTRUCTION. (Is it time for me to take my pills yet, Doc?)

Armistead
03-03-12, 02:04 PM
Lurker did a nice job with the Pearl Attack , but as I see no way you can attack it from Pearl without Fred's mod, but if you haul arse from Manila to the Bungo at flank speed you can intercept it. Been some while since I looked, but I think he only did the ships, not the planes.

WernherVonTrapp
03-03-12, 03:30 PM
Well, it's hard to determine if it's less realistic as we lack several real factors due to code, certainly more realistic than stock where contacts constantly show. Obvious we had the benefit of reading Japanese code and know many times where convoys were and if subs were near they would be sent a message and placed near the position, but messages weren't sent to every sub, just those in or near that area that could attack.

Seldom was anything mentioned of upcoming battles if we had the info, the need was to protect the fact we could read the jap code, so skippers were often in the dark to as why they were where they were, but they caught on later war and many figured we were reading their code.Actually, it wasn't until the battle for Midway that we had any kind of grasp over the Japanese code, thanks exclusively to Commander Joseph Rochefort, whom Nimitz decided to keep on active duty after the post Pearl Harbor naval purge. Still, shortly after Midway (I don't recall the exact timeframe), Yamamoto suspected that the IJN code may have been compromised and subsequently changed the code (according to some accounts, others say the code change was a matter of protocol/course).
As far as the fleetboats were concerned, I have read accounts that say the early war intelligence was often incorrect or unreliable. Now this is probably not even taken into account in the Stock version and I'm not sure if the mods address this, but the unreliability of these reports was cause enough for me to ignore most of the "contact reports" unless I already knew it was trustworthy.:03:

Armistead
03-03-12, 08:10 PM
Actually, it wasn't until the battle for Midway that we had any kind of grasp over the Japanese code, thanks exclusively to Commander Joseph Rochefort, whom Nimitz decided to keep on active duty after the post Pearl Harbor naval purge. Still, shortly after Midway (I don't recall the exact timeframe), Yamamoto suspected that the IJN code may have been compromised and subsequently changed the code (according to some accounts, others say the code change was a matter of protocol/course).
As far as the fleetboats were concerned, I have read accounts that say the early war intelligence was often incorrect or unreliable. Now this is probably not even taken into account in the Stock version and I'm not sure if the mods address this, but the unreliability of these reports was cause enough for me to ignore most of the "contact reports" unless I already knew it was trustworthy.:03:

If you get a contact in game it's realiable, anytime a group is built in the ME you can choose if the contact will show or not, stock shows many, RSRD less, but you get more later on. Still, subs were given lot's of contacts on groups once we got the code down, I often wonder if RSRD should have more, because over all you don't get many of them.

I'm goin' down
03-03-12, 08:43 PM
I like searching the internet for the battles, and then checking to see if RSRDC programmed them. So far, RSRDC is on the money, including two carriers that entered the Coral Sea at 3 a.m. during that battle. I thought it was great!!

WernherVonTrapp
03-03-12, 09:45 PM
..., anytime a group is built in the ME you can choose if the contact will show or not,...I don't understand. What do you mean by, "you can choose"?

Armistead
03-04-12, 02:49 AM
I don't understand. What do you mean by, "you can choose"?

Well, I use mostly the batch editor, but with the ME or batch when you build a group you have settings to choose if you want that group to show up as a "contact" during the game. Simply, when you get contact reports for the battle of PS you'll get several contact reports of the groups moving giving you location, that's because it was set to show as a contact when the group was built. They're some other factors you can set as well, probablity, priority, etc..

WernherVonTrapp
03-04-12, 03:29 AM
Ahh, OK, got it.:up: