PDA

View Full Version : THE best mod

hcs53
02-28-12, 08:27 AM
Can you tell me What's better(most realistisch)TMO or RFB?

Fish40
02-28-12, 08:38 AM
The general rule of thumb is that for more realism, RFB is the mod.

Sailor Steve
02-28-12, 10:46 AM
RFB is technically more accurate. TMO will force you to play more realistically.

hcs53
02-28-12, 11:24 AM
Thanks for your help,
If TMO will force you to play more realistically what mods do I have to install at this moment?

thanks, Henny

Armistead
02-28-12, 11:29 AM
Having played both I would say TMO doe's make you play more realistically, the AI is rather easily defeated in RFB.

I'm goin' down
02-28-12, 02:11 PM
Thanks for your help,
If TMO will force you to play more realistically what mods do I have to install at this moment?

thanks, Henny

I spent awhile considering your question. My answer is: the mod known as TMO.:D (aka Trigger Maru Overhauled)

Feel free to ask questions like that any time!

Bilge_Rat
02-28-12, 02:26 PM
Having played both, I would say that TMO and RFB are equally "realistic" within the limitations of the game. That is assuming you play at 100% realism and use the add-on RSRDC campaign mod.

RFB is probably more accurate on various technical aspects, but TMO is more immersive. TMO is also more current since it includes Nisgeis's 3d TDC mod. I have been trying to integrate it into RFB, but it is slow going.

The best way to decide is to try both and see which one you like best.

WernherVonTrapp
02-28-12, 03:51 PM
I have to agree with the consensus here. Having also played both RFB and TMO, TMO is IMO the way to go. I have always run RSRDC in tandem with TMO for the historical battles and convoy routes.:up:

hcs53
02-28-12, 05:23 PM
TMO/RSRDC:DL

Hylander_1314
02-28-12, 08:03 PM
Aside from TMO and RFB, there is also Fall Of The Rising Sun. It incorporates more and varried shipping to shoot at from merchants to warships.

There is also a wider range of aircraft that you might see in the game. The current version is 1.3, but an update is in he works, but it will be some time before it's released I'm guessing due to all the work that's going into it.

Right now, my mod of choice is TMO. But if you have the room, load in MultiSH4, and you can have all the mods on your hard drive, and depending on how you feel, you can play whatever mod grabs you at the moment.

I'm goin' down
02-28-12, 08:37 PM
The question is not what is the best mod set up or mod combination. The question is about the best mod....Singullar, not Plural. Doesn't anyone read except me, aaronblood and CapnScurvy? (Note how I casually managed to align myself with two geniuses. (I am so clever, I continually amaze myself!).)

One of the best is floating Dead Bodies, taken from PE. Couple that that with mod that has white sharks, and you have one of the best mod combinations ever, if only the white sharks get hungry enough to make an appearance, which they rarely do. Unfortunately, that was not the question!

bebop
02-29-12, 01:34 AM
Oops... I used OM. Haven't tried others that much except TMO. Will try RFB asap.Anyway, does RFB have sound effects as in TMO (dive dive dive..) ??

Thanx

Stealhead
02-29-12, 02:41 AM
Yes RFB has lots of added sound effects for diving and such they are different from the ones used in TMO for the most part. RFB also has a different diesel sound than TMO.It generally takes a much stricter view historically crew set up wise and boat/upgrade wise it has a much less accurate deck gun and when you use the binoculars things get in your way like crewman and parts of the bridge so you have to "move" around like you might really do to get a better vantage.It also requires a bit more player input in crew positioning you have to move more men around for certain actions for some this is provides more immersion.RFB also has a "natural sinking" mod that changes the sinking dynamics alot so it mat take a vessel a long time to sink.

RFB does not really change the AI very much and even though it does focus more on historical accuracy there are some things that are not really that accurate for example they have the boats dive a bit too fast if you ask me they have them move too fast in the water.They also make the 20mm guns disappear while you submerge the 20mm cannon where wet mounts they actually only removed the 60 round drum magazines and lubed the hell out of the guns they where recoil operated so where highly durable that was one of the reasons they replaced the old water cooled .50 cals because those had to be stored inside the hull and the 20mm they found could be wet mounted sans drum magazine.

You know TMO fairly well it is generally historically accurate though it has things that are kept to keep the game enjoyable like the deck gun it is more user friendly than RFBs and you can get certain weapons systems like the 40mm before they where readily available torpedoes as well in some cases.That really is not too much of a stretch because there where some 40mm available in late 43 but they where not common until 44 for a while some boats that really wanted them used US Army 37mm guns instead made by Bofors as well.TMO allows you to have 3 20mm cannon mounts after a certain date I dont think RFB ever allows you to have 3 mounts ever.You could say that TMO treats you like a good skipper and gives the best available gear and RFB treats you as if you are in WestPac even if you are in Pearl.TMO has much better AI but you can learn its ways and exploit them.

FOTRS I have only messed around with but it seems like TMO with a crap load extra vessels and aircraft too much extra deatil than needed for my tastes and hard drive space.

And why oops for playing OM? That is an excellent "mega mod" the ones who have not played OM are the ones that should be saying oops. :salute:

Every one is different obviously we all have an interest in submarines but there are plenty of flavors to go around only you can prevent forest fires..er I meant to say only you can know what mod you like the best.Might as well try them all think of mods like beer.

bebop
02-29-12, 04:28 AM
Yes RFB has lots of added sound effects for diving and such they are different from the ones used in TMO for the most part. RFB also has a different diesel sound than TMO.It generally takes a much stricter view historically crew set up wise and boat/upgrade wise it has a much less accurate deck gun and when you use the binoculars things get in your way like crewman and parts of the bridge so you have to "move" around like you might really do to get a better vantage.It also requires a bit more player input in crew positioning you have to move more men around for certain actions for some this is provides more immersion.RFB also has a "natural sinking" mod that changes the sinking dynamics alot so it mat take a vessel a long time to sink.

RFB does not really change the AI very much and even though it does focus more on historical accuracy there are some things that are not really that accurate for example they have the boats dive a bit too fast if you ask me they have them move too fast in the water.They also make the 20mm guns disappear while you submerge the 20mm cannon where wet mounts they actually only removed the 60 round drum magazines and lubed the hell out of the guns they where recoil operated so where highly durable that was one of the reasons they replaced the old water cooled .50 cals because those had to be stored inside the hull and the 20mm they found could be wet mounted sans drum magazine.

You know TMO fairly well it is generally historically accurate though it has things that are kept to keep the game enjoyable like the deck gun it is more user friendly than RFBs and you can get certain weapons systems like the 40mm before they where readily available torpedoes as well in some cases.That really is not too much of a stretch because there where some 40mm available in late 43 but they where not common until 44 for a while some boats that really wanted them used US Army 37mm guns instead made by Bofors as well.TMO allows you to have 3 20mm cannon mounts after a certain date I dont think RFB ever allows you to have 3 mounts ever.You could say that TMO treats you like a good skipper and gives the best available gear and RFB treats you as if you are in WestPac even if you are in Pearl.TMO has much better AI but you can learn its ways and exploit them.

FOTRS I have only messed around with but it seems like TMO with a crap load extra vessels and aircraft too much extra deatil than needed for my tastes and hard drive space.

And why oops for playing OM? That is an excellent "mega mod" the ones who have not played OM are the ones that should be saying oops. :salute:

Every one is different obviously we all have an interest in submarines but there are plenty of flavors to go around only you can prevent forest fires..er I meant to say only you can know what mod you like the best.Might as well try them all think of mods like beer.

Well said mate ....

Thank you for the short review.

Regards

Nisgeis
02-29-12, 02:34 PM
TMO is also more current since it includes Nisgeis's 3d TDC mod. I have been trying to integrate it into RFB, but it is slow going.

Yikes! I'll bet it's slow. Good luck, if you need any info, let me know. :yeah:

I'm goin' down
02-29-12, 02:58 PM
OM is a great mod. I had a setup with OM/OMEGU/Kiub. It takes some work to figure out manual targeting, but once solved it is a heck of an attack tool. I posted on how to maunual target in a UBoat, but I do not see the post in the threads. It is the same theory as manual targeting for American boats, but you set the dials differently.

You can supplement it with RSRDC, and use the UBoat in the Pacific Theater.

Bilge_Rat
02-29-12, 03:09 PM
Yikes! I'll bet it's slow. Good luck, if you need any info, let me know. :yeah:

since you asked...:D...

Up to now, I have tried various shortcuts,( i.e. just dropping the mod in w/without the camera file or dropping in the equivalent TMO files). However, all the files are interlinked so it is not a perfect fit. I next tried with Winmerge, which was also not successful.

next, I am planning to go through the files with the S3d editor, compare the changes and import them into the relevant RFB files (or copy the RFB changes into your files, which may be easier). From what I see, there are only 2 DAT and 2 SIM files to go through. I presume the DDS and TGA files in the texture folder can be used as is?

of course, if I knew what variables were changed/added in the DAT and SIM files, it would be easier...:D...

Nisgeis
02-29-12, 04:25 PM
Just the coinning tower files are changed, so NSS_Gato_CT.dat and NSS_Gato_CT.sim.

The radar is pretty much all under one node in the dat file that can all be moved together, but the TDC is a bit less tidy, but all the parts are next to each other and everything is labelled properly with what it is (which took a long time). Probably easiest to make a copy of the dat, delete all the entries you don't want and then save it as a dat with only the TDC and radar data in it and the import that into the conning tower you want and then line it all up.

The sim file is a bit more tricky, as it's not got any parent relationships to keep it all together, but again everything is labelled properly.

Stealhead
02-29-12, 04:28 PM
OM is a great mod. I had a setup with OM/OMEGU/Kiub. It takes some work to figure out manual targeting, but once solved it is a heck of an attack tool. I posted on how to maunual target in a UBoat, but I do not see the post in the threads. It is the same theory as manual targeting for American boats, but you set the dials differently.

You can supplement it with RSRDC, and use the UBoat in the Pacific Theater.

I think what throws people is the differences between the US and German TDCs the US one gives you visual aid with the PK dial and you have the aid of the model on the American dials which is helpful you even get the little arrows which shows you port and fore tube track.gyro angle.The US TDC is much more user friendly but of course the game does not allow you to manipulate the entire American TDC with the German one (as far I understand anyway) you have as much control as the real one allowed.

hcs53
03-01-12, 02:54 PM
I have installed Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502

Do I need also V5xx patch 1 and SH15 V550 ?

I also read: TMO is also more current since it includes Nisgeis's 3d TDC mod.
What does it means?:oops:

magic452
03-01-12, 11:44 PM
I have installed Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502

Do I need also V5xx patch 1 and SH15 V550 ?

I also read: TMO is also more current since it includes Nisgeis's 3d TDC mod.
What does it means?:oops:

TMO 2.5 is the very latest TMO and among other things added the 3D TDC.

I think you need to add the RSRD patches, I haven't run RSRD for a long time. It hasn't been updated for some time so I would add the patches.

Nisgeis's 3D TDC is an excellent piece of work.
What it does is give you a very functional TDC screen. You can input your TDC data on this screen and is is much more accurate. Also adds a more functional Radar and both are fun to use, the Radar is kind o' hard to learn but it's great.

Magic

hcs53
03-02-12, 08:04 AM
Thanks Magic452,can you tell me how I can use THE option" Nisgeis 3D" ?

hcs53
03-02-12, 11:38 AM
I found it,only for the Gato.:cry: