PDA

View Full Version : Manual Targeting using Uboat

bebop
02-27-12, 12:45 PM
Hi there

I finally succeeded in manual targeting using US subs. The tutorial videos on youtube are very much helpful. After 4 days, I have 90% of accuracy. But when using uboat, i found it harder... i dont have the white x following the target on the map, and i cant adjust the torpedo's angle like in us subs. And how do i change the torpedo's speed? the new interface gives me quite troubles. Any advice?

Thank you.

Flaxpants
02-27-12, 10:57 PM
It's a whole new kettle of fish....The U-boats TDC was not as advanced as its American counterpart in that the US TDC has the Position Keeper which tracks your targets and your subs position simultaneously, meaning once you have a decent firing solution you can still move your sub and the PK maintains the solution- the U-boats did not have such a device, their TDC only tracks the target, meaning that as soon as you move your sub you are effectively losing any firing solution you may have had.

The main thing to get your head round is the fact that the U-boats TDC settings are all slaved to the movemnent of the periscope, unlike the US subs. I went the other way, from U-boats to the Fleet boats, and this was the one thing that took me some time to adapt to.

There is a dial for changing the torpedo speed, and usually it is near to (and the same kind of dial as) the impact/ magnetic dial.

bebop
02-28-12, 02:48 AM
It's a whole new kettle of fish....The U-boats TDC was not as advanced as its American counterpart in that the US TDC has the Position Keeper which tracks your targets and your subs position simultaneously, meaning once you have a decent firing solution you can still move your sub and the PK maintains the solution- the U-boats did not have such a device, their TDC only tracks the target, meaning that as soon as you move your sub you are effectively losing any firing solution you may have had.

The main thing to get your head round is the fact that the U-boats TDC settings are all slaved to the movemnent of the periscope, unlike the US subs. I went the other way, from U-boats to the Fleet boats, and this was the one thing that took me some time to adapt to.

There is a dial for changing the torpedo speed, and usually it is near to (and the same kind of dial as) the impact/ magnetic dial.

Okay got it. So, U boat TDC is less effective when targeting moving targets no matter how often we update the mast, angle and speed? or should I get closer and closer to the targets to get more accuracy?

The reason why I prefer Uboat is because their historical campaign in the atlantic theater, I am not sure pacific sub operations were as popular as uboats.

I wonder why uboats and us subs had different technology? frankly, i was quite amazed with Das Boot movie when they precisely estimated the target under a destroyer attack.

regards

Flaxpants
02-28-12, 03:17 AM
Okay got it. So, U boat TDC is less effective when targeting moving targets no matter how often we update the mast, angle and speed? or should I get closer and closer to the targets to get more accuracy?

The reason why I prefer Uboat is because their historical campaign in the atlantic theater, I am not sure pacific sub operations were as popular as uboats.

I wonder why uboats and us subs had different technology? frankly, i was quite amazed with Das Boot movie when they precisely estimated the target under a destroyer attack.

regards

The U-boat TDC is equally effective at tracking a moving target, it's only when you move the position of your sub that the solution becomes wrong. In other words, attack whilst stationary, or moving slowly forward, but do not change course, and then you can gather your target information as you would with a US sub, repeated readings, refining etc...It is as accurate as the US TDC, it just needs to be used differently as it does not take into account your subs position. The fleet boat TDC you can obviously move the sub wherever you want and your solution will still be correct (presuming it was correct before you moved of course) as it tracks both the target, and your subs position.

The American TDC/PK was kept a secret until well after the war, the germans had no idea about the technology.

Recommend you read up on the tips and tricks sticky, worth while also looking at some tutorials for SH3 TDC which apply here too.

Good luck!

bebop
02-28-12, 04:46 AM
attack whilst stationary, or moving slowly forward, but do not change course, and then you can gather your target information as you would with a US sub, repeated readings, refining etc...It is as accurate as the US TDC, it just needs to be used differently as it does not take into account your subs position.... The fleet boat TDC you can obviously move the sub wherever you want and your solution will still be correct (presuming it was correct before you moved of course) as it tracks both the target, and your subs position.

Good luck!

Gee thanx sir. That helps to picture what i must comprehend later. Correct me if im wrong, so it'll be much better if I stick with current course instead of changing it, and engage minimum speed? and is it correct that I should fire torpedos only when the green line is straight on the attack map? (I saw it on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NVbDY4ICk), he fired when the line is straight (as in fleet boat, it is not necessary to have it straight.

I will take a look some sticky threads as you suggested. Thank you again. :)

Regards

Flaxpants
02-28-12, 05:40 AM
I'm not sure what you're looking at when you see the green line, probably the torpedo track. It's better sure to have it as straight as possible- basically it shows your gyroangle, straighter is less erroneous.

You can read your gyroangle also on the TDC. Also better to hit at near to 90 degree angle on targets. The German torps were less likely to be duds.

Cheers